Child seats front mount, headset load

Old January 31st 09, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Child seats front mount, headset load

My next door neighbor asked me to help install one of these:
"http://www.ibertinc.com/" on his new bicycle today.

Seems to me like the headset and stem were never intended for this kind
of extra load, though I guess it's not a big deal if the headset
bearings need to be replaced more often.

I tried riding the bike with the seat installed and it was pretty cramped.
Old January 31st 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

SMS schreef:
My next door neighbor asked me to help install one of these:
"http://www.ibertinc.com/" on his new bicycle today.

Seems to me like the headset and stem were never intended for this kind
of extra load, though I guess it's not a big deal if the headset
bearings need to be replaced more often.

I tried riding the bike with the seat installed and it was pretty cramped.

Dutch mothers do that all the time. Not on silly ATB's but proper Dutch
utility bikes.

Lou
Old February 1st 09, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Lou Holtman wrote:
SMS schreef:
My next door neighbor asked me to help install one of these:
"http://www.ibertinc.com/" on his new bicycle today.

Seems to me like the headset and stem were never intended for this
kind of extra load, though I guess it's not a big deal if the headset
bearings need to be replaced more often.

I tried riding the bike with the seat installed and it was pretty
cramped.

Dutch mothers do that all the time. Not on silly ATB's but proper Dutch
utility bikes.

But aren't most of those seats supported by the top tube, or by the
headset tube and seat tube or seatpost? I.e.
"http://www.weeride.com/Kangaroo-Center-Mounted-Child-Bicycle-Carrier"

The ibert attaches only to the stem. You're putting another 20-30 pounds
of weight on the stem, and it's not even straight down on it.
Old February 1st 09, 10:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Borsje[_6_]

SMS formulated the question :
Lou Holtman wrote:
SMS schreef:
My next door neighbor asked me to help install one of these:
"http://www.ibertinc.com/" on his new bicycle today.

Seems to me like the headset and stem were never intended for this kind of
extra load, though I guess it's not a big deal if the headset bearings
need to be replaced more often.

I tried riding the bike with the seat installed and it was pretty cramped.

Dutch mothers do that all the time. Not on silly ATB's but proper Dutch
utility bikes.

But aren't most of those seats supported by the top tube, or by the headset
tube and seat tube or seatpost? I.e.
"http://www.weeride.com/Kangaroo-Center-Mounted-Child-Bicycle-Carrier"

The ibert attaches only to the stem. You're putting another 20-30 pounds of
weight on the stem, and it's not even straight down on it.

It depend on the size, but the seats for the smallest are indeed fixed
to the steerer tueb as you can see he

http://www.bobike.nl/pdf/gebruiksaan...g_mini+_nl.pdf

Martin