Triton Sponge frames... titanium trials.

Old September 13th 07, 07:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
señor coolguy

Default Triton Sponge frames... titanium trials.

feel the light wrote:
I did not read any previous threads about this. What does the sponge
part refer to ?

I'm pretty sure it's about his username

--
señor coolguy

Bryan Waterman wrote:
oh, I think my everybone is broken...

Monty Python wrote:
Half a bee, philosophically, Must, ipso facto, half not be. But half
the bee has got to be Vis a vis, its entity. D'you see?

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

I couldn't take my eyes off the frames! And not just regular titanium,
these were made from titanium sponge ! Sounds much lighter and high
tech then just plain old ti doesn't it?
Oh well, I still want some. I think you should gear up and do other
frame sizes as well. Really nice !

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

I was looking around for some picks of colorful ti systems I have seen
before. It appears they come from the factory silver, and pick up
rainbow hues as a sort of bluing effect from engine heat. I thought
they came like that. Maybe I will get one and use it as a muffler for a
little while before I put the wheel on. I want my welds to look like
that !

|Filename: acr7.jpg |

feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
The UniSLAB

I have a lot of used titanium exhuast systems for my motorcycles. Maybe
I can send them to him and I'll be able to get the effect your taling
about. BTW, the pic you posted is different than mine. Mine have like
an awsome purple blue-ish, raw titanium look. Their badass, I'm just
not sure if he could do it or not.

Also, titanium is very difficult to weld, so I hear. So as for the
craftsmanship, it looks top notch. I'm definatley interested in what
the testing reveals about your design. Good work

Old September 13th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

Thank you for the positive comments so far,

I've been really bogged down with the new AS work, as it's such a
surprising jump up from GCSE. Two long and boring history essays to do
this evening, so my first post was not as descriptive as I wanted it to
be.

However, to answer some questions so far,

I don't think we'll really be able to carry out that coloured weld
effect, I'm not 100% on that, there is a chance maybe it can be done,
but I have to ask the welder about that.

Price-wise, I said it'd definitely be over £100, but that doesn't mean
£110 or so, I'm guessing around the £185 mark or even more (similar to
XTP price), it depends on Dmitry. Titanium is very expensive.

Another good thing about Ti is that if it ever cracks, then you could
just get it rewelded without having to worry about heat treating. I'm
not an expert on titanium welding myself, but the general idea about a
lot of Ti frames is that they can be rewelded time and time again
whilst maintaining excellent strength the whole way through (just look
at "The Ti" formerly used by Dan heaton and zack baldwin, that frame
has been rewelded and is around 5-6 years old and still going strong).

I shall let you know how the frames are performing and responding to
testing. But it will be a while before they go on sale, unfortunately.
(However in small quantities only as they take a long time to each be
made and materials are limited).

--
Sponge

MSN: feel free to add

*"Bikes are made to do trials, unis aren't."- Joe Hodges*

*"There is no reason to take skill level into account when making
friends with someone."- Brandon Hoerres*

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Det-riot

great work man, its great to see someone pushing the limits for
equipment!

--
Det-riot

Ducttape wrote:
sounds like he toook a feild trip to jail.... DON'T DROP THE SOAP
DUDE!!!

KOXX-ONE* DOES NOT* SUCK!!!!
'MRIS!!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2486qk)
'1000th Post' (http://tinyurl.com/33shzt)
_*UNICYCLE_FOR_DONUTS!!!!*_
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

Congats on a truly exceptional and groundbreaking frame!

Any chance you could have extra bearing holders made up? I would
definitely buy them for my frames, as the local ti welder I spoke to
thought that would be the hardest part to make.

--
unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ian.stockwell

-I have put threads in the bottom half holders rather than those top
half ones welded to the legs because, say if you strip threads
somehow... (which is very hard to do with titanium compared to
aluminium) then you wouldn't be totally screwed as you can just replace
the bottom half holders. So this frame is therefore totally threadless,
but incorporates a KH-style bearing holder system, (only reverse).-

Am I missing something here, or just being stupid, but what I see in
the photos is the thread in the top half holders, welded to the frame
and the opposite of what you are saying.

--
ian.stockwell

A chocolate unicycle tastes great but is a bugger to ride.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
isaac steiner

those are amzing frames! I love em

--
isaac steiner

*'Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/y6mftb)*

'*Quax*' (http://www.qu-ax.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 13th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

ian.stockwell wrote:
-I have put threads in the bottom half holders rather than those top
half ones welded to the legs because, say if you strip threads
somehow... (which is very hard to do with titanium compared to
aluminium) then you wouldn't be totally screwed as you can just replace
the bottom half holders. So this frame is therefore totally threadless,
but incorporates a KH-style bearing holder system, (only reverse).-

Am I missing something here, or just being stupid, but what I see in
the photos is the thread in the top half holders, welded to the frame
and the opposite of what you are saying.

Mmm, good point actually. That is actually quite bizarre, as I
specifically designed and requested for the threads to be in the bottom
halves. I haven't got the frames with me right now, so I'll have to
check properly later. No big deal anyway. Titanium threads are more
than strong enough, considering no one really even strips the alu
threads on KH frames.

I'll talk to Dmitry about this, to see what's happened, as I said, no
big deal really.