A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Why Are People Here?

Old July 9th 19, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default Why Are People Here?

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 3:35:14 PM UTC+1, duane wrote:
On 09/07/2019 1:35 a.m., wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 8:20:08 PM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm not really criticizing the data-driven cyclists. I'm just amazed at
the phenomenon, in much the same way I'm amazed by the couple I know who
weigh their portions at every meal. I think it makes sense if you're a
racer, to help your training. I'm just amazed that non-racers get that
data hungry.

Define a racer or a non racer. Why are you so amazed and telling us that again and again followed by another more or less silly story or habit about yourselve or one of your friends/riding buddies.

At the end of my annual week in the real mountains I participated again in the 'Maratona dles Dolomiti' an event with over 9000 participants. All with their own motivation. Some of them just want to finish, most of them want to do 'well' or even win in their class. Even the people who just want to enjoy the stunning scenery prepared themselves in one way or the other using some kind of data (heartrate, progress in average speed, power) to keep track of their progress in their preparation. Everyone, even the ones who took the whole day to finish the shortest distance and just enjoyed the scenery or the company of the fellow cyclist from all over the world will look at the ranking provided by the organisation:

https://services.datasport.com/2019/velo/maradolo/

Some of them just laugh and make fun of themselves, some of the will be happy to see that they done well and some will be disapointed and find a motivation to do better next year. All good and we all have a beer or a pasta afterwards.

Yet here we are stuck with Frank telling us he is amazed, dont understand our motivation to use data and telling us again and again that the improvement in performance using more advanced equipment is irrelevent, non detectable or silly to use for non racers.
You told us you did some races and time trials in the past, but you are to old for that now or to slow, but please stop make snotty remarks about people that didn't gave up on that yet. It makes you a nicer/less annoying person on the web.

Lou

+1

Make that +2.

Andre Jute
You can always count on Lou to make sense.
Ads
Old July 9th 19, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 7/8/2019 10:17 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 9:03:51 PM UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 1:55:31 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/8/2019 4:21 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 4:02:47 PM UTC-4, duane wrote:
On 08/07/2019 1:32 p.m., jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 7:27:54 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/8/2019 12:30 AM, jbeattie wrote:
I was particularly fond of my son's company issued beta head unit that showed 8,000 meters of elevation gain when you turned it on -- it spotted him 8,000 feet, which I thought was awesome. Free climbing. He was also supposed to beta test smart glasses with video display, but he passed.

I'm amazed at the data-head cycling contingent. I have no idea how many
meters elevation gain I've ever done. Heck, I don't usually click to see
my average speed - partly because it's too embarrassing.

Many decades ago on our first trip to England, we were staying at a
hostel somewhere in Devon. Another guy and his son bragged that they had
ridden 100 miles to get there that day.

When I later related that to another guy in the hostel, he said in a
dismissive tone, "Oh, he's just doing it for the numbers."

I don't even have an odometer/speedometer, but I'll probably get one or download Strava and have my phone do it. I do like to know how far I've gone and the elevation, although its not that important.

I no longer criticize the data-driven. First, people can do what they want to do (being data OCD is harmless), and second, for those who are training -- bicycling, weight lifting, what-have-you -- the studied seem to make huge improvements. I'm not training for anything except riding with my son in Utah. Data is not that important to me, and knowing my power would be downright depressing.

-- Jay Beattie.

You find motivation where it works for you. I like keeping track of my
performance. I'm not obsessive about it but it helps keep me motivated
to push.

I just bought a Cateye wireless bicycle computer. When I'm touring or riding long distances exploring, I find it nice to know how far I've gone and my average speed so that I know when to turn back for home. I just got the basic 8-functions one. I don't need to know temperature and a lot of the other stuff on the more expensive units.

My touring bike has an Avocet 35. Maybe 7 functions? I look at a few of
them - the speed and sometimes average speed. I'll check trip miles at
the end of a ride, and occasionally during one.

Since I still use paper maps, the trip odometer is occasionally handy
during a ride for navigating - as in "I have to turn left after 3/4 mile."

I like my iPhone for maps, although the small screen and lighting issues can make it frustrating, OTOH, a paper map often doesn't have the detail unless you take section maps. I also like taking pictures now, because sometimes you encounter things nobody would believe without a picture. Like an empty bike bridge. https://www.flickr.com/photos/127780...3/48224598087/

In fact, you can use your phone as a head unit if you buy a sensor and download the right aps.

-- Jay Beattie.

