Wheel weight

Old March 7th 19, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Wheel weight

On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 7:21:33 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/6/2019 6:04 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, March 6, 2019 at 11:19:45 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped

Back in the mid-1980s I got my first cyclometer. For me, it was useful
motivation for training - as in "I'm only going 19 mph? I can go faster
than that!"

Nowadays the data is just depressing. I try not to look at it too much..

--
- Frank Krygowski

I guess that's why some people mount the cyclometer on their seatpost or seat-tube = so they aren't tempted to look at it whilst riding. Yet they have their accumulated mileage at the end of the ride.

Very, very vaguely related: On my folding bike, I installed a Cateye
wireless cyclometer, figuring any wire would eventually get ripped apart
during the frequent folds and unfolds.

But at temperatures less than about 45 Fahrenheit, it would lose contact
with the sending unit. It would say Zero miles per hour, even though I
was sure I was going a _little_ faster than that.

Changing batteries in the sender or display units didn't help. Shifting
the sender to different positions, ahead and behind the fork, didn't
help. I finally fabricated a separate little stub mount to keep the
display part about an inch in front of my handlebar. That seemed to cure
the problem. I guess the handlebar itself was blocking the radio signal.

My wife's identical bike has a much cheaper Echo brand wireless
cyclometer. It has no such problem.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I had a Schwinn wireless bicycle computer that had the exact opposite problem intermittently. I'd be going down a hill and the thing would tell me I was doing 200+ kph which I knew I wasn't. Even on the flats the speed readout would be intermittent. nasty if you're using it to measure distances between camping spots or between roads and trails branching off the road you're on.

Cheers
Old March 7th 19, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 7/3/19 6:58 am, Duane wrote:

I tried with my iPhone as well using RideWithGPS. In addition to
your points, I was rarely able to see the screen on sunny days.

I have that problem. I found to use the phone for navigation, I first
make sure the route is properly bike friendly, then attach earphones and
shove the phone in my back pocket and listen to the instructions as I ride.

--
JS
Old March 7th 19, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I had my GPS drop a single solitary data point in the middle of the Pacific
Ocean during my commute one day. "Funny, it didn't feel like 7,000 km to
the office..."

On the other hand, my average speed that day rocked.