Fuji track bike road conversion

Old June 2nd 05, 12:37 PM
Arnaud

Default Fuji track bike road conversion

Hi,

I want to go fixie for my daily commute!
I'm tempted by a cheap Fuji track bike (about =A3300) which seems to be
quite popular for road use.
Does anyone know if it is possible to add rear brakes (it's advertised
with front brakes option only) and some sort of basic mudguards on it?

Thanks,
Arnaud.

Old June 2nd 05, 12:52 PM
MSeries

Arnaud wrote:
Hi,

I want to go fixie for my daily commute!
I'm tempted by a cheap Fuji track bike (about =A3300) which seems to be
quite popular for road use.
Does anyone know if it is possible to add rear brakes (it's advertised
with front brakes option only) and some sort of basic mudguards on it?

Thanks,
Arnaud.

There is a bridge which has a drilling and I have been told a brake can
be fitted. I don't know about mudguard clearences though.

Old June 2nd 05, 01:41 PM
Arthur Clune

In uk.rec.cycling MSeries wrote:

: There is a bridge which has a drilling and I have been told a brake can
: be fitted. I don't know about mudguard clearences though.

For the ones I've seen, proper mudguards are a no-no. SKS Race-Blades
look as good as can be done.

Arthur

Don't get me wrong, perl is an OK operating system, but it lacks a
lightweight scripting language -- Walter Dnes
Old June 2nd 05, 02:00 PM
Dan Gregory

Arnaud wrote:
Hi,

I want to go fixie for my daily commute!
I'm tempted by a cheap Fuji track bike (about £300) which seems to be
quite popular for road use.
Does anyone know if it is possible to add rear brakes (it's advertised
with front brakes option only) and some sort of basic mudguards on it?

Add rearward pressure to pedals for rear wheel braking .. more control
than a brake. Your front brake has more stopping power so your wieght on
the pedals is a good auxiliary.
All the Best
Dan Gregory
Old June 2nd 05, 03:13 PM
Frank Drackman

"Arthur Clune" wrote in message
In uk.rec.cycling MSeries wrote:

: There is a bridge which has a drilling and I have been told a brake can
: be fitted. I don't know about mudguard clearences though.

For the ones I've seen, proper mudguards are a no-no. SKS Race-Blades
look as good as can be done.

Arthur

I agree with Arthur. My family has three of these bikes and rear brake is
no problem. SKS Race Blades are the best solution for fenders. We did add
the usual water bottle extension to the front fender.

Old June 2nd 05, 03:15 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 2 Jun 2005 04:37:49 -0700, "Arnaud" wrote:

Does anyone know if it is possible to add rear brakes (it's advertised
with front brakes option only) and some sort of basic mudguards on it?

Why do you want a rear brake on a fixie? Just curious.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
Old June 2nd 05, 03:26 PM

Arnaud wrote:
Hi,

I want to go fixie for my daily commute!
I'm tempted by a cheap Fuji track bike (about =A3300) which seems to be
quite popular for road use.
Does anyone know if it is possible to add rear brakes (it's advertised
with front brakes option only) and some sort of basic mudguards on it?

http://somafab.com/rush.html (P. Chisholm, Vecchcio Bicicletteria
Boulder, Colorado)

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/s...eamroller.html

http://www.gunnarbikes.com/streetdog.php (A. Muzi's Yellow Jersey shop:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/)

Bare frames, you get to pick and choose components. Two brakes, room
for large tires and fenders, one way to do it "right". BTW, I recently
(at long last) put a fixie together with a "real" track rear hub.
"Instant chainline in a box". Almost too easy. --TP

Old June 2nd 05, 03:34 PM
Arnaud

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Why do you want a rear brake on a fixie? Just curious.

For a few reasons: I'd like to use a freewheel on the flip-flop hub,
and
for hand positions on the brake hoods.

Arnaud.

Old June 2nd 05, 03:40 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 2 Jun 2005 07:34:32 -0700, "Arnaud" wrote:

Why do you want a rear brake on a fixie? Just curious.

For a few reasons: I'd like to use a freewheel on the flip-flop hub,
and
for hand positions on the brake hoods.

A friend put a left-hand lever on his fixer and set it up to work an
Air Zound instead of a brake :-)

Old June 2nd 05, 03:45 PM
Arnaud

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
A friend put a left-hand lever on his fixer and set it up to work an
Air Zound instead of a brake :-)

Brilliant idea!

I think I'm definitely going to get the Fuji and go fixie!