Crash at Worlds Women's TT (spoilers)

Old September 25th 20, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Default Crash at Worlds Women's TT (spoilers)

Op vrijdag 25 september 2020 om 19:14:14 UTC+2 schreef Mark J.:
On 9/24/2020 11:42 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
Op vrijdag 25 september 2020 om 06:27:46 UTC+2 schreef Mark J.:
One of the major competitors at the World Championships Women's TT had a
nasty crash (but expected to "fully recover").

You can see a clear shot in the first 10 seconds of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEzFIQmDJYU [video contains race spoilers]

Somehow I think this will be the most-discussed crash since Beloki in
the 2003 Tour.

Question: It appears the front wheel takes a sharp jolt just before
going into an uncontrolled speed wobble. What was the jolt - or what
was the overall cause? Blowout? Broken spoke? Rim failure? Something else?

Discuss.

Mark J.

It was told here that she had a flat in the front.

Lou

I heard commentators speculate so, seeing the same video we did. Have
you heard this reported from a reliable on-site source?

Partly I ask because, at such a lean in a turn, I would expect a front
blowout to bring the rider down right away rather than just set up a
wobble. Then there's the different behavior of flat clinchers vs flat
sewups, but it's not obvious which she was riding after recent
developments in TT tire usage.

Mark J.

No I had no confirmation. Didn't look for it either.

Lou
Old September 26th 20, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/25/2020 2:01 PM, AMuzi wrote:

Local television station in her home town reports surgery to repair torn
quadriceps. Ouch.

My very first riding buddy was cutting trees with a chainsaw. He somehow
put the chainsaw through his quadriceps. AFAIK, he never rode again.

I hope her injury is much less severe than his.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 26th 20, 01:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zaterdag 26 september 2020 om 00:17:38 UTC+2 schreef Lou Holtman:
[...]

Watching the womens world champions race at the moment on Belgium televison. They stated that there was nothing wrong with the bike and it was a riders error.

Lou
Old September 26th 20, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/26/2020 8:59 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

What would that error be?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 26th 20, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zaterdag 26 september 2020 om 19:21:35 UTC+2 schreef Frank Krygowski:
[...]

Too high speed for that bend and overreact while trying to correct.

Lou
Old September 27th 20, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/26/2020 1:27 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

I can understand those factors causing a crash, but I don't think they
explain the wobble.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 27th 20, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, September 26, 2020 at 4:10:59 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

The lever arm created by those aero bars may account for some of the wobble.

-- Jay Beattie
Old September 27th 20, 06:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

schreef Mark J.:
[...]

I do not know but I'm with you. There's some unknown event
in the middle of that otherwise smooth normal turn.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 27th 20, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

schreef Mark J.:
[...]

The statement of the Belgium TV host was based on a tweet of the official US cycling team. It could be that they want to hide an equipment failure.

Lou
Old September 27th 20, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_2_]

On Sunday, September 27, 2020 at 10:42:01 AM UTC-7, wrote:

The statement of the Belgium TV host was based on a tweet of the official US cycling team. It could be that they want to hide an equipment failure.

I wouldn't put a great deal of faith in that comment since they are bound to offer brand loyalty to their bike sponsor.

I am still pretty certain that it was a rapid though not instantaneous flat.. I an very am very familiar with that sort of attempt to retain control when a soft tire removes your traction. And as Jay said, this sort of problem would be exacerbated with the long TT bars.