Or a paper map doesn't show that the bridge over the river has been out for 30+ years. That happened to us one time in Northern Ontario, Canada with so called up to date topographic maps. We road along an old logging road and discovered that there was no bridge over the river although the map showed one there. Fortunately the water wasn't too cold and we were able to swim across with the bikes and then again a couple of times with our gear.

I've had several adventures with so-called closed bridges. My general
rule of thumb is, no road or bridge is closed for a bicyclists.

But on at least one occasion, it took me 20 minutes and some difficult
climbing, carrying the bike and/or using it as a prop, to make it past a
thoroughly missing bridge. I won't be using that route again.

Tip: If you remember to keep the brakes squeezed, you can use a bike
much like a hiking staff to get up a really steep slope.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 9th 19, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

On 7/9/2019 1:35 AM, wrote:

data hungry.

Define a racer or a non racer.

?? Is that a serious question?

Why are you so amazed and telling us that again and again followed by another more or less silly story or habit about yourselve or one of your friends/riding buddies.

At the end of my annual week in the real mountains I participated again in the 'Maratona dles Dolomiti' an event with over 9000 participants. All with their own motivation. Some of them just want to finish, most of them want to do 'well' or even win in their class. Even the people who just want to enjoy the stunning scenery prepared themselves in one way or the other using some kind of data (heartrate, progress in average speed, power) to keep track of their progress in their preparation. Everyone, even the ones who took the whole day to finish the shortest distance and just enjoyed the scenery or the company of the fellow cyclist from all over the world will look at the ranking provided by the organisation:

Some of them just laugh and make fun of themselves, some of the will be happy to see that they done well and some will be disapointed and find a motivation to do better next year. All good and we all have a beer or a pasta afterwards.

Yet here we are stuck with Frank telling us he is amazed, dont understand our motivation to use data and telling us again and again that the improvement in performance using more advanced equipment is irrelevent, non detectable or silly to use for non racers.
You told us you did some races and time trials in the past, but you are to old for that now or to slow, but please stop make snotty remarks about people that didn't gave up on that yet. It makes you a nicer/less annoying person on the web.

I did some races and time trials in the past. My training was ... riding
my bike. When I did the road racing, the only instrumentation available
was a click-click-click cyclometer. Later, for time trials and rides up
to 200 miles per day, I had a 3 function cyclometer, one that didn't yet
have average or top speed. Honest, Lou, it's possible!

You get to use all the electronics, all the data logging, all the fancy
equipment you want for whatever reason you want. If you like spending
money to increase your average speed by a few percent, have at it! I'm
not attempting to forbid it.

But as I seem to have to repeat to you, this IS a discussion group!
People ARE expected to discuss things like benefits and detriments. I
think that should apply both to one individual's style of riding and to
groups of individuals whose style is different.

Are you trying to forbid that discussion? Are you trying to say we
should approve of every technology that purports to make riding a little
faster or a little better? No disagreement allowed?

How strange.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 9th 19, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 2:57:20 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
I was particularly fond of my son's company issued beta head unit that showed 8,000 meters of elevation gain when you turned it on -- it spotted him 8,000 feet, which I thought was awesome. Free climbing. He was also supposed to beta test smart glasses with video display, but he passed.

I don't even have an odometer/speedometer, but I'll probably get one or download Strava and have my phone do it. I do like to know how far I've gone and the elevation, although its not that important.

I no longer criticize the data-driven. First, people can do what they want to do (being data OCD is harmless), and second, for those who are training -- bicycling, weight lifting, what-have-you -- the studied seem to make huge improvements. I'm not training for anything except riding with my son in Utah. Data is not that important to me, and knowing my power would be downright depressing.

-- Jay Beattie.

to push.

I just bought a Cateye wireless bicycle computer. When I'm touring or riding long distances exploring, I find it nice to know how far I've gone and my average speed so that I know when to turn back for home. I just got the basic 8-functions one. I don't need to know temperature and a lot of the other stuff on the more expensive units.

I like my iPhone for maps, although the small screen and lighting issues can make it frustrating, OTOH, a paper map often doesn't have the detail unless you take section maps. I also like taking pictures now, because sometimes you encounter things nobody would believe without a picture. Like an empty bike bridge. https://www.flickr.com/photos/127780...3/48224598087/

In fact, you can use your phone as a head unit if you buy a sensor and download the right aps.

-- Jay Beattie.

Or a paper map doesn't show that the bridge over the river has been out for 30+ years. That happened to us one time in Northern Ontario, Canada with so called up to date topographic maps. We road along an old logging road and discovered that there was no bridge over the river although the map showed one there. Fortunately the water wasn't too cold and we were able to swim across with the bikes and then again a couple of times with our gear.

