Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Disc 19" for a 183 tall guy

Old February 17th 06, 10:40 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Disc 19" for a 183 tall guy

would a 19" inch stumpjumper comp disc suit my 183cm? have to travel to
try it out, thus I'm asking. or should i go for a 18"? There's a nice
Merida Special Edition 2005 on sale.
Old February 18th 06, 09:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Geir Eivind Mork wrote:
would a 19" inch stumpjumper comp disc suit my 183cm?
have to travel to try it out, thus I'm asking. or should i go for a 18"?

So that makes you a six-footer, right? (gotta downgrade you to
Amerikun)

I am 6'1" (185.5cm) and I rode a 2006 Stumpjumper a couple weeks
ago. When I was just putting around in the shop parking lot, it felt
plenty big enough. When I started working on the climb, it felt very
small. It was too short for me. I was surprised. I normally fit a Large
pretty well. I don't have super long legs. More of a balanced
proportion. If you have really long legs and a short torso, the Large
might be OK. But you better do a real ride to know for sure. I would
doubt that a Specialized 18" would ever be good for a six-footer.
--
Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

Old February 19th 06, 01:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Tom Purvis skrev:
Geir Eivind Mork wrote:
would a 19" inch stumpjumper comp disc suit my 183cm?
have to travel to try it out, thus I'm asking. or should i go for a 18"?

So that makes you a six-footer, right? (gotta downgrade you to
Amerikun)

Yes, just above six foot.

I am 6'1" (185.5cm) and I rode a 2006 Stumpjumper a couple weeks
ago.

The geometry seem to be similar to the 2005 I'm looking at.

When I was just putting around in the shop parking lot, it felt
plenty big enough. When I started working on the climb, it felt very
small. It was too short for me. I was surprised. I normally fit a Large
pretty well. I don't have super long legs. More of a balanced
proportion.

I'm pretty balanced. probably not metric to the US system but I use 34
in length on my jeans. Have no means to measure my leg but average to my
height i guess.

Nice to hear, the guy who is selling (he only used it back and forth
work. That's such a shame for a bike like that.) he's your height. I
like to have control when climbing, and a small bike usually do that
better than a large one but it seems like it's a bit of both worlds
judging on what you're saying.

If you have really long legs and a short torso, the Large
might be OK. But you better do a real ride to know for sure. I would
doubt that a Specialized 18" would ever be good for a six-footer.

I'm also going to look at a Merida Carbon Special Edition - in 18", any
experience with that? A bit more expensive, carbon frame, xt, manitou
splice lock out, deore disc, m-540 hollowtech etc. But I don't know too
well how durable those frames are. I know my alu frame will last every
punishment i give it on the trails, but do modern carbon frames last?
I'm just riding for fun, but I'm riding a lot. Still, i don't intend to
swap frames due to fatige. any idea?

Old February 19th 06, 04:46 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

...like to have control when climbing, and a small bike usually do that
better than a large one but it seems like it's a bit of both worlds
judging on what you're saying.

YMMV, meaning, it may not seem too small to you. Hard to say
for sure. Best thing is to have a chance to actually ride it. I know
that can be tough sometimes.

I'm also going to look at a Merida Carbon Special Edition - in 18", any
experience with that?

We don't get Merida over on this side of the pond. Can't comment
on that specific bike. But I will say that the industry, and the low-
cost manufacturers in the far east seem to have figured out carbon
fiber. There seem to be some relatively low-cost CF frames and
parts becoming available that are really OK. Again, YMMV.