water bottle mounting

Old May 17th 04, 04:10 PM
MarkR

Default water bottle mounting

I just go into cycling more seriously a few months ago, and as another
thread mentioned, I'm addicted. I just purchased a new Gary Fisher Sugar 4+,
and love it (fastastic suspension, no chain suck problem at least yet).

I ride in the Siskiyou Mountains here in Southern Oregon, mostly along
logging and mining roads. I dislike wearing a pack, so I'd like to avoid
using a hydration pack. The Gary Fisher doesn't have a lot of room to mount
stuff, but by using side exit bottle cages, I've managed to mount two 24 oz
water bottles to the down tube. However, as it gets hotter (100 degree plus
days are common here) and the mountain streams dry up, this will be
inadequate for many rides.

Is it reasonable to try to mount one or two more bottles somehow off the
handlebar? Does anyone know the hardware etc. that could do this?

And one other question: any recommendations, including where to purchase,
for bottles with a dust and mud cap? The one bottle mounts on the tire side
of the down tube and gets pretty plastered with dirt.

Thanks

--
Mark Rehmar
Please remove *splinters* to reply by email

Old May 17th 04, 05:10 PM
curt

I don't mountain bike, but I have seen water bottles mounted on the rear of
the seat. Not sure if that would be a good place on a mountain bike or not,
but worth a look.

Curt

Old May 17th 04, 09:46 PM
DRS

"MarkR" wrote in message

[...]

Is it reasonable to try to mount one or two more bottles somehow off
the handlebar? Does anyone know the hardware etc. that could do this?

Minoura make brackets for mounting water bottle cages both to the handlebars
and the saddle.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old May 18th 04, 01:19 AM
LioNiNoiL_a t_NetscapE_D 0 T_NeT

I ride in the Siskiyou Mountains here in Southern Oregon

What I recall most vividly about that area is WIND: strong, relentless,
northerly wind.

Old May 18th 04, 02:13 AM
MarkR

Default Siskiyou Weather

"LioNiNoiL_a t_NetscapE_D 0 T_NeT" wrote in
message news:eEcqc.43201$pJ1.32306@lakeread02...
I ride in the Siskiyou Mountains here in Southern Oregon

What I recall most vividly about that area is WIND: strong, relentless,
northerly wind.

What time of year were you here?

Actually, summer weather is desert like, dry and hot. Winter weather is very
wet (75" of rain in about 7 months at my place). This, combined with a
unique geologic history, make it a huge depository of rare plants. Cycling
in the mountains is a constant treat of unusual flora. Come visit!

Old May 18th 04, 03:37 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 17 May 2004 08:10:53 -0700, "MarkR"
wrote:
Is it reasonable to try to mount one or two more bottles somehow off the
handlebar? Does anyone know the hardware etc. that could do this?

You can get a mount to put two bottle cages behind the saddle. They
make them to clamp to the seatpost and to the saddle rails; you
might be able to make both fit (unlikely), for a total of four
bottles behind the saddle.

Get bigger bottles -- http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?&sku=3491
for example, 32 oz bottle that fits in regular bottle cage.
--
Rick Onanian
Old May 18th 04, 04:47 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"MarkR" writes:

And one other question: any recommendations, including where to purchase,
for bottles with a dust and mud cap? The one bottle mounts on the tire side
of the down tube and gets pretty plastered with dirt.

Some Nalgene[tm] water bottles have that cap. I'd think they'd
be readily available at lots of outdoor stores, but their site:
http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/
has a 'Retailers In Your Area' link as well as product info.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old May 20th 04, 08:55 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_NetscapE_D 0 T_NeT

I ride in the Siskiyou Mountains here in Southern Oregon

What I recall most vividly about that area is WIND:
strong, relentless, northerly wind.

What time of year were you here?

Many times in the Summer, fewer in Spring and in Autumn.

Actually, summer weather is desert like, dry and hot.

After living here in Las Vegas for five years, I have come to know the
true meaning of "dry and hot", and you can believe me when I tell you it
ain't like Oregon!

fuel bottle cages Walter Mitty General 4 March 2nd 04 01:31 AM
Hip mounted water packs Pat General 2 September 23rd 03 07:56 PM
Stupid question: Pink water bottle cages? Preston Crawford General 10 September 8th 03 05:45 AM
Water bottle you don't have to tip up Dan Musicant General 9 July 23rd 03 06:51 PM