Carbon fiber seatpost, aluminum frame and a workstand...

Old July 9th 03, 03:19 PM
David L. Johnson

Default Carbon fiber seatpost, aluminum frame and a workstand...

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:01:36 +0000, Mark Hickey wrote:

Of course, I also don't worry about clamping my frames in ANY workstand.
As BTO woulda said (about a million years ago), they're "not fragile".

Well, that is a relief... I gotta say, unless the workstand has hydrolic
assist for the clamp, it doesn't exert that much pressure if adjusted
anywhere nearly correctly.

Would you want to ride a bike that was so fragile that your workstand
could crush it?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you
_`\(,_ | killed all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds,
(_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can't
kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

Old July 10th 03, 01:56 AM
Mark Hickey

"David L. Johnson" wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:01:36 +0000, Mark Hickey wrote:

Of course, I also don't worry about clamping my frames in ANY workstand.
As BTO woulda said (about a million years ago), they're "not fragile".

Well, that is a relief... I gotta say, unless the workstand has hydrolic
assist for the clamp, it doesn't exert that much pressure if adjusted
anywhere nearly correctly.

Would you want to ride a bike that was so fragile that your workstand
could crush it?

Nope. Bikes that are ridden around here (South Mountain park in the
Phoenix Arizona area) get beat up a LOT under "normal conditions". A
good friend of mine recently got a second bike (a high-zoot steel IF
hard tail) that lasted about two months before the down tube was caved
in - back on his several-year-old manufacturer deleted, Shaun
straight gauge ti bike again...

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old July 10th 03, 10:36 AM
Shaun Rimmer

Mark Hickey wrote in message
news
"David L. Johnson" wrote:

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 16:01:36 +0000, Mark Hickey wrote:

Of course, I also don't worry about clamping my frames in ANY

workstand.
As BTO woulda said (about a million years ago), they're "not fragile".

Well, that is a relief... I gotta say, unless the workstand has hydrolic
assist for the clamp, it doesn't exert that much pressure if adjusted
anywhere nearly correctly.

Would you want to ride a bike that was so fragile that your workstand
could crush it?

Nope. Bikes that are ridden around here (South Mountain park in the
Phoenix Arizona area) get beat up a LOT under "normal conditions". A
good friend of mine recently got a second bike (a high-zoot steel IF
hard tail) that lasted about two months before the down tube was caved
in - back on his several-year-old

"manufacturer deleted, Shaun"

Are you g.daniels in disguise?!?!? Heheheh. ',;~}~

straight gauge ti bike again...

You mean one of the most decidedly excellent Habaneros? Heheheheh......
',;~}~

Shaun aRe

Old July 10th 03, 12:29 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:02:32 GMT, "KSlater" wrote:
"David Kunz" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

Unfortunately, quick release seat post clamps don't always hold well
enough (they slowly slide down), and they usually recommend against lots
of use .

If you use them tight enough the don't slide down. I have never had my seat
slide down.

How much do both of you weigh? It's not that easy to tighten even a
regular bolt type clamp enough that a greased seatpost doesn't slide down
on me. The bigger issue is, of course, that steel pipe type seatposts in
the longer reaches just can't take my weight, period, and bend over.
Haven't yet solved that one.

Jasper

Steel Frame vs Aluminum Frame w/ Carbon seat stays and carbon fork ydm9 General 6 April 12th 04 09:42 PM
Aluminum bike w/ Carbon seat stays and fork SUGGESTIONS ydm9 General 10 April 6th 04 05:26 PM
carbon fiber W.S. O'Neal Off Road 3 September 15th 03 11:35 PM
Carbon fiber seatpost, aluminum frame and a workstand... David L Mountain Biking 14 July 10th 03 12:29 PM