Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

Old February 9th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wobblyjohn

Default Unicycle articles (but wait there's more...)

http://tinyurl.com/33bzmf

--
wobblyjohn
wobblyjohn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11060

Old February 14th 07, 03:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JJuggle

Article in Newsweek by 'John Drummond' (http://tinyurl.com/25ty9q)

--
JJuggle

Raphael Lasar - Matawan, NJ
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old February 26th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JJuggle

NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS - SOUTHWEST TIGARD
Metro Southwest Neighbors: Tigard
C.J. Gifford Dianna Weston Susan Morelli Ginger Moshofsky Kathryn
Lattanzio Rowe Rebecca Luedloff
Special to The Oregonian
1531 Words
The Oregonian
English
© 2007 Oregonian Publishing Company. Provided by ProQuest Information
and Learning. All rights reserved.

TIGARD / COOK PARK

Unicyclist looks ahead,

but never back or down

For Cook Park neighbor Bill Ervin, there's only one way to get around,
and that's on one wheel.

For 25 years, Ervin's transportation of choice has been a unicycle. As
a teen, Ervin was inspired by an apple-eating juggler on the "Merv
Griffin Show." Already familiar with apple eating, Ervin taught himself
to juggle. Then, he says, "I thought, why not unicycle?"

He made the next step logical enough for his mother to buy him a
24-inch unicycle. "I just fell flat on my face and flat on my back
until I could ride it," Ervin says.

After two months of bruising, Ervin hasn't looked back. "You can't look
back --or down," he says from atop a new 36-inch commuter model. "You
just look straight ahead and get back up when you fall off."

Unicycles don't chain up well, and winter weather has left Ervin little
chance to practice on the newer, taller model. Dismounts can be
dangerous. He points to his well-padded elbows and knees and says,
"Don't ride it if you can't run."

Ervin's goal is to ride to and from Metzger Elementary School, where
he's a special education instructor's assistant. He once rode his old
24-inch model, but "it took me an hour each direction and almost killed
me," he says.

The kids at the school loved it, but it's taken his children longer to
come around. Lauren, 14, rolls her eyes as Dad rolls by, but Gabe, 11,
finally has uttered those three little words every apple-eating,
juggling, unicycle-riding father wants to hear: "Teach me, Dad."

--
JJuggle

Raphael Lasar - Matawan, NJ

History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men . . .
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old March 6th 07, 03:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JJuggle

NORTHERN ILLINOIS U. UNICYCLIST IS ONE SINGULAR SENSATION
516 Words
U-Wire
English
(c) 2007 U-Wire. All Rights Reserved.

U-WIRE-03/05/2007-Northern Illinois U.: Northern Illinois U. unicyclist
is one singular sensation (C) 2007 Northern Star Via U-WIRE

By Derek Walker, Northern Star (Northern Illinois U.)

DEKALB, Ill. -- One is the loneliest number to many people, but not to

Derek "The Unicycle Guy" Weider. Since his arrival on the Southern
Illinois University-Carbondale campus last September, Weider has gained
publicity and popularity for his unique choice of transportation: The
unicycle. But why one wheel, and not two?

"[Unicycles] are a lot more fun to ride," Weider said. "And, you have a
lot more control with a unicycle than a bike."

Easily identified by his gigantic hair and constant smile, Weider
rolled onto campus and into the hearts of those around him. Fellow
students have taken notice of Weider's special talent -- many trying
it

themselves.

"He's talented and he's got guts. I tried the unicycle thing once, and
I can't do it," said Gilbert Lloyd, a freshman computer science major.

Weider has even taken it upon himself to teach his skills to the
students on his floor in Grant Tower B. For anyone interested in
picking up the crafty hobby, Weider has some advice.

"Just keep trying; you're not going to pick it up very fast," Weider
said. "I think riding a unicycle has more of a learning curve than
riding a bike."

Though he has overcome the obstacle of learning how to ride the
unicycle, Weider is faced with another: the weather. With winter still
in full effect and snow still on the ground, several students have
shown concern for his reckless abandon in the frigid temperatures.

"I've seen him riding around in the winter, and I get a little scared
for the guy because of the ice," said Patrick Rozum, a junior business
administration major.

Weider admits he will continue to ride despite what the calendar
reads.

He also admits that, aside from people honking their horns at him every
now and then, the feedback has been mostly positive.

Such a distinguishable talent has led to comparisons to another campus
celebrity: Bike Man. Known for his eccentric tweaking of an everyday
bicycle, including the application of rims and a boom box, Chris "Bike
Man" Daniels graduated this past December, leaving the status of
"campus celebrity student" up for grabs. Weider, however, has no plans
on picking up where Daniels left off.

"I don't want to be intruding on Bike Man's ride," Weider said. "I
don't want to encroach on his territory."

Even though there are no red-laser rims or stereo speakers in his
future, Weider admits that the comparisons are inevitable. Still, he
takes it all in stride, even if his motives aren't based on celebrity.

"Part of the reason I'm doing it is to see everybody's looks and
stuff," Weider said. "The main reason I'm doing it is because it's so
much fun."

Old March 6th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

Hey, I went to Southern Illinois University, Wish I had kept up with
unicycling those days, that has to be great place to unicycle.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken ... a recreational unicyclist... Please wear a helmet!
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

Old March 15th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JJuggle

GROUP'S HIGH FUNDRAISING HOPE
245 Words
Bath Chronicle
English
(c) 2007 Bath Newspapers Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

The wheels have been put in motion for the latest fundraising event by
the Bath Stilt and Unicycle Maniacs.

