AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old July 1st 19, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: My first batch of switchel

On 7/1/2019 1:03 AM, John B. wrote:

I remember my mother and her three sisters once trying to tell
"Mother" that she ought to get a gas stove, it must have been
thanksgiving as the whole clan was at "Grampa's" house, and I
remember my grandmother telling her daughters that "she'd been cooking
on that stove since she was married and it still worked just fine".

And I bet your mother stuck to toe clips and friction shifting too! ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 2nd 19, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
jOHN b.

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 11:14:19 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 7/1/2019 1:03 AM, John B. wrote:

I remember my mother and her three sisters once trying to tell
"Mother" that she ought to get a gas stove, it must have been
thanksgiving as the whole clan was at "Grampa's" house, and I
remember my grandmother telling her daughters that "she'd been cooking
on that stove since she was married and it still worked just fine".

And I bet your mother stuck to toe clips and friction shifting too! ;-)

Goodness, you must be one of those "young fellows" that can't remember
what it was like back in the days of coaster brakes.
The second verse of the Bicycle Built for Two song was far more
accurate than the first:

Michael, Michael
Here is your answer true.
I'll not cycle
Over the world with you.
If you can't afford a carriage,
There won't be any marriage.
'Cause I'll be switched,
If I'll be hitched
On a bicycle built for two!

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 4th 19, 05:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Mon, 01 Jul 2019 12:03:59 +0700, John B.
wrote:

But I also remember that in later years she had a kerosene stove on
the back porch for summer.

Grandma had a kerosene stove in their summer cabin; I didn't notice
what she had in the house, but I think it was gas. At least she had a
toaster that sat over the flame, and I don't think one would do that
with kerosene. I don't remember seeing gas bottles outside, but I
wouldn't have thought gas bottles worth noticing.

Dad said that his home place had a "summer kitchen" that was in an
entirely-separate building.

Our neighbor had two stoves in her kitchen; in hindsight, I'm pretty
sure one was a range and the other was for summer use.

Mom cooked on "the old Anderson", a gas stove. Must have bought it
right after the war; the kitchen at the Scircleville place was built
around it. Or it could have been a vestige of the old kitchen that
she kept when we got electricity and running water; she liked that
stove so much that she moved it to the Colfax place after Dad retired.
I don't remember that the deep well ever worked, but oh, that
brick-lined oven! And it had a separate broiler you didn't have to
bend over, which also heated a griddle.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Old July 7th 19, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Qotable Quote

From a review of _Cyclecraft_ by Robert Hooks:

Nearly all of this is common sense, but reading it gives you an
unnerving sense of just what an uncommon quality that is. Every day,
it seems, I see hoards of cyclists heaving their way off from traffic
lights, wobbling and shuddering with effort because the bike is in too
high a gear. They block traffic and put themselves in jeopardy by
being unstable, and deprive themselves of the option of sprinting away
from danger. Did nobody explain to them that you always change into a
lower gear before you stop?

------------------

I suspect that Mr. Hooks meant "hordes", but the idea of hoarding
cyclists has a certain appeal.

Old July 7th 19, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/6/2019 7:22 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

From a review of _Cyclecraft_ by Robert Hooks:

Nearly all of this is common sense, but reading it gives you an
unnerving sense of just what an uncommon quality that is. Every day,
it seems, I see hoards of cyclists heaving their way off from traffic
lights, wobbling and shuddering with effort because the bike is in too
high a gear. They block traffic and put themselves in jeopardy by
being unstable, and deprive themselves of the option of sprinting away
from danger. Did nobody explain to them that you always change into a
lower gear before you stop?

------------------

I suspect that Mr. Hooks meant "hordes", but the idea of hoarding
cyclists has a certain appeal.

But regarding his point: I know a few fairly avid cyclists who have
somehow never mastered the skill of getting off to a quick and graceful
start. They repeatedly dab one foot at the ground, trying to push off as
if they were on a kick scooter, instead of pedaling down on the raised
crank at the same time they rise into the saddle.

I've learned it's best to keep well clear of them as they attempt to get
moving.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 14th 19, 05:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Four-way stops

I was in a discussion once that included a guy who couldn't wrap his
head around the notion of four-way stops. No matter how we explained
it, he replied, "But nobody can ever go because everybody else has to
go first!"

Says here in my notes (I'm at the bottom of the pile stick-pinned to
my monitor stand, and will soon start on the pile picked up off the
floor, then the ones that fell behind the other montor stand)

(Just held the two remaining slips up to the light: hoo, do they ever
have a lot of pinholes! I kept adding the new slip that I intended to
transcribe this very evening to the top of the pile. I would also
unpin it, read it, and put it back.)

It says in my notes that during a ride on Saturday, 25 May 2019, I
thought of a way to explain stop signs that had a chance of getting
through to him.

I'll never find that discussion again. I don't even know that it was
somewhere on Usenet, but none of my Web forums allow discussion as
opposed to one or two rounds of post-and-response, except for the
forum maintained by the author of "How to make Sewing Patterns", and
that one sticks quite firmly to the topic. We don't even discuss ways
of altering ready-made patterns.

So I'll post to the choir here.

And it's very simple:

At *every* stop sign, you stop and wait until it's your turn.

That's it. You wait until it's your turn.

At the intersection of a minor road and a major one, The person on the
minor road has his turn when nobody on the major road wants the
intersection.

At the intersection of two equal roads, where everybody has a stop
sign, it's your turn when all the vehicles that were there when you
arrived are gone.

When you aren't sure which vehicle arrived first, it's the turn of the
fellow who has the other guy on his left -- that is, yield to the guy
on your right. (I presume, with no evidence, that it's the other way
around where people drive on the left.)

When traffic is backed up, it's the turn of the vehicle to the right
of the vehicle that had the previous turn.

By the general rule that it's your turn when nobody else wants the bit
of road that you want to use, if you and the guy facing you both want
to go straight, when the turn comes to either, both may go.

Likewise, you may turn right after verifying that nobody is coming
from your left, and that nobody facing you wants to turn left.

--
Joy Beeson

Old July 15th 19, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_2_]

On 14/07/2019 12:02 a.m., Joy Beeson wrote:

[...]

I guess it's confusing enough that John Prine wrote a song about it.