GUNI is here!!!

Old July 23rd 05, 05:31 AM
David_Stone

Default GUNI is here!!!

My Sclumpf geared uni ("guni" I call it) has arrived!!!

First of all, it's a thing of beauty. I love the black frame and tire,
and the chrome bits look super. I will prolly change the pedals to
something grippier, but they're a lot better than the old Schwinn pedals
we used to get back when. The seat is a lot like a KH, and I happen to
like those seats for my riding (10 miles/day), tho for REALLY long
rides, I'd prolly switch to a Sem air seat.

Most important -- how does it ride?!?!

That's where the real beauty of this uni comes out. I bought the 28" -
42" version with a Big Apple tire. At 28" (1:1 ratio), it rides almost
exactly like a regular 28" uni would, tho it's overall a bit heavier and
due to the hub. There is nearly zero slop -- you don't feel like it's
flipping bw gears. Harper's fantastic uni.5 definitely had more slop,
tho in both cases, one gets used to it after awhile. In this case, the
'getting used to it' period was approximately one minute.

I rode it at 1:1 around a quiet bike loop that has one moderate uphill
and one moderate downhill section. The 3.35-mile loop took 17 mins, and
my top speed was about 15mph. Then I gave it a shot in the 1.5:1
setting. It took me a few tries to get going, and my legs were tired
from the previous loop, but I managed to stay on for the whole ride and
to complete the loop in just under 15 mins. This time, my max speed was
a whopping 19.8 mph, and I was still taking it easy (out of fear). In
fact, I set the seat height too low (by nearly an inch), so it should be
easy to break 21 mph when the conditions are even better. Whether I can
knock off another minute in my loop record remains to be seen. The
sub-14-minute time I achieved on my Coker some years ago was accomplised
using 110m cranks, and since then, I've gone to 125s on both my Coker
and on my guni.

There was definitely a -bit- more slop at the 1.5:1 setting, but it was
almost negligible and was definitely easy to get used to. What is NOT so
easy to get used to is the idea that if you UPD, you'll be running a LOT
faster than your gams can take you, and you'll have less reaction time
since you'll be closer to the ground than with a Coker. I hate that
part. I'm looking forward to some spectacular UPDs. Definitely can't go
riding sans wristguards at the geared-up setting.

As for switching 'on the fly' -- I was able to manage that the first
time I tried and pretty much each time since then. I find it a lot
easier to switch up (from the low to the high gear) than to switch down.
I used my ankles, and I rode slowly when in transition.

It's a blast. And I have a name for my guni: Queen Gunivere. And given
how breathless I was during the ride, that makes me Sir Pants-A-Lot.

David Stone

--
David_Stone

Dictator for Life,
NYUC
David_Stone's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3834

Old July 23rd 05, 05:50 AM
Unitik908

Pictures? sounds pretty awesome

Chase

--
Unitik908 - The Lone Clothespin....

All hail the exhaulted Sigpoose, for he is forever king...
R.I.P Unibiker
R.I.P Gazzaloddi
R.I.P Paul Hester
R.I.P Mitch Hedberg
R.I.P Pope John Paul II
R.I.P James_Potters_Cat
YAMS

Old July 23rd 05, 11:20 AM
flyer

That's amazing. I wish I had the cash to drop on a machine like that.
Good luck staying in one piece! I'm sure the sheer awesome will make up
for the worst UPD though

--
flyer - Level 5 Unicyclist
flyer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9894

Old July 23rd 05, 11:20 AM
jagur

Unitik908 wrote:
*Pictures? *

sounds like to fast a ride for pix to me.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

smoke me a kipper, i'll be back for breakfast.
-forget_your_life-
--------------------------------------
-------*muni militia *-------
*one wheeled death squad*

Old July 23rd 05, 06:02 PM
litldude2

Unitik908 wrote:
*Pictures? *

Nah, we need video!

--
litldude2 - Spencer

Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
________________
LitlDude2: you suck
Byrnetown: yea
________________
beware of the evan!

Old July 23rd 05, 06:45 PM
David_Stone

I'm not really expert at linking photos -- can never get them small
enough. Here is my attempt to link a small photo of the Queen, taken
with my phone outside my house.

I'll try to get some more photos and some video when I take the Queen to
the NAUCC.

| Attachment filename: guni.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/341361|

Old July 23rd 05, 07:31 PM
bugman

David_Stone wrote:
*I'm not really expert at linking photos -- can never get them small
enough. Here is my attempt to link a small photo of the Queen, taken
with my phone outside my house.

I'll try to get some more photos and some video when I take the Queen
to the NAUCC. *

Look forward to seeing this thing of wonder.

--
bugman - Proud member of the UALW

Old July 23rd 05, 07:31 PM
uni57

David_Stone wrote:
*I'm not really expert at linking photos -- can never get them small
enough. *

Congratulations. (you have graduated to over-achiever -- this pic is
too small)

Can't wait to see it in person at a NYUC meeting!

--
uni57 - David C. Lowell

dave lowell (uni57)
uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

Old July 23rd 05, 11:06 PM
Kayote

This has got to be a stupid question, but how would this Guni do on a
trail ride? Sort of a GuniMuni thing?

--
Kayote

Greg, your cartoonin' unicycler.

http://www.cafepress.com/unicycles
Kayote's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8562

Old July 24th 05, 12:38 AM
David_Stone

Kayote wrote:
*This has got to be a stupid question, but how would this Guni do on a
trail ride? Sort of a GuniMuni thing? *

There are no stupid questions -- only fatal ones (like: "Does this thing
really explode if you shake it?" -- said while shaking the item in
question).

I haven't taken her gearness out on a trail or even on a grassy knoll,
so I can't answer, but I'm going to wait to hear from other guni owners
before subjecting mine to any harsh treatment.