Trials Discussion Thread

Old September 19th 07, 04:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TrialsUni

Default Trials Discussion Thread

How about some trials pics?

It's hard to guage just how high the hop is, but it's about 3 feet.

(I'm posting this for any beginners wondering what the apex of a good
side-hop looks like. This is an example of good tucking).

|Filename: 100_0915.jpg |

TrialsUni
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 19th 07, 04:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TrialsUni

When I get into bigger (pre-hop) SIF hops I like to keep my seat away
from my head and body. I've bumped my seat into my chin before, as
well as my collar bone, chest, etc. Not the most fun. Keeping the
seat away from me on the bigger hops helps me to angle my unicycle
better, if I need to tilt my unicycle to get an extra cm or so.

|Filename: 2.jpg |

TrialsUni
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 19th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
sp4rky-m4rky

What do you people do to combat the rubbing on the front/inside of your
leg from were the back of the seat rubs when ever you hop or jump? I
wear cyling shorts but they dont quite go down that far and I normaly
wear cut off jeans but it still rubs realy bad.

--
sp4rky-m4rky

you may be lucky but you make your own luck

*)--360--O* The Unispin Elite

)---'O, Crankflip
my 'videos' (http://www.youtube.com/user/c011in9s)
learning 180 or 360 unispins? watch my 'video tutorial'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=gFCHDO1umlM)
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 19th 07, 04:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendan

sp4rky-m4rky wrote:
Moving on from the argument.....

What do you people do to combat the rubbing on the front/inside of your
leg from were the back of the seat rubs when ever you hop or jump? I
wear cyling shorts but they dont quite go down that far and I normaly
wear cut off jeans but it still rubs realy bad.

that only seems to bother me after very long rides... it used to alot i
guess i've gotten used to it. My shorts tend to wear down in that area
though.

--
brendan

[10:10] Amanda: can i have big boobs?
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 19th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
TrialsUni

I wear board shorts, or dickies black pants. When you ride SIF you
don't want to have the back of the seat pressing on your pants. You do
have it close, but try not to have the back of the seat pushing into
your legs.

The more you practice, the better you get at it. And your legs get
used to it, the more you ride SIF. One way to practice is what I call
the "Baldwin Squats." To warm up for a trials ride, I take my seat out
in front of me, and squat with my unicycle, trying to get down really
far while pushing my seat way out in front of me. Then, I ride 100 or
so feat seat out, all the while trying to relax my arm and legs into
letting me put the seat really far out in front of me, and I also squat
down and ride the last half of that 100 feet in this way. It should
get to the point, in your riding, that you don't consciously 'feel'
your arm holding on to the seat. You'll be more focused on what you're
riding, what you're doing, your lines.

It's the same with hopping. The first time I tried hopping, my fingers
hurt the next day from holding on to the seat. The pain didn't go away
until I let things heal, and take hopping one step at a time, until my
body was used to it. Now, even wearing gloves, I have callouses on my
fingers in the joint areas, where I hold onto my seat.

Hope that helps.

--
TrialsUni
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 19th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wickedbob

Yeah I love trials. Tis' why I started you know. I am not very good yet,
but that comes with time. I have that problem with my shorts wearing
out and the better at sif you get the less it happens/not as bad.

What is you dream trials unicycle? What crankset do you prefer? I got
moment 150's for the trials I am building up.

--
wickedbob

R.I.P JOHNNY HART[/b]
[b]R.I.P MITCH HEDBERG

harper wrote:
Maybe the police used a lower than usual voltage. They might have had
their TASERs set on "annoy" rather than "stun." No one has reported on
this important detail. Why are details like this omitted?

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 19th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maximus unius

TrialsUni wrote:
How about some trials pics?

It's hard to guage just how high the hop is, but it's about 3 feet.

(I'm posting this for any beginners wondering what the apex of a good
side-hop looks like. This is an example of good tucking).

Good tucking. But a good hop will not come from just tucking the uni
all the way to your butt.For example, I can tuck all the way to my
butt, but my heigest hop is around 28". You have to learn a few things
to work with your tuck to get your maximum hop height. 1) tuck with
your legs, don't bring your upper body down 2)time the tuck with the
compression 3) stand up immidiately after landing on the obeject, if
you stay tucked you will lose balance pretty easily.

an accomplishment for me? about a week ago (a little over 1 year of
trials riding for me) I landed a 27" up static no-prehop. I figure
after a couple of rides learning effective prehops i should be able to
manage around 30".

and finally, how many people are running 150's on their trials set up?
I have a DX hub, and the 125's are way to short. I've got 150's from my
muni on there right now as an experiement, and i think I'm gonna order
a set for my trials uni too.

--
maximus unius

dunawan wrote:
usually always

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 19th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

I run 145mm profiles which are actually 147s. I love the length, it
gives great control for rails.

If I really try, I can turn and hit my pedal on the cement. It isn't a
problem.

--
Danni

leo wrote:
Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

'My Trials Course'
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 19th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wickedbob

Well profiles are really close to 150's only 5mm off. 150's seem like a
good length for all trials riding. I shall talk about it when I get
mine all built up. It would be if it wasn't for those damn defective kh
hubs. I really hope I can get a replacement.

--
wickedbob

R.I.P JOHNNY HART[/b]
[b]R.I.P MITCH HEDBERG

Old September 19th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

wickedbob wrote:
Well profiles are really close to 150's only 5mm off. 150's seem like a
good length for all trials riding. I shall talk about it when I get
mine all built up. It would be if it wasn't for those damn defective kh
hubs. I really hope I can get a replacement.

Crank length can only help you minimally, unless it is something
ridiculous like 125s. Technique is much more important.
Ryan Atkins runs 137s and does some of the nuttiest rail gaps fine.

--
Danni