My new KH/Schlumpf 36!!!

Old December 10th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

Default My new KH/Schlumpf 36!!!

After 5 months of waiting for my hub to return since sending it in the
for the recall, I got it in the mail yesterday and immediately dropped
it off at the bike shop to be built. I picked it up today and followed
Florian's instructions of injecting 1 siringe of his oil into the slot
screw and then tightened everything up and started to ride (at night, in
the cold rain).

So...was it worth the 5 month wait? Absolutely.

This thing is amazing. I rode Chuck's at RTL but it has been so long
since Nova Scotia and I forgot how truely amazing it is to ride a geared
36. My setup is not ideal yet since I am running a heavy coker tube,
but it still doesn't feel that heavy.

First thoughts: Geared 36ers are easier to ride than geared 29ers. I
don't know if it has to do with the wheel momentum or the fact that I am
using 150mm cranks instead of the 125s I was using on the geared 29, but
riding in high gear is very easy.

I did not put the buttons on yet because I know that it takes a while
for the cranks to settle and I have been tightening them every few
minutes. It will take a few more rounds of riding/tightening before
they are on good. Hopefully tomorrow or thursday I can put the buttons
on and try shifting.

My set up is:
KH 36" frame
Nightrider rim (white)
150/125 dual drilled Moments
CF KH seat base with Fusion Freeride foam and GB4 handles
Some cut bar ends on a KH rail adapter to mount my brake
Snafu pedals (only because my MG1s were making a lot of noise..I will
replace the Snafus with MG1s when I get new ones in the mail)
Nightrider Tire with Coker tube (hopefully trying out a 29er tube at
some point)

Pics to come soon and a better review to come as well. Stay tuned.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name
Old December 10th 08, 10:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

Hell yeah, James!! Bout time you got that hub back!

Now you just need to ride it out to California...

As for the cranks, yeah, just keep yanking them down. Eventually
they'll stay that way. Even still, though, I never ever ride without my
little Schlumpf button holder-inner-the-righter-placer plate that you
need in order to hold the buttons still to get the set screws inside
loose and tight. Last time mine went loose on me was early July...
before that, early June, before that, late April, and before that, they
were pretty much coming loose every ride or two all the way back until I
first built it up.

Enjoy the crap out of it!!

--
chuckaeronut

Uni to work to eat to live to uni to work to...!
Old December 10th 08, 12:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

Hey, James, welcome back to the guni club!

siafirede;1146721 wrote:
Geared 36ers are easier to ride than geared 29ers. .

Maybe that's why us real men ride 29s

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
Old December 10th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

Yeah James, sweet!

I got my hubs last night...I'm hoping to get the wheels built up soon.
I'll be back to guni 36'ing and guni 24'ing (for both me and louise!)
corbin

--
corbin

http://www.corbinstreehouse.com
Old December 10th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
asthian

Good stuff, James!
I'm so jealous.
Have fun with your crazy cool new setup

--
asthian

There's always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby, it's a deal.
Old December 10th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

@siafirede:

So did you mount it in high gear right away? Isn't that really
difficult? Are the GB4 handles being made again or did you get them used
or when they were still in production? I'm looking for something to
replace my broken T7 with.

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old December 10th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

munirocks;1146971 wrote:
@siafirede:

So did you mount it in high gear right away? Isn't that really
difficult? Are the GB4 handles being made again or did you get them used
or when they were still in production? I'm looking for something to
replace my broken T7 with.

Yeah, I have just been mounting it in high gear. It isn't all that
difficult, it depends on your abilities. Some find it really difficult,
some find it easy, it is all in the mounting technique. I always have
always used a static mount and it works well with the geared 36 (for
me)...although I guess a rolling one would be better, but I have never
used rolling mounts.

GB4s are unfortunately not being made anymore. I have had my GB4 for
quite a long time now. There was a thread that someone made about their
custom aluminum GB4-like handle they made that looked very awesome. You
could make something similar to the GB4 by following that and by having
someone weld the parts.

Old December 10th 08, 07:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

Ah, okay thanks! I think I will try the old bike frame trick with what
is left of my T7 first and see how that goes.

--
munirocks

mono for bono
Old December 10th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

corbin;1146917 wrote:
Yeah James, sweet!

I got my hubs last night...I'm hoping to get the wheels built up soon.
I'll be back to guni 36'ing and guni 24'ing (for both me and louise!)
corbin

Wo, so you have three now?!?

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old December 10th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
corbin

ntappin;1146998 wrote:
Wo, so you have three now?!?

Yeah

Technically, one of the G-KH24s is for Louise.

-corbin

36’’ Schlumpf hendyjr05 Unicycling 31 October 29th 07 11:58 PM
36’’ Schlumpf Daytripper63 Unicycling 0 October 27th 07 12:16 AM
My new Schlumpf Tigger Unicycling 12 February 20th 07 09:00 PM
Schlumpf 36 siafirede Unicycling 28 December 6th 05 06:27 AM
Coker, Schlumpf 29er, or Schlumpf 36er siafirede Unicycling 9 November 11th 05 11:37 PM