Anybody ride the Nashoba Valley Fall Century today?

Old September 10th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Dave Stallard

Default Anybody ride the Nashoba Valley Fall Century today?

I was hoping to ride the full 100 to Hollis NH today. Thought I was
following all the cue arrows correctly, and did so at least up to
Wayside Inn. Somehow, I wound up on a freshly-NVP-arrowed route that
took me into Concord - not right! I realized the mistake and boogied
back along 117 to pick up the road to Harvard, but the damage was done,
and I got there later than I had expected. So I wound up riding the 75
instead. GARRR!

I'm thinking maybe I got myself on the 25 mile route, but I didn't see a
split indicator (the 75 vs. 100 split, by contrast, was very well
signed). The sheet says "Left on Sudbury Rd (25 goes straight)". Did
I miss that? I wound up riding 111 miles total, because my house is
some distance from the starting point, but still I had wanted to do the
Hollis route. Beautiful day for it in any case.

Finally starting to come down from all the GU gels I had in Dunstable
hours ago. I hate arrowed routes - I'd rather look at the scenery than
look for arrows. Oh well, there's always next year.

GARRR!!

Dave
Old September 10th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing,rec.bicycles.rides
Bob in CT

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 21:12:05 -0400, Dave Stallard
wrote:

[...]

I purchased a GPS and put in all the data for the routes I've done. This
makes it much easier. (Although I did make one mistake one time and
everyone went one way while my GPS told me to go another way.)

--
Bob in CT
Old September 12th 06, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dave Stallard

wrote:

[...]

I've thought about that, but we're talking ~100s of waypoints to enter.
That's a lot. Is there a way to enter them as street intersections:
"X street and Y street in so-and-so"?

Dave
Old September 12th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
peter

Dave Stallard wrote:

I purchased a GPS and put in all the data for the routes I've done.
This makes it much easier. (Although I did make one mistake one time
and everyone went one way while my GPS told me to go another way.)

I've thought about that, but we're talking ~100s of waypoints to enter.
That's a lot. Is there a way to enter them as street intersections:
"X street and Y street in so-and-so"?

You could since there are programs that will convert intersections to
lat/long coordinates. But it sounds like much more work than just
using mouse clicks on a map.
Does your century ride really have hundreds of intersections where you
need to turn? I just checked our club's three century routes and they
have 32, 40, and 75 turns respectively.

Once you've done a ride once you can store the tracklog on your PC and
load it back into the GPS later.

Old September 12th 06, 07:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Chris BeHanna

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 00:02:40 -0400, Dave Stallard wrote:

Bob in CT wrote:
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 21:12:05 -0400, Dave Stallard
wrote:

[...got misdirected on a century ride, and ended up only riding 75...]

[...try a GPS...]

I've thought about that, but we're talking ~100s of waypoints to enter.
That's a lot. Is there a way to enter them as street intersections:
"X street and Y street in so-and-so"?

You can lay out the route on gmaps-pedometer and download it as a set of
waypoints. You might also be able to do that on routeslip. I'm not
completely sure--I don't own a GPS, so I haven't paid much attention.
gmaps lists the feature prominently, which is the only reason I know that
it exists.

--
Chris BeHanna