Disk Brakes vs. V Brakes??

Old October 13th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.off-road
Werehatrack

Default Disk Brakes vs. V Brakes??

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:51:03 CST, Tosspot
wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 00:04:56 CST, wrote:

snip

- After playing with the brakes for a few minutes, I noticed that the
discs get noticeably warm, around 170F.

Gosh, you had a contact thermometer available? I'm impressed.

IR Thermometer. Every cyclist should have one.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/digit...hermometer.htm

I have one, actually, but it's a Raytek. I find that for small
surfaces, its utility is limited.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Old October 13th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.off-road
Tosspot

wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 00:04:56 CST, wrote:

snip

- After playing with the brakes for a few minutes, I noticed that the
discs get noticeably warm, around 170F.

Gosh, you had a contact thermometer available? I'm impressed.

IR Thermometer. Every cyclist should have one.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/digit...hermometer.htm

I have one, actually, but it's a Raytek. I find that for small
surfaces, its utility is limited.

shrugs I'm with the previous poster, great gadget, I just can't think
what to use it for.

Now the 83 piece tool kit I just bought, plus an angle grinder, is
asking for one of these

http://www.dutchbikes.nl/bodies_uk/frame_ks2.htm

Old October 13th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.off-road
Scott Gordo

wrote:

Werehatrack wrote:

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 00:04:56 CST, wrote:

snip

- After playing with the brakes for a few minutes, I noticed that the
discs get noticeably warm, around 170F.

Gosh, you had a contact thermometer available? I'm impressed.

IR Thermometer. Every cyclist should have one.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/digit...hermometer.htm

I have one, actually, but it's a Raytek. I find that for small
surfaces, its utility is limited.

shrugs I'm with the previous poster, great gadget, I just can't think
what to use it for.

Now the 83 piece tool kit I just bought, plus an angle grinder, is
asking for one of these

http://www.dutchbikes.nl/bodies_uk/frame_ks2.htm

Wow!

http://www.dutchbikes.nl/bodies_uk/frame_kv4.htm

/s

Old October 17th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.off-road
Alex

wrote:
Hi,

I tried a bike with hydraulic disk brakes (Hayes Sole V6) yesterday
for the first time, and would appreciate your input on my impressions:

- On the first bike I tried, it was not possible to block the wheel
with the disk brake. I checked and found that the disk was oily. On
another bike (same brake) I was able to get the wheel to block, but
with application of extreme force to the brake handle, MUCH more than
required by any V brake I ever tried.

Question: Are Hydraulic Brakes really weaker than V brakes, or was this
bike just assembled by monkeys?

My guess is that monkeys are to blame. I recently rode a couple of
bikes with hydraulic brakes. You should have a very solid feel to the
lever. You should be getting a lot of braking for a light touch on the
lever. I could get plenty fo braking power with just two fingers on
teh brake. I have relatively weak hands, so that says alot about the
braking power. I was very tempted to run with one finger on the brake.

- I noticed that the hydraulic disc brakes have a much 'spongier' feel
than the cable actuated V brakes.

This is a clear indication that something was wrong. Hydraulic brakes
should feel
very solid and hard. Spongy probably means air in the sytem.

This I guess was related to the
hydraulic hose / brake line expanding under pressure, because it was ok
on the front brake (1/2 of the brake lever way until full braking), and
not acceptable no the rear brake (had to pull the brake lever almost up
to the handle bar to get full breaking power)

Air is the most likely culprit, not the hose.

- After playing with the brakes for a few minutes, I noticed that the
discs get noticeably warm, around 170F. Are there ever heating issues
with disc brakes on longer downhill segments? Seems a stupid question,
but they did get quite warm just by playing around on level ground for
about ten minutes.

Brakes are supposed to get hot. That's how they work. They turn
kinetic energy into heat.

So monkeys or Neanderthals are definitely a possibility in that store.
But the bike is on sale, so I might still buy there. Uh. Uh. Uh. I

factor a new rotor and pads into the price discount.

posting problems, or contact the moderators, please see
http://rbor.org/