What Part of "NO TRESPASSING ALLOWED" Don't Mountain Bikers Understand?!

Old January 4th 05, 02:02 AM
Gwood

Default What Part of "NO TRESPASSING ALLOWED" Don't Mountain Bikers Understand?!

While I oppose Mikey at almost all times, this is one where I have to agree.
So it's (1) private land, (2) there is a trail closure and then clearly
states (3) NO trespassing, riding it just ****es people off and creates bad
feelings against the MTB community.

Congrats and hope it was a great ride - maybe it's the last for folks on
that trail.

- it says in no uncertain terms that the land on both sides of the road

for the "next 4
miles" is private property and there is NO TRESPASSING ALLOWED, it even
makes mention of security cameras. This sign is in addition to the "closed"
signs that were posted in Mid November marking the normal Victor Closure.

Old January 4th 05, 04:37 AM
Mike Vandeman

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:02:35 -0800, "Gwood" wrote:

..While I oppose Mikey at almost all times, this is one where I have to agree.
..So it's (1) private land, (2) there is a trail closure and then clearly
..states (3) NO trespassing, riding it just ****es people off and creates bad
..feelings against the MTB community.
..
..Congrats and hope it was a great ride - maybe it's the last for folks on
..that trail.

I doubt it. NOT ONE other mountain biker said anything against it. But you can't
be blamed, right? You did your part, right? Now you have a clean conscience,
right?????

.. - it says in no uncertain terms that the land on both sides of the road
..for the "next 4
..miles" is private property and there is NO TRESPASSING ALLOWED, it even
..makes mention of security cameras. This sign is in addition to the "closed"
..signs that were posted in Mid November marking the normal Victor Closure.
..

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old January 4th 05, 05:31 AM
BB

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 17:02:35 -0800, Gwood wrote:

So it's (1) private land, (2) there is a trail closure and then clearly
states (3) NO trespassing,

There is a fantastic downhill near where I live that is only sensibly
accessed through private land (going up the trail is a nightmare). The
reasonable/easier path is a fireroad through land owned by a timber
company, and they're doing some serious clearcutting (a trip through there
will assure you that MTBing is meaningless on the "damage" scale). We
called the company, and they gave us a letter listing our names and giving
us permission to ride on weekends (when they're not cutting).

The moral is: don't assume that just because others are there, that all
have permission to ride it. If the rangers stopped us, we had written
authorization. I'm not really sure what happens to those who don't, but
its probably not good. Plus, they have some seriously heavy equipment
there, and it could be dangerous wandering through on working days; the
signs are likely mainly for safety.

As far as the OP goes; it was posted by Vandeman so its most likely
out-of-context misinformation; that's his modus operandi.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old January 4th 05, 11:32 AM
Mr_Kingkillaha

Gwood Wrote:
[...]

I think he made up the whole thing. "Eric C" has very similar typing
patterns to "Mike V".
Why would someone type up something emphasizing everything Mike always
says, while being long-winded and repetetive?
The whole thing smells fishy.

--
Mr_Kingkillaha

Old January 4th 05, 05:38 PM
Chris Glidden

"Mike Vandeman" wrote
I doubt it. NOT ONE other mountain biker said anything against it. But you
can't
be blamed, right? You did your part, right? Now you have a clean
conscience,
right?????

I'll say something against it. Don't ride closed trails or trails on
private land where you do not have permission. Ride only on trails
specifically designated for mountain biking. Everyone I ride with follows
these rules, it's too bad there are a few (very few) bad apples out there.
I guess there are some in every group, kind of like Mike being the bad apple
of environmentalists.

The Effects of Mountain Biking on Wildlife and People -- WhyOff-Road Bicycling Should be Prohibited Pablo Ricardo Mountain Biking 69 July 23rd 04 10:40 AM
Mountain Bikers Are Destroying Colorado! Gary S. Social Issues 10 July 6th 04 01:43 AM
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking BB Mountain Biking 31 July 4th 04 02:35 AM
Mike Vandeman qa2 Mountain Biking 26 November 18th 03 01:16 PM
More Hate Mail from a Typical Mountain Biker Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 11 October 26th 03 06:14 AM