Ile-de-France near Paris

Old July 18th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

Default Ile-de-France near Paris

Sharon and I had several fun days of riding our tandem in the Ile-de-France
region which surrounds the city of Paris. On previous trips to France, we
somehow thought we needed to go to some outlying area to find the
world-class riding of France: Dordogne + Lot, Loire valley, Alsace,
Bourgogne.

But now it's seeming like some of the most fun riding in France for us is
close by Paris. We tried riding around Giverny + Vetheuil (75 km / 47 miles
to the northwest of Paris), Chantilly + Neuilly-en-Thelle (38 km / 24 miles
to the north), and Fontainebleau + Milly-la-Foret (57km / 36 miles to the
southeast of Paris).

This is good for us, since it means we can combine countryside bicycle rides
with evening visits to the city of Paris. All three of those rides are near
train service to Paris. And the riding in Ile-de-France is much closer to
major international airports which we can conveniently fly to.

On our rides we like variety, so in the countryside, we like seeing multiple
kinds of animals, different kinds of fields and forests and gardens,
different kinds of houses and building architecture, villages with multiple
food + drink options which tend to be open for business when we ride
through, a couple of historic sites which we could visit (but often don't).
3 out of 3 rides, the Ile-de-France region delivered on most of those. And
the city of Paris delivered on its special qualities.

So now we've bought the L'Ile-de-France a Velo map by IGN 1:100000 with 100
loop routes. Though actually the 1:200000 Michelin or Blay-Foldex maps with
scenic roads highlighed in green have been plenty useful for planning rides
for us. The original stimulus for trying out more riding in Ile-de-France
(and many of the roads for 2 out of the 3 rides) was the "Cycling France"
guidebook by Sally Dillon and others (Lonely Planet, 2001) -- still the best
English-language bicycling guidebook for France I know of.

Ken

P.S. My theory of why the countryside near Paris is often more interesting
than the farther provinces . . .

The problem with truly rural areas is that they tend to focus on agriculture
as a _business_, which tends to imply that they focus growing one or two
things which optimize profits (or subsidized losses?) for the soil and
weather of that area. Like the Alsace region has lots of vineyards and
orchards, but not many cattle or animals. Like the Bourgogne region has lots
of all-white Charolais cattle, but not many other animals. And business
agriculture tends to have lots of large open fields, but not many
farmhouses. Also not as many (non-migrant) people are needed to make modern
business farming work, so lots of villages we ride through don't have any
shops open to purchase food or replacement hydration more on lots of days
and hours.

What's interesting for us in the region closer around Paris is that there's
still farming, but it seemed to us like some of is "gentleman" farming, or
"semi-hobby" farming -- perhaps supported by a family member with a
good-paying job in Paris, or retired from a good job in Paris. Semi-hobby
farming implies non-optimized farming, which implies _variety_: Different
vegetable crops, more over-sized gardens, horses, cows, sheep. It implies
more farm-houses, since part of the idea of a hobby is to get your hands on
the growing stuff (when you choose to). Money from good-paying jobs implies
multiple bakeries open in the quaint little village. Implies money to
renovate old stone houses. Money to widen roads and pave them better. And
lots of people out riding nice bikes on those roads (? perhaps to work off
some stress from those good-paying jobs + commutes ?)

Old July 19th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Ken Roberts wrote:
Sharon and I had several fun days of riding our tandem in the Ile-de-France
region which surrounds the city of Paris. On previous trips to France, we
somehow thought we needed to go to some outlying area to find the
world-class riding of France: Dordogne + Lot, Loire valley, Alsace,
Bourgogne.

The Loire Valley is boring cycling. I've done it. The others are great.
The coast of Brittany is also interesting as are the Auvergne,
Provence, Haut-Provence, Savoie, Pays du Doubs etc.

Old September 9th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

In

http://www.mdb-idf.org/asso/balades/...mme/index.html

there is a list of "balades" organized by the MDB (parisian
association) in the past. Most of them are in IDF. They are
really good.

If you want to know more about them, then subscribe "Roue Libre",
MDB review (in french).

Complete details in

http://www.mdb-idf.org

Enjoy

Old September 19th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ken Roberts

c wrote
http://www.mdb-idf.org/asso/balades/...mme/index.html
there is a list of "balades" organized by the MDB (parisian
association) in the past. Most of them are in Ile-de-France.

Looks like it would be lots of fun to join in one of those rides. My
understanding of the French language is not strong, but the "balades" on
that website seem to be mostly riding events, not detailed routes or maps.
(One surprising result from many days of bicycling in France is how little
my French language skills have improved.)

One thing I notice is how many of the rides are connected to train
stations -- a great idea (which also can work around around New York City:
http://roberts-1.com/bikehudson/r/a/trains). My problem with doing that
around Paris and Ile-de-France is that Sharon and I are usually riding on
our tandem, and I normally guess that most trains do not permit tandem
bicycles.

Recently I noticed a big difference between France versus riding in
Switzerland and southern Germany -- the others have lots more "signed"
bicycle routes -- with the turns maked by special signs on sign-posts
alongside the road -- sometimes so many signed routes we were confused if we
were still on the right one. France seems to me more like the Hudson valley
in New York, where there's only a few signed routes and only a few off-road
asphalt bicycle trailways, so I feel comfortable riding these as a sort of
different and better version of the Hudson valley.

Ken

Old September 26th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

The road network in France is one of high density. There exists not
only a primary network of roads (highways, routes mationales, routes
departamentales) but also a secondary (chemins vecinaux), and even a
terciary: chemins forestiers, chemin ruraux, sentiers de grande et de
petite randonnée, sentiers, etc., etc. You can find most of them in
the maps 1:25000 (but these maps are really cumbersome). In fact it is
possible to ride between any two points in France taking mostly routes
through the terciary network. Of course in these roads there are very
few cars or no cars at all (and the scenaries are gorgeous).

If you come to Ile-de-France to ride with the MDB may be a good
initiation to the problem. The usage of train allow to do a big
variety of differents itineraries for day trips. But the choice of a
tandem is to look for difficulties in trains.

c wrote

Old October 10th 06, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Julie

Hi,
I am looking to do a day trip this weekend from Paris of about 60km. I
would like to head towards Champagne. I can either do it as a loop or
return via train if possible. I have found a route however it stops in
Souilly. Can someone tell me how to get there or if maps exist on the
internet as i have not found any. Thank you!
Also, it is Ok to just bring the bike on the train?
julie

c wrote:
The road network in France is one of high density. There exists not
only a primary network of roads (highways, routes mationales, routes
departamentales) but also a secondary (chemins vecinaux), and even a
terciary: chemins forestiers, chemin ruraux, sentiers de grande et de
petite randonnée, sentiers, etc., etc. You can find most of them in
the maps 1:25000 (but these maps are really cumbersome). In fact it is
possible to ride between any two points in France taking mostly routes
through the terciary network. Of course in these roads there are very
few cars or no cars at all (and the scenaries are gorgeous).

If you come to Ile-de-France to ride with the MDB may be a good
initiation to the problem. The usage of train allow to do a big
variety of differents itineraries for day trips. But the choice of a
tandem is to look for difficulties in trains.

c wrote

Old October 11th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Bill

I don't completely understand what you are asking, but
for maps try www.viamichelin.com, you can zoom in to
any level.
And for bikes on trains, try www.voyages-sncf.com.

BW