29" Discussion thread

Old September 30th 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
legtod2

Default 29" Discussion thread

Hearing so many great things about Darren Bedford, I have decided to
spend the extra money to buy a quality Unicycle.

Unfortunately, I can't afford a KH 29er, but I can afford a bedford
29er.

I'll be using this for long distance/touring riding, maybe some muni
too.

I'd like to get a handle but not sure what to get.

Also I'd like to get knobby tire, not street so I can ride the trails.

Interested in hearing from others there recommendation.

--
legtod2
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 30th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

legtod2 wrote:

I'd like to get a handle but not sure what to get.

The T7 is just great, on so many levels. It's excellent value for
money, really comfortable, looks good, and has the ability to mount
lights, cycle computer, water bottles, etc. I've got one on my 29"
Schlumpf, and it's fantastic.

legtod2 wrote:

Also I'd like to get knobby tire, not street so I can ride the trails.

It's probably worth having a search for other opinions, but I tried the
Kenda Klaw, and didn't get on with it at all. I've now got the Nano
Raptor for off road stuff, and that's great. Most of my riding is done
on the road with a 2" Big Apple though.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 30th 07, 06:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

Even After I built up a 29", I primarily used my Nimbus 36 for street
and smooth paths, and a Nimbus 24 Muni for off road. The 29" is just
too large for me on hilly trails. So put a 24" wheel on my KH29 frame,
now I love it.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken ... I say it's a great exercise. They say it's a mid-life thing.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 30th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
legtod2

Forgot to ask in my original post of this thread...
Please post picture of your 29er.

Thanks,

--
legtod2
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 1st 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

Here is a picture of my KH MUNI, 29" frame with a 24x3" wheel.

|Filename: khunijpg.jpg |

Old October 1st 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
underdog

I have a homemade 29er that is my usual first-choice uni. I do distance
riding and general around town with it.

Here it is with 125 cranks. I've currently got it set up with 150s
just for a little more confidence.

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/att...&d=1129767789]

When I'm trying to learn new skills or get better at old ones, I
usually grab my DX24. It's just more manueverable.

I'm still just not as comfortable with my N36 so I habitually grab my
29er most of the time.

--
underdog

'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 1st 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

Municycler wrote:
I just want to know what the difference is when riding a 29" compared to
a 36". Like speeds and fun factor. I am small and considering buying a
29".

Thanks.

If you plan to ride mostly level roads, the 36er is definitely the
best. As the terrain tends toward very steep and/or very rough,
smaller wheels tend to be more preferable.

Both sizes can be fun for certain types of riding. I like the 29er for
XC MUni and big climbs, but I prefer the 36er for covering longer
distances.

--
phlegm
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 2nd 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
legtod2

Underdog, can you elaborate on homemade?

Is is built from scratch or a collection of parts from other uni's ?

--
legtod2
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 2nd 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
underdog

legtod2 wrote:
Underdog, can you elaborate on homemade?

Is is built from scratch or a collection of parts from other uni's ?

I bought the KH29 rim and UDC wide hub from UDC and built the wheel
myself. It was my first wheelbuild and I got a lot of help from the
web. The frame was from scratch. 300 series stainless steel tubing
press fit into an anodized aluminum fork crown that I machined myself.
Bearing holders are industrial shaft collars that I machined out to fit
the bearings. I had a buddy who's a certified welder weld the bearing
holders on to the fork legs. Seat post, seat and cranks purchased from
UDC. Big Apple tire. The thing rides great. It's about 17 pounds if
memory serves me right.

Old October 3rd 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
legtod2

What have people added to their 29er ?

T7 bar ?
Rail adapter and seat post ?