Hope rear disc not quite powerful enough?

Old August 11th 03, 07:03 PM
Daz N

Default Hope rear disc not quite powerful enough?

Hi,

For a while now I've had hope 4 pot XC discs with standard hope pads.
Recently I changed the pads and had a bit of a struggle, the new rear pads
wouldn't fit as they touched the disc, even with the adjuster wound all the
way out. Anyway once the new front ones had worn slightly I put them on the
back and new pads on the front.

Now it seems as though if I'm doing anything more than 10 miles an houe the
back brake is working at about 10% of what it should be. I can't even lock
the wheel on gravel!

The front brake is superb, in fact I could lock that everytime if I wanted
to.

So why is my back brake so crap? I know brakes are to be used as a pair but
if my front failed then I'd be stuffed!

Thanks in advance

Daz

Old August 11th 03, 10:57 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
So why is my back brake so crap? I know brakes are to be used as a pair but
if my front failed then I'd be stuffed!

I'd bet on something with the pads, not anything Hope-specific.

I've got a similar situation with my C2s, but not as bad as 10%...more like 40%.
I can make that comparison because both my FS and hardtail wheelsets have the
same Hope hubs and rotors. Only diff is that the hardtail has Avid mechs and
the FS has Hope C2's. I can swap rear wheels between FS and hardtail and
experience the diff. The rear Avid locks up the rear wheel on dry pavement if I
apply them very hard at all. With the Hope there's no way I can lock the rear
wheel - but performance is still good enough, so I haven't sprung for
replacement pads yet.... Also, the Avid pads are sintered-something-or-other
and the Hopes are a third-party's "Green" compound...
-----------------------
PeteCresswell
Old August 12th 03, 12:20 PM
Daz N

Hi,

The hope pads I bought where supposed to be "sintered"... perhaps I should
just accept that I need to use front and rear together!

Thanks

RE/

Old August 12th 03, 01:04 PM
Shaun Rimmer

Daz N wrote in message
[...]

Try finding fine, stone free wet mud and plastering it all over the rotor.
Go fast, brake hard. Repeat. If you can't find the mud, find dust and make
mud.

Best way I've found for bedding in new pads, and cleaning crap off old ones.

Shaun aRe

Old August 12th 03, 08:43 PM
Stephen Baker

Daz N says:

The hope pads I bought where supposed to be "sintered"..

THat's just a method of construction, it doesn't mean they are run in.

perhaps I should
just accept that I need to use front and rear together!

That, as they say, is a big "Duh!!" ALWAYS use them together.......

Steve
Old August 13th 03, 02:13 PM
Stephen Baker

Daz N top-posts:

Meaning that I have to accept the fact that the rear doesn't work on it's
own, DUH!

No - meaning that you should always use both brakes.
Sometimes you may want a little more at the front than normal, sometimes a
little less, but you should always grab both. If _nothing_ else, it puts both
arms in the same "mode" making steering more positive than having one arm
tensed and the other not.

Steve
Old August 14th 03, 02:18 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 19:03:08 +0100, "Daz N"
wrote:

Hi,

For a while now I've had hope 4 pot XC discs with standard hope pads.
Recently I changed the pads and had a bit of a struggle, the new rear pads
wouldn't fit as they touched the disc, even with the adjuster wound all the
way out. Anyway once the new front ones had worn slightly I put them on the
back and new pads on the front.

Now it seems as though if I'm doing anything more than 10 miles an houe the
back brake is working at about 10% of what it should be. I can't even lock
the wheel on gravel!

The front brake is superb, in fact I could lock that everytime if I wanted
to.

So why is my back brake so crap? I know brakes are to be used as a pair but
if my front failed then I'd be stuffed!

Thanks in advance

Daz

Avid mechs,
Bill
The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]