Gas prices and an increase in cycling?

Old May 18th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

Default Gas prices and an increase in cycling?

On May 12, 9:33*pm, Brian Huntley in
response to my disbelief that Americans are any more lazy than the
citizen's of any other country wrote:

1: Drive through funeral homes -http://www.uwsp.edu/geo/courses/geog100/CarMort.htm
- aren't exactly evidence to the contrary.

I've used city bus services in both France and Germany. In both
countries I've seen healthy, fit-looking people board the bus I was on
and ride just two blocks in nice weather before getting off. Lazy
*******s. One of the biggest areas of consumer demand in developing
countries is for things that make life easier. Private cars and decent
roads are high on their wishlist. Again, lazy *******s.
If you put out food for them on a regular basis squirrels, raccoons,
and birds will stop foraging for their own food, preferring the easy
dinner you provide them. Lazy, lazy, lazy!
Seriously, it isn't a matter of nationality but a simple fact of
biology. It's silly to pretend otherwise.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old May 18th 08, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob

On May 13, 9:30*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On May 12, 9:53 pm, Bob wrote:

I don't think there's any evidence that Americans are any more lazy
than the citizens of any other country.

Try spending a few weeks east of the Atlantic, then returning to the
US.

I've done that a few times. *Each time, the body fat walking around in
the US airport shocks me. *The difference is very noticeable.

- Frank Krygowski

You confuse obesity and poor diet with laziness, Frank. I've read that
here in the US the single most obese identifiable group is urban
blacks. Surely you aren't saying that means members of that group are
lazier than the less obese group you belong to? (I'm not accusing you
of racism, just making a point)

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old May 18th 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 12, 9:05 pm, " wrote:
Hello,

There's no doubt that we'll see astronomical gasoline prices soon in
the future. Of course, one would think that this would lead to an
increase in cycling.

However, I think human beings (especially Americans) are too lazy for
bicycles, and we'll probably see an increase in horses for
transportation [according to this it's already happening:http://www.wyff4.com/news/15968363/detail.html].

But, I have to admit that - yes, I'm surprised - I've actually seen an
increase in cyclists?

Have you guys too?

Regards,
Cullenwww.comatimes.blogspot.com

If "astronomical gasoline prices" = $10.00 a gallon, then maybe.
Until then, expect your average Goob to keep on SUVing 2 miles to the
grocery store. There are lots and lots of Goobs that drop $5.00+ on a
cup of StarrClucks and think nothing of it. I think the price of a
gallon of gas will need to be the price of their daily StarrCluck
order before The Goob even really cares.

No increase in cycling here in the Greater D.C. area. Instead, I see
a few more little cars now-- Toyo Yaris and the like. That will be
the first move for the middle class Goob-- not bikes or horses.