29" Discussion thread

Old September 27th 07, 08:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

Default 29" Discussion thread

I have a variety of unicycles. I find the 29 is the most versatile. I do
distance and some light cross country.

My favourite unicycle is the N36 - it just feels so goood to ride. But
I like my 29s for anything hilly, anything off road and anything more
urban (lots of pavements). If I'm going somewhere new and don't know
what the riding will be like, for preference I will take the 29. I have
much more control over it than the 36er and there's far less distance
to fall when I come flying off, hands first.

--
cathwood

Cathy
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 27th 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Municycler

I just want to know what the difference is when riding a 29" compared to
a 36". Like speeds and fun factor. I am small and considering buying a
29".

Thanks.

--
Municycler

'My 24\" unispin.' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=hM8VJWqSMd8)

'My lil trials video.' (http://youtube.com/watch?v=qXZSV5RhkTQ)

ONE WHEEL FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 27th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

Municycler wrote:
I just want to know what the difference is when riding a 29" compared to
a 36". Like speeds and fun factor. I am small and considering buying a
29".

Thanks.

To me it is kind of like the difference between driving a rolls royce
(the 36") and driving something like a pergeot 205 (the 29"). The 36"
is pure quality to ride and every time I ride it I want to just ride it
more and more. The 29er is nippy and fun (and not so high off the
ground to fall off) and more versatile.

There is a current thread related to 29er speeds on a different part of
this forum but to me it's a difference between averaging at 8 mph
(29er) and 10 mph (36") - I'm not a fast rider.

I have ridden 30 miles in one ride on my 36" and about 10 on my 29er.

Oh and finally, I think they are not mutually exclusive - get the 29er
first and learn about riding on a big wheel and get the 36" when you've
had a bit of practice and are ready to really go distances.

These are my thoughts but other people have other opinions.

--
cathwood

Cathy
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 27th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CrazyChrisVT

On a scale of 1-5, I'd say a 5!!! I love riding my 29" Sun (or is it
28"? whatever). It literally rides itself. People scoff when I claim
that it rides itself, but it's true! I just sit on top! It is like
gliding through a vat of buttery smooth goodness. I've got 150 cranks
on it now, but I think it is better with 127s. I don't think I'd like
cranks shorter than 127, it gets a little twitchy as it is.

Anyway it is a total P.O.S. unicycle compared to, say, a KH29, but it
has been super reliable and trouble free (but I don't do any drops with
it, just a hop or two ). I'd have to say it was the best $100 that
I've ever spent.

I also have a 24" with a fat tire and the difference between that and
the 29 is really remarkable. I'd hesitate to ride the 24 for any
distance (I use it mainly for winter in-door gym riding), but the 29 is
perfect for just about any distance (3 mile rides are nothing, piece of
cake). The most I've ridden is about 15 miles, which is nothing
compared to the gladiators on this forum.

--
CrazyChrisVT
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 27th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mouse

I rode a nimbus II 29" for the first 4 months of my unicycling habit and
took it on a 2 day 100 mile ride in Indiana called the Hilly Hundred.
Then I tore it down and rebuilt it into this thing:

http://silentaftermath.com/guys.jpg
http://silentaftermath.com/guy1.jpg

Shortly after that I sold it to a friend and purchased a 36er. I still
like that cycle and it was good for light muni and great on the road.

--
mouse

Originally Posted by johnfoss
Yes, being old makes you stupid.

Originally Posted by jerrick
I think we should get off the topic off kinky/horny girls and
unicycles, and back to creepy horny men.

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 28th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

I use my Yuni 29" with Big Apple tire mostly for street riding around
the neighborhood. I do not ride on busy roads. Sometimes I ride it in
town but stay mostly on the sidewalks. It originally had 125mm cranks
but I changed to 150mm cranks for better control getting over rough
sidewalks and up/down driveways.

I use a 26" with 170mm cranks for off-road (MUni) riding.

I am not a real strong rider ( ) so these cranks work well for me.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 29th 07, 12:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
abridged

I have a Nimbus 29er and it's my second unicycle (the other has a 24
inch wheel). The 29er is definately my favorite of the two. I ride
distances on roads almost exclusively. Started off with 127 mm cranks,
and switched to 114 mm cranks about 5 months ago. The shorter cranks
made such a big difference that now, I'm debating on getting either 89s
or 102s. I usually ride 5 miles at a time. My longest ride was a
little over 30 miles. My Garmin GPS indicates I average a little over
8 MPH on my rides and can easily get over 12 mph if the road surface is
good. Mounting is pretty easy and I love the fact that I'm not so high
up in case of a UPD.

I've considered getting a 36er, and even bought parts to start making
one. But I've been thoroughly disappointed in the wheel production
problems, tire selection issues, expense, etc. Maybe one day I'll get
the glamorous new Coker when it comes out, but for now the 29er makes
for truly a great ride and I can throw it into the car without any
hassles. I rate it a 5 out of 5. Maybe after I put even shorter
cranks on it, I'll rate it a 6 out of 5.

There's plenty for me left to master on my 29er. I want to get better
at hopping (can only manage an inch or so), riding up curbs, leaning
more on the turns, riding with SIF, wheel walking, etc. In many ways,
it's still more unicycle that I can handle. It's a great mode of
transportation.

--
abridged
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 29th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rubix

I had a 36er for about three weeks. I liked it ok, but it took some
Oomph to get her going and stopped. The 29er I got in trade for it is,
to me, better. It is lighter, easier to manuveur, and easy to start and
stop. Not to mention, on the 36er, I had to do a rolling mount to get
on it. Free mounting it takes it out of ya if you miss two or three
times. My 29er I can free mount as well as my 24". My 24, all two of
them, now are collecting dust. I much prefer to take the 29er out in
whatever I'm doing over the 24. I'd give it a 5 of 5. Once i get my
handle on it, it will be that much better!

--
Rubix

Unicycle
Not just for clowns anymore!
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 29th 07, 04:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
anton005

I use my Kh29/Big Apple 2.3 for mostly road riding right now. I
recently switched from 150's to 125's and am just not very comfortable
with the 125's. I live in a very hilly area and am a large man so the
150's seem to be the perfect compramise between speed and torque. At
this time I like the 29er more than my 24 Muni, but I think thats
mostly because I can 29er right out the front door vs the 24Muni I have
to drive somewhere and am not real sure where to go right now.

--
anton005
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 29th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mboulanger

KH 29er here. It was my only uni for the last two years until I was
reunited this fall with the Torker LX I learned on. The difference is
staggering. Smooth, smooth and plenty of torque for any hill on or off
road I care to climb. Once you get used to the bigger wheel I find it
just fine for twitching around tight corners and such as well. I give
it a five.

--
mboulanger

"Lot's of things in books is just garbage." -feel the light
http://www.usenet.com