Wheel weight

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 5th 19, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Wheel weight

John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 22:26:16 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.

Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?

Damn this is embarrassing.

After reading your post and thinking "Hey! he's right" I went out and
weighed a spare wheel. This time I took two scales and compared them.
The wheel with tire, skewer, etc. weighed 1.40kg with one scale and
1.41 with the other. When I weighed it the first time I wrote down
3.1kg.

Since normally I can read numerals pretty well I now have to try and
figure out how I went wrong :-(

--
Cheers,
John B.

Can your scale display in either pounds or kg? It looks like you measured
in lbs and reported that number as kg.