The Weston group, which is due to celebrate its first anniversary next
month, is hoping to raise £200 to cover rental costs at the Centre 69
Youth Centre where it holds its meetings.

Members are holding a table-top sale at the centre on Sunday, March 25,
from 11.30am. Everything from musical instruments to clothes and
jewellery will be for sale.

Organiser and founding member Pauline Paradise said she originally
financed the group herself, but to continue for another year funds
needed to be raised.

Members range in age from eight to 71 - the age of Mrs Paradise's
partner Clive Gray, who is believed to be the oldest stilt walker in
the UK.

The Bath Stilt and Unicycle Maniacs charge £25 for seven sessions of
tuition in both unicycling and stilt walking.

They regularly appear at public events and over the past year have
performed at Bristol Streets Alive and the Keynsham Walk About.

Mrs Paradise said some of the group's younger members used unicycles
for transport.

She said: "Some of the youngsters pick it up quite quickly but it is a
case of balance."

The Centre 69 Youth Centre is based on Penn Hill Road.

The cost of hiring a table for the sale is £5 and light refreshments
will be available.

For more information ring 335745.

--
JJuggle

Raphael Lasar - Matawan, NJ

'9th Annual LBI Unithon' (http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon) -
Saturday, June 2, 2007
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old March 21st 07, 04:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkplonker

http://tinyurl.com/38f3kj

--
pkplonker

I WILL DO FOOLISH THINGS AND I WILL DO THEM WITH ENTHUSIASM, I WILL HURT
MY SELF AND I WILL NOT CARE AND I WILL DO IT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~''~ Unicycle for the Flying Spaghetti Monster ~''~
pkplonker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13484

Old March 21st 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unicycle6869

pkplonker wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/38f3kj

Here is that article for when that link goes dead:

Paperboy Stuart masters his balancing act
By Matt Jackson
Comment

Stuart Heath is off on his rounds on his unicycle
Buy this photo
PEOPLE living in Eldene are now getting used to the sight of paperboy
Stuart Heath bobbing at their letterboxes.

After several months' practice the 15-year-old has mastered the art of
delivering a paper while still perched on his unicycle.

Stuart, a Dorcan College student from Liden, picked up the hobby from
his friend and has adapted it to make his job easier.

"I only started using the unicycle in September, but it's not that
complicated a skill," he said.

"My friend was into it and I picked it up from him.

"I have got two cycles that I use for the round, which I do every day
of the week."

Stuart started his paper round 18 months ago and relied on a mountain
bike to get him around.

But the size of it meant he had to dismount every time he wanted to
deliver a newspaper.

"I thought it would be a lot easier if I could use my unicycle because
you don't need to get off to put the paper through into the box," he
said.

"After a few goes I got the hang of it and I can now do every house on
the round bar a few."

The unusual sight has prompted several comments from residents and
passers-by.

"A common one is where's your other wheel gone?'," he said.

"Most people seem to think it's funny but there are a few who think I'm
being stupid.

"But if I can finish the round quicker then what is the harm?"

Whether by luck or design Stuart's cycling delivery system has kept him
away from dogs on his round, and the only problem is the weight of
weekend supplements.

He said: "I have to go back to my mountain bike on Saturday and Sunday
because the weight tips me off balance.

"You can lean to compensate with the smaller papers but the weekend is
too heavy."

When he is not doing his paper round Stuart puts his unicycle to good
use, taking it on trials' around Swindon.

He said: "I use it in the town and in the country as you would do a
mountain bike.

"We jump from things and go down hills, but you fall off quite often."

And despite his unicycle capers Stuart has no urge to join the circus.

"We don't think of unicycles as being circus items, and I don't juggle
or do the trapeze," he said.

6:48pm Tuesday 20th March 2007

--
unicycle6869

Jamey (formaly tuna6869)

Which is worse, a president who screws an intern, or a president who
screws the country?

I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day!"~Frank
Sinatra
unicycle6869's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8990

Old March 24th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JJuggle

'*Fairmont Unicyclists Back On Track*' (http://tinyurl.com/36uh57)
Posted Thursday, March 22, 2007 ; 05:31 PM
Updated Thursday, March 22, 2007 ; 06:49 PM

Watch Story Video:Click link above
Family legacy prompts the beginning of a unicycle club once again.

Story by Sarah Kapis Email

FAIRMONT- -- In the Crandall family, riding a unicycle is what they
do.

"My grandfather used to have a club back in the mid 1970s," said Daniel
Crandall, unicycle enthusiast.

Since then, one-wheeling has been a well-traveled tradition. "I've done
reports on my family and unicycling for the past 3 or 4 years and I
keep digging up more and more each year," he said.

His cousin Floyd, holds the world record for the fastest 100 meter
ride. The family even has a unicycle named after them.
They own everything from off-road, to 6-foot, to 10-foot. and perhaps
the scariest of them all, a 13-footer.

"In my experience, the hardest part about riding one of these is
getting started after you get moving, you're good to go," said
Crandall.

Getting started is what Crandall wants to do with his own version of
the Fairmont unicyclists -an organization based on pedaling, patience
and practice.

"At the end of the day, you get to do something that not everyone does,
you get to do something unique," he said.

Crandall is looking for members to join his club. No experience is
necessary. You can contact him at 304-838-0892.

Copyright 2007 West Virginia Media. All rights reserved. This material
may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Saturday, June 2, 2007
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24