report about travel in Eastern Europe

Old September 29th 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bikerfab

Default report about travel in Eastern Europe

hello everybody,

last summer I made a long journey by bike from Italy to Poland,
through Slovenja, Hungary, Slovakia and Poland.

Here you have the link to the website where you can find report,
pictures, information, links and so on...

http://bikerfab.altervista.org/

Hope you like it

Bikerfab
Old October 1st 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
gka

I like the map of your route and the photos a lot. I've heard that the
car drivers are a little wild and maybe dangerous for a bicycle. Did
you find that true?

Gary

Old October 1st 06, 07:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Timo Noko

On 2006-10-01, gka wrote:
I like the map of your route and the photos a lot. I've heard that the
car drivers are a little wild and maybe dangerous for a bicycle. Did
you find that true?

Newly rich are the problem all over the world. It was quite horrible
when Norwegians found oil and switched from horsedriven carriages to
sport cars. Now things have settled.
Old October 1st 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bikerfab

On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 02:16:38 GMT, gka wrote:

I like the map of your route and the photos a lot. I've heard that the
car drivers are a little wild and maybe dangerous for a bicycle. Did
you find that true?

thanks, I hope people will like also report and find useful my
information.
About traffic, as written along the text related to individual stages,
I run mostly on countryside roads with very little traffic, but not
only. In Slovenja I noticed that drivers run rather fast, nothing
particular in other places. In general I found riding on the road
quite safe. Though not like in Austria and Germany where cars
literally go on the other side of the road to avoid cyclists, I had
really no problem at all with cars during my journey. In general I
think it is due to a lower population density of the countries I
visited. In Italy things are totally different, where I live (northern
Italy) it's not very safe to ride on normal roads out of weekend. At
least it is very annoying.
--
bikerfab

Viaggi in bicicletta, report foto e informazioni
Travelling by bycicle, report, pics and information
http://bikerfab.altervista.org/
Old October 7th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Ron Wallenfang

A very enjoyable report to read. I've biked extensively, but always in the
"first world" where my languages "work" - mainly English, French and German.
I also know Swedish tolerably well, for ethnic identity reasons, but that's
hardly a help outside Scandinavia. I think I could muddle through in
Spanish or other Latin or Germanic languages.

But I'd be totally lost in the Slavic languages. Evidently you made it,
even in areas where only Polish was spoken. I assume there was a lot of
pointing and nodding and gesturing. Did you have any incidents where you
couldn't communicate at all? Are there enough hotels in the rural areas. A
post a couple months ago by a rider who went through Russia and the Ukraine
said hotels were hard to find.

Old October 9th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Robert Broughton

Ron Wallenfang wrote:

But I'd be totally lost in the Slavic languages. Evidently you made it,
even in areas where only Polish was spoken. I assume there was a lot of
pointing and nodding and gesturing. Did you have any incidents where you
couldn't communicate at all?

I did a lengthy cycle tour in what is now the Czech Republic 20 years ago.
At that time, very few Czechs spoke English. (This has changed since; I
heard that Prague now has three English-language newspapers.) However,
there were usually English speakers at the tourist agency, Cedok. I used
them to set up the hotel reservation in whatever town I was going to next.

--
Bob Broughton
http://broughton.ca/
- Chuck Wright, May 22, 2006
Old October 10th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
oilfreeandhappy

bikerfab wrote:
On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 02:16:38 GMT, gka wrote:
In Italy things are totally different, where I live (northern
Italy) it's not very safe to ride on normal roads out of weekend. At
least it is very annoying.
--
bikerfab

Viaggi in bicicletta, report foto e informazioni
Travelling by bycicle, report, pics and information
http://bikerfab.altervista.org/

Looks like a real nice trip. I visited Italy a few years ago. We took
the trains everywhere, and didn't cycle at all. It did seem that
people drove fast, or maybe the large numbers of loud Vespas and other
Motorcycles just made it seem that way. Is it the city riding that you
find annoying? It seems like the country riding might be nice.

Some friends of mine enjoyed their cycling trip to Italy. They visited
that famous cycling historical museum (the name escapes me).
----
Jim Gagnepain
http://home.comcast.net/~oil_free_and_happy/

Old October 10th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bikerfab

Ron Wallenfang ha scritto:

Did you have any incidents where you
couldn't communicate at all? Are there enough hotels in the rural areas. A
post a couple months ago by a rider who went through Russia and the Ukraine
said hotels were hard to find.

yes of course I helped my communication with gestures, but I found
actually not very hard to communicate with non-english/german speaking
people. Nothing bad when I couldn't communicate at all, just saying bye
and trying to find somebody else, but it was almost not needed at all.
It was also quite funny to talk with people who always made an effort
to understand me.

About hotels, before leaving I had prepared a long list of hotels
sorted by places along my path, list built collecting information on
the internet. I had enough adresses everywhere (about every 10-20km)
except in Poland, where I coulnd't collect information for lack of time
and because I found it very hard. Actually it was rather difficult to
find hotels in Polish countryside. Some of my stages have been shorten
because of that.

Old October 10th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
bikerfab

oilfreeandhappy ha scritto:

Looks like a real nice trip. I visited Italy a few years ago. We took
the trains everywhere, and didn't cycle at all. It did seem that
people drove fast, or maybe the large numbers of loud Vespas and other
Motorcycles just made it seem that way. Is it the city riding that you
find annoying? It seems like the country riding might be nice.

in general city riding is not very comfortable at all, apart some of
them (but riding in Warszawa was not comfortable as well :-)). Anyway I
meant riding on extra-urban roads. If you mean small
countryside/hill/mountain roads it is true, traffic is quite low, but
average-size roads between major/medium cities are rather busy on
working days (especially heavy and dangerous lorries), much more than
what I found in my journey. Weekend is different, and everything may
strongly depend on the place where you are.