More on that 90 year old

Old January 12th 19, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default More on that 90 year old

More on the story of the 90 year old whose track record was stripped.

https://www.flobikes.com/articles/63...arl-grove-case

I believe the guy.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 12th 19, 01:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
More on the story of the 90 year old whose track record was stripped.

https://www.flobikes.com/articles/63...arl-grove-case

I believe the guy.

From cycling to cancer testing to terrorist no fly lists, false positives
are a truly gnarly problem.

Old January 12th 19, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 4:34:49 PM UTC-8, Ralph Barone wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
More on the story of the 90 year old whose track record was stripped.

https://www.flobikes.com/articles/63...arl-grove-case

I believe the guy.

From cycling to cancer testing to terrorist no fly lists, false positives
are a truly gnarly problem.

Hey its hospice racing anyway. Let him take whatever he wants. If the other guy in the race has a problem, the two can work it out -- maybe share the dope. Enjoy!

-- Jay Beattie.
Old January 12th 19, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 19:13:15 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

More on the story of the 90 year old whose track record was stripped.

https://www.flobikes.com/articles/63...arl-grove-case

I believe the guy.

I recently read something about the use of hormones in beef raising
and while the article didn't say so it appeared that most commercially
raised beer is treated with growth hormones. The article states that
"500 grams (~ 1 lb) of beef from an implanted steer contains
approximately 7 nanograms of estrogen compared to 5 nanograms of
estrogen from non-implanted beef.
Furthermore, there are many common foods that are naturally much
higher in estrogen than implanted beef. For example, 500 grams of tofu
contains 16,214,285 times the amount of estrogen compared to the same
amount of implanted beef".

On the other hand the liver does act on hormones:
"The normal liver function depends upon the amount of hormones in the
blood which is regulated not only by the endocrine glands (EG) but by
the liver itself to a large degree. The hormone content in the blood
may be normal, when the EG function is increased, if the liver removes
them intensively, inactivates them and excretes in the bile. If the
hormone excess exceeds the regulatory capacities of the liver, their
level in the blood increases."

But a 90 year old athlete isn't that rare :-) Fauja Singh, born 1
April 1911, is a British Sikh centenarian marathon runner who among
other endeavors, participated in the Hong Kong marathon in 2013, five
weeks shy of his 102nd birthday, completing a 10 kilometer run in 1
hour 32 minutes and 28 seconds.

See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ters_athletics
for more old geezers that run fast :-) The same site also lists a
bunch of old ladies that run fast :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old January 12th 19, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
More on the story of the 90 year old whose track record was stripped.

https://www.flobikes.com/articles/63...arl-grove-case

I believe the guy.

From cycling to cancer testing to terrorist no fly lists, false positives
are a truly gnarly problem.

Hey its hospice racing anyway. Let him take whatever he wants. If the
other guy in the race has a problem, the two can work it out -- maybe
share the dope. Enjoy!

-- Jay Beattie.

I'm gonna avoid making any humorous comments about the guy because he might
just be faster than me.

Old January 12th 19, 04:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
More on the story of the 90 year old whose track record was stripped.

https://www.flobikes.com/articles/63...arl-grove-case

I believe the guy.

From cycling to cancer testing to terrorist no fly lists, false positives
are a truly gnarly problem.

Hey its hospice racing anyway. Let him take whatever he wants. If the
other guy in the race has a problem, the two can work it out -- maybe
share the dope. Enjoy!

-- Jay Beattie.

I'm gonna avoid making any humorous comments about the guy because he might
just be faster than me.

I thought the same thing.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 13th 19, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Frank Krygowski wrote:
More on the story of the 90 year old whose track record was stripped.

https://www.flobikes.com/articles/63...arl-grove-case

I believe the guy.

From cycling to cancer testing to terrorist no fly lists, false positives
are a truly gnarly problem.

He had a drug test the day BEFORE the race that was completely negative. After setting the record he tested positive NOT for the drug epitrenbolone but for metabolites of the drug.

What did USADA say? "He was in the wrong for not reporting to us that he had eaten meat."

Surprise - this is a veterinary drug that is used in China. I'm pretty sure the only manufacturer of it is in China. It hasn't been tested in humans and why the hell it would be banned is only because it is an anabolic steroid. I think that one of the effects is that it increases catabolism and so it is used on cattle to increase their weight.

Old January 13th 19, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Frank Krygowski wrote:
More on the story of the 90 year old whose track record was stripped.

https://www.flobikes.com/articles/63...arl-grove-case

I believe the guy.

From cycling to cancer testing to terrorist no fly lists, false positives
are a truly gnarly problem.

Hey its hospice racing anyway. Let him take whatever he wants. If the
other guy in the race has a problem, the two can work it out -- maybe
share the dope. Enjoy!

-- Jay Beattie.

I'm gonna avoid making any humorous comments about the guy because he might
just be faster than me.

I felt 90 today. It was a gorgeous sunny but cold day, clear skies and windy. I did a meager 35 miles and 3500 feet of climbing -- all at maximum output chasing my best bicycling buddy who is having a great late CX early road season. I wish I had performance enhancing drugs -- and lost the 5 lbs I picked up over the holidays. My buddy is ten years younger and my almost next-door neighbor -- a great neighborhood bonus. The gap between us has always been about the same except in those years when one of us was recovering from something, but our average speed has probably dropped by 20% over the last 15 years. It doesn't matter, though, if the gaps stay the same. I spend more time on the bike but don't feel any more defeated.

-- Jay Beattie.