--
- Frank Krygowski

**** Frank, LOL that bridge I talked about wasn't closed it was gone completely!

On one of the mining roads in Northern Ontario Canada my buddy had trouble riding his loaded MTB up a rocky and loose surface road hill, so he decided to walk up the next hill like that. The problem was that when he tried to push the MTB up the hill he ended up sliding down instead. The next hill we rode he stayed in a low gear and rode it.

Cheers
Old July 9th 19, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 4:23:58 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, July 9, 2019 at 2:57:20 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:

-- Jay Beattie.

to push.

-- Jay Beattie.

--
- Frank Krygowski

**** Frank, LOL that bridge I talked about wasn't closed it was gone completely!

Mine too, the one where I used the bike as a sort of brace. It was on a road
along a lake I passed many times but never rode, about 40 miles from here. One
day, I changed my usual route to check it out despite the "Bridge Out" signs. I
asked several people along the road if a bike could get through, but nobody
knew. I was pretty committed when I rode a long, steep downhill to access the
road.

Nobody knew because the road department had _thoroughly_ closed the road,
including with a four foot high gravel pile, probably to keep out four-wheelers.
I climbed over that, rode another quarter mile, and saw the gap: Maybe 25 feet
across, maybe 8 feet deep, with a tiny stream about two feet wide at the bottom.

The slopes both down and up were as steep as the dirt would stand (i.e. at the
"angle of repose") so it was a real test of nerve. As I said, I got through it
by placing the bike sideways, locking the brakes, and using it as a brace both
down and up.

I've shouldered my bike and walked across steel beams of bridges without a deck.
I've walked across a creek on an I-beam that construction workers were using as
they rebuilt a bridge. I've ridden across just-completed bridges before they
were open to traffic (once with a white hard hat foreman yelling at me). It's
hard to stop a determined bicyclist.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 9th 19, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 4:58:50 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 16:01:04 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 3:54:00 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 10:27:51 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

But did he post the details on the Internet so everyone would know
what a wonderful and athletic person he was? And that he has a $4,000
bicycle?
--
cheers,

John B.

My, the tears flow so often and heavily from your eyes when you come to discover that someone was a great deal more successful than you and even with memory deficits can remember numbers better than you.

:-) Tom I own two homes, outright, no mortgage, and you own a $4,000
bicycle. Tell us again about success.
--
cheers,

John B.

My home is worth $700,000. Why don't you tell us what to dump sites in Thailand are worth?
Old July 9th 19, 11:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 6:03:51 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
I was particularly fond of my son's company issued beta head unit that showed 8,000 meters of elevation gain when you turned it on -- it spotted him 8,000 feet, which I thought was awesome. Free climbing. He was also supposed to beta test smart glasses with video display, but he passed..

-- Jay Beattie.

to push.

-- Jay Beattie.

The top of the line Garman can cross connect to your iPhone and do just about anything you can conceive. So you can set precise courses of max mileage to turn-around etc.
Old July 9th 19, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster

On 10/7/19 8:36 am, Tom Kunich wrote:

My home is worth $700,000. Why don't you tell us what to dump sites in Thailand are worth?

Over here, a term for what you are doing is called "dick swinging".

--
JS
Old July 10th 19, 12:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 7/9/2019 5:36 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 16:01:04 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 3:54:00 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 8 Jul 2019 10:27:51 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

But did he post the details on the Internet so everyone would know
what a wonderful and athletic person he was? And that he has a $4,000
bicycle?
--
cheers,

John B.

My, the tears flow so often and heavily from your eyes when you come to discover that someone was a great deal more successful than you and even with memory deficits can remember numbers better than you.

--
cheers,

John B.

I hear $750K buys bupkus in Oakland:

https://www.sfgate.com/realestate/ar...photo-12560539

Do you still have any property tax on such a cheap place?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old July 10th 19, 12:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster

On Monday, July 8, 2019 at 10:35:26 PM UTC-7, wrote:

data hungry.

Define a racer or a non racer. Why are you so amazed and telling us that again and again followed by another more or less silly story or habit about yourselve or one of your friends/riding buddies.

Lou

I arrived home after 39 miles, 3,500 ft. of climbing and logged it. Just over 2,000 miles and just over 80,000 Ft of climbing. I guess that keeping track of that sort of thing insults Frank whose idea of a ride is down to the village and back.