Clydesdale rated components

Old September 28th 04, 10:49 PM
Ben White

Default Clydesdale rated components

I am a new tri-athlete looking for a bicycle to train and race on. Can
anyone suggest what brand/model components are tough enough for the
Big Men? I am 6'4" 235lbs. I was told by the bike shop guy that a trek
1000 would fall apart underneath me...is there any truth to that?

Thanks,
Ben
Old September 28th 04, 11:06 PM
li0scc0

Ben White Wrote:
I am a new tri-athlete looking for a bicycle to train and race on. Can
anyone suggest what brand/model components are tough enough for the
Big Men? I am 6'4" 235lbs. I was told by the bike shop guy that a trek
1000 would fall apart underneath me...is there any truth to that?

Thanks,
Ben

Let me guess, the bike shop guy then tried to sell you a more expensive
bike?

--
li0scc0

Old September 29th 04, 12:15 AM
Corey Green

"li0scc0" wrote in message

Ben White Wrote:
I am a new tri-athlete looking for a bicycle to train and race on. Can
anyone suggest what brand/model components are tough enough for the
Big Men? I am 6'4" 235lbs. I was told by the bike shop guy that a trek
1000 would fall apart underneath me...is there any truth to that?

Thanks,
Ben

Let me guess, the bike shop guy then tried to sell you a more expensive
bike?

--
li0scc0

It would probably need stronger carbon wheels too that are way more
expensive. I think a Trek 1000 would hold you nicely based on weight and
height.

Old September 29th 04, 01:32 AM
Steve

On 9/28/04 4:15 PM, in article ,
"Corey Green" wrote:

"li0scc0" wrote in message

Ben White Wrote:
I am a new tri-athlete looking for a bicycle to train and race on. Can
anyone suggest what brand/model components are tough enough for the
Big Men? I am 6'4" 235lbs. I was told by the bike shop guy that a trek
1000 would fall apart underneath me...is there any truth to that?

Thanks,
Ben

Let me guess, the bike shop guy then tried to sell you a more expensive
bike?

--
li0scc0

It would probably need stronger carbon wheels too that are way more
expensive. I think a Trek 1000 would hold you nicely based on weight and
height.

Come on guys!!!!

Trek 1000: Sora! components and an alloy! fork?!?!?
Remember he is 6'4" 235lbs (I am 6'1" 200lbs)

Years ago I had a trek 1200 (bonded aluminum with an alloy fork)
What a piece of CRAP noodle it was!!

Give some good advice!
Buy at LEAST 105 components...
Get an (preferably) OVERSIZE aluminum frame with a CARBON fork and make SURE
it fits you RIGHT!!

If you are looking at an OEM bike in this range (105 component base model)
You will most likely HOSE the wheelset in less than a year (loose spokes,
broken spokes, etc.) For go light wheels and stick with 30mm deep aero rims

Old September 29th 04, 02:11 AM
IamGoode

CXP's or Rigida DP-18's would hold up, I'm 210/6 foot on 32 hole 2 cross open
pro's.. I occasionaly break a spoke.. never do on the CXP's... I recomend Klein
in the aluminum bike world... Snail dales are too weak..

rec.bicycles.marketplace
Old September 29th 04, 02:23 PM
Jamie TrailBlazer At Large

The main thing you have to remember is you are a big guy .I ride with some
big guys 6'4" 275#
and a couple a little smaller but the thing they had to learn to save on
parts is that the bike comes with 27 or so gears .Use them don't try to take
on a steep hill and just mash the gears down shift and spin a little .The
drive train will thank you .I don't know about the Trek you asked about but
my Cannondale has all 105 components and deep v wheels .and has held up nice
for the last 4 years.I'm 6'1" 220# but don't race just try to keep up with
the racer boys in our group .I can hang for a while .But I would recommend
the 105 drive train and Mavic deep v wheels.
This is just my thoughts .And its your Money!!

Old September 29th 04, 06:24 PM
Morgan Fletcher

(Ben White) writes:
I am a new tri-athlete looking for a bicycle to train and race on. Can
anyone suggest what brand/model components are tough enough for the Big
Men? I am 6'4" 235lbs. I was told by the bike shop guy that a trek 1000
would fall apart underneath me...is there any truth to that?

Steel is real baby.

You may break a steel frame, but at least it's repairable. I love my
Landshark. (
http://landsharkbicycles.com) A good custom builder can build
the _right_ bike for you. Get a good bike fit from a pro, preferably before
you buy a bike. I ride Campagnolo stuff. I recently broke two Wipperman
10-speed chains, so I'm going back to Campagnolo chains. Shimano works
well, but it's designed for obsolescence and their components are not
rebuildable, while Campagnolo stuff is rebuildable. (And I hate
monopolies.) Stay away from the low-spoke-count wheels, stick to 32-hole
(or 36 for training) deep-dish aero-rim wheels and 23mm or bigger
tires. The low-spoke wheels may seem strong enough to support you, but the
individual spokes are under a lot more strain from a big guy: pop! It's not
so much your weight as your torque that's at issue. More spokes are
better. Get a tensiometer to go with your truing stand and learn how to use
it. Make sure your spokes are properly tensioned. Stay away from tires with
a max psi under 110, unless they're really fat. I've been riding on carbon
bars (Easton) and seatpost (Campagnolo) and fork (Kestrel) for a year now,
no problem yet. Carbon steerer tubes are a bad idea for you. If you believe
what the manufacturers write, the carbon stuff that's not built to be
stupid light is stronger than its aluminum analogs. I rode a carbon frame
once (Kestrel 200SCi) and I loved it, but it shattered in a crash. I've
broken aluminum handlebars. Don't go for the really light saddles, go for
comfort and think about durability. I used to ride Flite saddles, but they
sag too fast for a big rider. I really like the San Marco Concor
Light. I've never broken either, but titanium pedal spindles and bottom
bracket spindles just don't seem like a good idea for the rider over
200lbs.

Worry about aerodynamics and efficiency (stiffness, durability) more than
weight. They mean more to you as a big triathlete than weight does. And
don't believe the hype that big guys can't climb. They won't climb fastest,
but if you concentrate on your riding, your weight and the hills, you'll
climb with your undersized friends and maybe even make them hurt.

Morgan Fletcher
6'2", 215lbs, 175 miles a week
Oakland, CA