Triton Sponge frames... titanium trials.

Old September 13th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

Default Triton Sponge frames... titanium trials.

Remember that topic I posted about crown ideas a while back? Well I'm
sure quite a lot of you doubted that I'd ever get this done, but here's
to prove the doubters wrong:

[image:
http://photofile.ru/photo/tritonbicy.../64416070.jpg]

[image:
http://photofile.ru/photo/tritonbicy.../64416077.jpg]

[image:
http://photofile.ru/photo/tritonbicy.../64416072.jpg]

[image:
http://photofile.ru/photo/tritonbicy.../64416079.jpg]

[image:
http://photofile.ru/photo/tritonbicy.../64416082.jpg]

OT4 Titanium, hand-made in the Triton factory in Russia. After I put
forward my first design and after lots of small modifications after
looking at and borrowing beneficial aspects from current frames on the
market, I present to you the new Triton Sponge frame.

Right now, I have no idea of retail price, but production models won't
be made until these 2 have been given extensive testing and thrashing
to see if it's up to the stresses of trials. I must emphasise that I
myself am a trials rider and I designed this for trials (but also made
it friendly for those who wanted to glide). The corners of the crown
have been rounded so there is even less chance of getting leg-bash
during sloppy sidehops. I've also included a small plate under the
seattube neck so as to prevent grime and mud from burrowing itself into
the frame's tubes.

I know a lot of flatlanders will complain, but seriously, this wasn't
designed for flat. It was designed for purely trials (but with a
glide-able crown), I strongly wanted to avoid a simple round crown
partly for aesthetic reasons and also because this crown design is one
of the strongest I could go for considering the thickest tubing I could
use was 1mm thick. A flat crown like on the Black domina or KH would
not work well with 1mm thick tubing, hence I scrapped that idea a long
time ago.

The bearing holders look similar to those of the 2004 KH, as it would
be so expensive to produce fully machined bearing holders (without any
welds). I have put threads in the bottom half holders rather than those
top half ones welded to the legs because, say if you strip threads
somehow... (which is very hard to do with titanium compared to
aluminium) then you wouldn't be totally screwed as you can just replace
the bottom half holders. So this frame is therefore totally threadless,
but incorporates a KH-style bearing holder system, (only reverse).

I don't know the weights of these yet, but they are light for sure.

Last of all, many thanks to Dmitry (a friend and Triton consultant),
Michael (the engineer), and Andrei (the welder) for letting me
materialise my ideas.

I am expecting the retail price to be quite high, though I have no
control over it. Definitely over £100 though, maybe similar price to
the XTP... but to be honest, for a hand-made titanium frame, it really
isn't too bad a price considering custom titanium bike frames can cost
around £500-£1000!

I'm not expecting or wanting this to be a mass-produced thing, just an
option for the trials enthusiasts out there who want something quality.
This is my contribution to the unicycle community, and I hope you share
my interest and enthusiasm.

Enjoy.

NB: yes, it does look rather like the Quax alu frame! A pleasant
surprise, when I first saw the frames.

--
Sponge

MSN: feel free to add

*"Bikes are made to do trials, unis aren't."- Joe Hodges*

*"There is no reason to take skill level into account when making
friends with someone."- Brandon Hoerres*

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Smilymarco

They look sweet

Realy nice work

--
Smilymarco

'Municycle.com' (http://www.municycle.com)

DustinSchaap wrote:

tamesa is hot

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sp4rky-m4rky

That looks amazing, well done that is one sexy frame. Hope the extensive
testing goes well. Have you weighed it yet?

--
sp4rky-m4rky

you may be lucky but you make your own luck

*)--360--O* The Unispin Elite

)---'O, Crankflip
my 'videos' (http://www.youtube.com/user/c011in9s)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'video tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Harley

Very nice.

--
Harley

Always remember: With patience and perseverance you can **** a hole
through a rock.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Eddbmxdude

Sponge, they are ****ing awesome! Get some more made because I want one!
It would be so cool riding a frame designed by one of my mates!
Well done mate, its great to see someone so dedicated and giving
something back to the community!

I will have to catch you on msn sometime, because I want to seriously
ask you about getting one of these!

Rock on!
Edd

--
Eddbmxdude

Its like England here....Iv never seen so much sun!

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

"Unicycling only makes you look like a freak when you're riding." -
Unisteve
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Racenut

WoW!

I like I'm not even a trials rider, but I can sure appreciate nice
work. I'll be watching regarding price and availability also. My son
is starting to get into trials and he's quite small. So weight does
matter. It's tough for a 65 pound kid to toss around a beefy uni

--
Racenut

*Unicycling is easier than falling off a log. So long as falling off is
the goal.*
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Joe2005

Awesome frame looks just kick ass just one question was it vacuum welded
or just purged?

--
Joe2005

nobody knows what happened to that boy after that.-Nutcracker

i know. he was kidnapped by aliens, learnt their ways, stole the
biggest ship he could, travelled back in time by mistake and crashed
the plane on the earth surface. he was the one who killed the
dinosaurs. -ivan
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chexjc

I want to hear the results of testing too. Those look amazing
Nice Job!

--
Chexjc

www.myspace.com/thelostguitarist
AIM: Guitardude88
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JasonCheckla

Brian O. wrote:

brendan wrote:

when i flex both arms one looks puny next to the other. Mind you it was
that way after years of badminton...

And maybe playing a little too much with the shuttlecock as well?
Hmm?

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

I don't think you could keep them in stock. It doesn't even have to be
lighter then a KH. Not that greater strength, lighter weight isn't
important. The coolness factor of ti is such (could you treat it
somehow to get that rainbow jewelry effect some ti stuff has ?), that I
am sure a small production run would sell off quick at several times
that price.
I did not read any previous threads about this. What does the sponge
part refer to ?

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

Whoop!!! You finaly have them!

--
thejdw

kington99 wrote:
A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage

http://www.usenet.com