Can 7800 Brake pads be used on 7700 Brakes?

Old December 8th 05, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Can 7800 Brake pads be used on 7700 Brakes?

Since Shimano 7800 pads are made wit ha different material that increases
stopping in wet weather is there any reason won can' t use them on the 7700?

Thanks,

Barb

Old December 8th 05, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005 22:17:50 -0800, "Barbara L"
wrote:

Since Shimano 7800 pads are made wit ha different material that increases
stopping in wet weather is there any reason won can' t use them on the 7700?

Thanks,

Barb

If they fit, you could use them. But, many of the regulars here,
recommend Kool Stop Salmon pads.
Here, take a look:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html

I have them on both of my bikes, and I am very happy with them. On the
old [1976] road bike, the improvement was obvious. On my LeMond, they
stop good, wear well, and don't seem to hold any rim damaging road
crap. Highly recommended!

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old December 8th 05, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

One issue I had with the kool stops was where the kool stop pad flared out
as I'd prefer to use Kool stop and had on mtn bikes in years past. The LBS
said to stick with the DA pads. I switch wheels from training to Zipp race
wheels and it became a noticeable. Do all the Kool stop flare out. Any
suggestions besides trying to shave it off with a razor blade & a finger or
to in the process.

Thanks

Barb

Old December 8th 05, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

What do you mean by "flare out"? Do you mean the "scraper tip" thingie"
Take it off with a utility knife if razors scare you or just readjust
your brakes.

Otherwise, go old school with some Continentals, no "flare" whatsoever,
though they'd look a bit goofy with DA calipers. :P

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#dura

Old December 10th 05, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Since Shimano 7800 pads are made wit ha different material that increases
stopping in wet weather is there any reason won can' t use them on the
7700?

Thanks,

Barb

If they fit, you could use them. But, many of the regulars here,
recommend Kool Stop Salmon pads.
Here, take a look:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html

I have them on both of my bikes, and I am very happy with them. On the
old [1976] road bike, the improvement was obvious. On my LeMond, they
stop good, wear well, and don't seem to hold any rim damaging road
crap. Highly recommended!

Life is Good!
Jeff

"Plow tips". A dumb idea for an otherwise good pad. I take them off
with a bench grinder. A piece of blocked sandpaper or something sharp
works. Wet the cutting edge!

BTW, the 7800 DA pads fit and they're an improved material, though not
as good or good value as the Kool-stops. My suspicion is that they are
only one version of the pad plus one for ceramic and one for carbon rims.

Robin Hubert
Old December 10th 05, 07:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

eh? why? have you ever bothered to consider the nature of their
operation? do you ever ride in the wet? they're there for a purpose -
they reduce the amount of grit getting trapped under the pad and
abrading the rim. particularly on the first series shimano dual pivots
where the built-in angle of toe seemed specifically designed for grit
catching.

A piece of blocked sandpaper or something sharp
works. Wet the cutting edge!

BTW, the 7800 DA pads fit and they're an improved material, though not
as good or good value as the Kool-stops. My suspicion is that they are
only one version of the pad plus one for ceramic and one for carbon rims.

Robin Hubert

Bike Stopping distances? [email protected] Techniques 13 September 23rd 05 04:51 PM
brakes pads not aligning to rim - how to fix? Tom Techniques 3 February 19th 05 04:03 AM
How To Remove Brake Pads from Holder??? Arthur Shapiro Techniques 3 September 14th 04 04:22 AM
Brake Pads Lee UK 8 February 18th 04 01:34 AM
Adjusting cantilever brakes and brake quick release Noel Llopis Techniques 5 February 2nd 04 10:41 PM