Bicyclists Usually *NOT* At Fault

Old October 1st 04, 07:21 PM
Steven M. O'Neill

Ruben Safir wrote:
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 14:08:03 +0000, Steven M. O'Neill wrote:

[1] http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/bike-vt.htm#sec1234

This is a good link. Is it up to date?

At the bottom it says "Revised: January 15, 2003".

Seems reasonable to me.

--
Steven O'Neill
Old October 5th 04, 05:39 PM
Pete

"Ruben Safir" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 04:12:17 +0000, Pete wrote:

Often, but not *always*.
Dark sweatshirt, jeans, no lights, no reflectors, riding against

traffic,
going through a red light at a badly lit, but non-rural, intersection.

There is no excuse for Car to hit a bike, ever. Drive slower

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying it is an excuse. I ride daily.

However!

There are instances of cyclists bringing it upon themselves, no matter how
carefully a motorist (or other cyclist!) drives. When a completely black
object, on a dark night, appears right in your path, in violation of basic
traffic rules...the laws of physics take over. Doesn't matter if it were a
cyclist, or another car, or a pedestrian.

If a flat black car, with no headlights and no reflectors were driving the
wrong way in traffic, at night...who would be at fault in the resultant head
on collision? Why should a 'flat black' cyclist get a free pass? I almost
hit one of these clowns over the weekend, on my bike. Drive slower? Not an
issue in this case.

A moving object (bus/car/bike/ped) can easily cause a crash, by violating
basic rules, such as visibility, lane discipline, etc. Cyclists don't get a
free pass just because we'd like them to.

Unless of course you desire a 3mph national speed limit. Which might not be
bad, but that's not what we have, and not going to happen.

Pete

Old October 5th 04, 05:40 PM
Pete

"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote

Cf. the "Toronto Coroner's Rule":

The concept of motorized vehicles yielding to non-motorized
vehicles, who in turn must yield to pedestrians seems to be a
common sense rule which should be accepted by all road users.
Entrenching this principle in the HTA would clarify the
situation, and likely significantly reduce risk of injury and
death.

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/cyclin...tm#legislative

Good idea, but you can only yield to what you see. Too many POB's are
determined not to be seen.

Pete

Old October 5th 04, 06:18 PM
Steven M. O'Neill

Pete wrote:

"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote

Cf. the "Toronto Coroner's Rule":

The concept of motorized vehicles yielding to non-motorized
vehicles, who in turn must yield to pedestrians seems to be a
common sense rule which should be accepted by all road users.
Entrenching this principle in the HTA would clarify the
situation, and likely significantly reduce risk of injury and
death.

http://www.city.toronto.on.ca/cyclin...tm#legislative

Good idea, but you can only yield to what you see. Too many POB's are
determined not to be seen.

I don't know what a POB is, but try slowing down if you can't
see properly.

--
Steven O'Neill
Old October 5th 04, 06:23 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 01:02:15 -0400, Ruben Safir
wrote:

Often, but not *always*.
Dark sweatshirt, jeans, no lights, no reflectors, riding against traffic,
going through a red light at a badly lit, but non-rural, intersection.

There is no excuse for Car to hit a bike, ever. Drive slower

That's absurd. I've twice nearly hit cyclists that were riding the
wrong way through busy intersections at night. In each case they made
little effort to be seen.

A motorist scans logically to the area where traffic is supposed to
be. If you are turning left from a stop on a busy four lane roadway,
you are in no position to pick up a fast moving cyclist riding against
traffic into the intersection. When they enter the intersection as you
make your left turn, it is entirely the luck of the draw whether or
not the cyclist is hit.

There are two lucky individuals out there. Or maybe not. They could
easily be statistics by now.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old October 5th 04, 06:49 PM
Steven M. O'Neill

wrote:

Often, but not *always*.
Dark sweatshirt, jeans, no lights, no reflectors, riding against traffic,
going through a red light at a badly lit, but non-rural, intersection.

There is no excuse for Car to hit a bike, ever. Drive slower

That's absurd. I've twice nearly hit cyclists that were riding the
wrong way through busy intersections at night. In each case they made
little effort to be seen.

So you admit that you have a history of driving too fast to
avoid cyclists that are riding the wrong way and wearing dark
clothes?

--
Steven O'Neill
Old October 6th 04, 05:22 AM
Ruben Safir

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 11:09:23 -0500, Name wrote:

Not my rule, but traffic law, and insurance
rule. So you were toast to start with.

So why do the cars now whissle when backing up? Because the freaken
drivers are dangerous

Ruben
Old October 8th 04, 04:17 AM
Pete

"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote

But I also think that in the current environment the users who
are underwhelmingly held repsonsible for their actions are
motorists. So perhaps some over-compensation would be a good
start to equalization.

Reparations, as it were?

Pete
(i agree with you on the underwhelming penalties)