I'm ready to challenge Big Brother over Taking the Lane

Old August 17th 09, 09:50 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default It's simple enough: Good vs. Evil

(And I know who's who here)

Originally Posted by crhilton
"It's not more evil. Not even close. From using bikeforums for quite a
while I'd guess that more than half of the users on here aren't
"trying to save the planet" at all. If you actually want to save the
planet there are forums for that. I'd start by checking out veganism.
They've got a better claim for saving the planet than we do."

***

And with the Banana Revolution I'd fit right in with the vegans,
right?

But do you know that actually any effort that you personally do may
start with diet and riding a bike?

Vegan bikers vs. carnivorous drivers (good vs. evil)... the
battlefront is set.

The roads are a lot like the jungle: lots of predators and death can
come suddenly. But it's also fun. Just keep your eyes open when you
ride.

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

Old August 22nd 09, 03:41 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE!

Originally Posted by Chris516
"This is what I keep telling my parents, who are trying to convince
me, not to ride in the road. But they never listen to what I keep
telling them, about the condition of the sidewalks and, how it is
easier to navigate hazards in the road than, on the sidewalk. I even
fell off the sidewalk, into the road, because of large hazard on the
sidewalk."

***

I recently lost balance in one those cracks on the sidewalk, and only
my Electra Towney saved me...

I explain: being so low ("flat foot techonology" they call it) I
planted my foot firmly on the ground, so firmly that it hurt, and
barely escaped breaking a bone.

On the road, on the other hand, is far safer... unless you get hit by
a car.

BETWEEN A ROCK AND A HARD PLACE!

Old August 23rd 09, 03:42 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default I'm assuming the role of plaintiff

Originally Posted by JohnBrooking
"Depends on the road. I don't know about Florida, but here in Maine,
some lanes are wide enough, by which I mean 14' or wider. Not the
majority, by any means, but the occasional one. Certainly, we are
entitled legally to the full lane when it's not wide enough to share.
But to say we always are, in all lanes, is not 100% legally accurate,
either in Florida or Maine (whose statute is very similar to
Florida's). We may wish otherwise, but that's what the law says (for
now)."

***

OK, I dare anyone to show me a picture where a bike and a Supersized
SUV both fit on the same lane while in movement.

The SUV itself is close to 8 1/2' while the space b/ car and bike
should be 3 feet minimum, that's 11 1/2', so that leaves 2 1/2 feet
for the bike... That's rather UNSAFE, isn't it?

And so you go ahead and measure it, and any lane that's 14' or
narrower gives you the right to take the lane.

I rest my case.

(I'm assuming the role of plaintiff, since no lawyers have taken the
case so far)