Las Vegas, NV - need training road rides

Old October 4th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default Las Vegas, NV - need training road rides

Hi,

I'll be in Vegas for a week solid starting Saturday - bringing the bike
so I don't miss any training. Will be located just near UNLV/airport
(75 E Harmon Ave). I'll have a car, but rather use the hotel as a base
than drive.

Do I have any options other than the Blue Diamond - Charleston Loop?

What's the best way to deal with the traffic? I mean, what's the
quickest way OUT of the traffic from this specific location?

Any other tips/suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Old October 5th 06, 08:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Local clubs http://www.greenvalleycyclists.org
http://www.vegasbikeclub.org

The strip is very dangerous and the roads surrounding the strip are
equally dangerous, not to mention the drunks driving around. Get a
rental car and go to the west side near Red Rock Canyon. That climb
will give you plenty of training for hills. You can also ride around
Lake Mead Recreational area for some hill training. Checkout the routes
on the Green Valley site, there are pleny of good suggestions.

After the RR Loop you can take Hwy 159 to Blue Diamond. There is a bike
shop there and a nice little grocery store. It is a cyclist/biker/local
hangout and quite nice. It is also a location for a lot of Mtn biking
if you are so inclined. One last thing. You can take Hwy 159 past Blue
Diamond to Hwy 160. Turn right and climb Mt Potosi. Nice wide shoulder
the whole way up. It is a 10 mile climb and a great workout. Turn
around at the mailboxes at the summit and ride on down back to Red
Rock. That should give you about 50+ miles or so.

If you decide to ride Lake Mead, there are two options on the GVC site
I believe. If you head out Lake Mead Blvd (east side of town) there is
a bait shop just across from the entrance to Lake Las Vegas. (Take I-15
south to I-215 east to the Henderson Exit). You can park there and do
the South Lake Loop to Boulder City and back to the Bait shop. The loop
is 33 miles and its all right hand turns. Lotsa rollers and about a 4
mile climb out of the lake to BC.

(combined from several posts on http://www.bikejournal.com )

wrote:
Hi,

I'll be in Vegas for a week solid starting Saturday - bringing the bike
so I don't miss any training. Will be located just near UNLV/airport
(75 E Harmon Ave). I'll have a car, but rather use the hotel as a base
than drive.

Do I have any options other than the Blue Diamond - Charleston Loop?

What's the best way to deal with the traffic? I mean, what's the
quickest way OUT of the traffic from this specific location?

Any other tips/suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

Best bicycle bell? Bruce W.1 Techniques 49 October 1st 06 04:01 AM
Mont Tremblant Quebec cyclists dream road [email protected] Rides 0 July 13th 06 03:37 AM
ReL lactate testing / training Andy Coggan Racing 0 July 15th 04 10:18 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ kingsley Australia 4 December 15th 03 12:08 AM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM