AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old May 8th 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Prejudice not justified?

On Sun, 7 May 2017 13:20:27 -0000 (UTC), Andrew Chaplin
wrote:

How high is the water these days?

Cherry Creek/Wyland Ditch is full, but still has a comfortable amount
of bank showing.

A few years ago, the spring rains brought the lake over Park Avenue
and got our heating ducts wet. That was when I found out what the
culvert under the road in the bike trails was for.

A few millennia ago, Pike, Center, Hidden, and Winona were all one
lake. Winona is rapidly filling in, but Pike's creek flows through a
swamp that settles the dirt. I don't know what feeds Center, and I've
never seen Hidden.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old May 14th 17, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: No matter how egregious

A while back I was riding north on Park Avenue when I noticed a truck
approaching from behind. It was not signaling, so I moved into the
right-turn lane to allow it to pass. It didn't pass. I slowed to
encourage him to overtake, he remained behind me. Finally I ran out
of street and was forced to cross the intersection and come to a
complete stop behind a parked vehicle. *Now* he will pass! Nope, he
turned right.

&^%#@! If you'd signaled the way it says in the driver's manual,
you'd have saved both of us a *lot* of aggravation!

After a while, I realized that *I* had also failed to signal. When
99.99% percent of bike riders have been carefully shielded from any
risk of acquiring a clue, it was quite reasonable for him to assume
that I was unaware of his existence.

No matter how egregious, the other guy's behavior, you have to take
some of the responsibility for an unpleasant encounter.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
The above message is a Usenet post.

Old May 21st 17, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Rules that apply everywhere, part two

One rule that applies everywhere is "if no-one else wants it, you may
have it".

The hard part is determining that no-one else wants it.

Usually something set out by the road for the trash pick-up is fair
game, but I read about a trash hauler who got quite sniffy about
people picking good parts out of the trash. I think the company's
argument was that the owners hadn't abandoned the property, but had
transferred ownership.

Around here, the trash hauler sees stolen trash as one bit less that
has to be buried -- "sanitary landfill" was as silly a promotion as
all the other campaigns that had to be expensively sold and
evangelized (for example, the one that persuaded mothers that if they
followed the age-old practice of allowing a baby to lie on its back,
it would choke on its vomit), but that's another rant.

I have picked many a useful item out of the trash, though the only one
that comes to mind at the moment is a pair of perfectly-good crutches
I saw sticking out of a trash can. (I do hope they were cast aside
joyfully!) This struck me as something it would be wise to stash in
the hall closet in case of need, so I picked them out and took them
home -- whereupon I discovered that at their shortest setting, they
were for someone about twelve inches taller than me, so I took them to
Goodwill. No doubt some tall person was glad to get them. And I
never did need a pair of crutches -- my rolling walker works much
better. (It doesn't fit into the closet, though.)

I had something profound to say about determining whether nobody else
wants to use the road, but during the wordy digression, I forgot what.

Old May 21st 17, 09:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

On Sat, 20 May 2017 23:26:23 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

[...]

I was even worse. I used to drive out to the land fill on a weekday
and prospect the place. I once found a perfectly good steel frame road
bike built for a very small adult or a child. I salvaged that (a
couple of six-packs to the land fill guys) and we stripped the thing
down and I had some friends in the Paint shop give it a really nifty
two color paint job (two more six-packs).

It looked so good that a couple of cops stopped the boy and asked him
where he got it. The Kid says, "My father made it". The cops put the
kin and the bike in a cruiser and brought him home. "Err, Missus,
where did your boy get this bicycle". "My husband made it." "What does
your husband do?" "Oh, he's in the Air Force, out to the base."

I always figured that the bike was pretty much theft proof after that
:-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 28th 17, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Three-day Weekend

TODAY:

About half a package of cream cheese.

Two heaping tablespoons of prepared horseradish.

One heaping teaspoon of dry mustard.

Two level teaspoons of salt.

Two cranks of black pepper.

Three shakes of turmeric.

eighteen eggs, hard-boiled and separated.

Sufficient sour cream.

Sweet-mini pepper rings for garnish.

YESTERDAY:

Potato salad: four huge potatoes, zapped and baked one at a time.

TOMORROW:

Eat barbecue.

MONDAY:

Laundry.

--------

You see any time for writing in that schedule?

I saw a park-type tandem go by the other day. The stoker appeared to
be wearing a suit, or at least a sport coat and slacks. I didn't get
a good look.

Living between the village park and the Heritage Trail, I see more
tandems than most people. Been years since I saw a four-wheel
side-by-side, though.

Old June 4th 17, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Oops

When I was suiting up to go to the farmers' markets this morning, I
realized that after Thursday's thirty-mile ride, I'd thrown my sweaty
do rag into a bucket of water -- and it was still there.

So I had to wear a bandana. Two layers of cotton are much warmer than
one layer of white linen -- and it was our first summer day.

Old June 4th 17, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 04 Jun 2017 00:24:22 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

When I was suiting up to go to the farmers' markets this morning, I
realized that after Thursday's thirty-mile ride, I'd thrown my sweaty
do rag into a bucket of water -- and it was still there.

So I had to wear a bandana. Two layers of cotton are much warmer than
one layer of white linen -- and it was our first summer day.

Why not have more than one "do-rag"?
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 6th 17, 04:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 05 Jun 2017 10:26:51 +0700, John B.
wrote:

My wife does do-rags as part of a normal dress making session. Use the
remnants. Patterns made years ago. Whatever thread is in the
machine...

Now is a fine time to think of it -- I could have borrowed Dave's
black cotton do-rag, which is the one I copied to make my white linen
do-rag.

A few years back, he needed soft cotton scalp covers, so I downloaded
do-rag patterns, drafted a pattern I thought would fit, and tweaked
the fit after each one. When I decided that I needed less scarf in
hot weather, I tried them all on, and made mine by the pattern for the
one that fit me. I am rather surprised that it's the one with the
highest crown, since his head is much larger than mine. But I need to
cover my ears, and he doesn't.

I enjoyed making a white linen do-rag; it felt so dainty, like an
eighteenth-century cap, even though I made it entirely by machine.
(Eighth-inch (3 mm) seams will do that.)

Old June 6th 17, 08:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

My wife makes patterns - once years ago I paid for her to be what
might be termed an apprentice in a dress making shop and the first
thing that they taught her was how to measure people and how to make
the patterns from those measurements. She now has patterns from years
ago (many of which won't fit any more :-).

see http://tinyurl.com/y84nh7pbaps, some of which might look nice
under a helmet :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old June 11th 17, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: sometimes I hate being a scofflaw

You may have noticed that I ran out of things to say months ago, but
something mildly humorous happened on today's ride.

I seem to recall that the forecast for today predicted
fifteen-mile-an-hour winds from the south about the time that I
reached the northernmost point on my route and turned south. If so, I
got the distinct impression that they delivered.

So I was on a long, straight north-south road, slogging into a high
wind in a very low gear -- and came upon a sign saying "reduce speed
ahead".

I'm not sure that it's even *possible* to ride any slower!