Ketone Esters

Old September 4th 19, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Ketone Esters

A couple of weeks ago we were talking about Ketone Esters. This is sort of a predigested results of dietary fat.

I had breakfast and because I was heading out on a difficult ride I drank a bottle of that stuff cut 50/50 with tap water.

It has a taste reminiscent of fingernail polish. And that taste sticks with you.

It didn't seem to do anything. I really dragged my butt up the 1,000 foot climb with 9-12% sections but I made it.

It costs a small fortune so it hardly seems to be worth even talking about.

Yesterday I had forgotten to go to the store and had nothing for breakfast before another hard ride so on an empty stomach I drank that stuff again. This time before I left I brushed my teeth and used Listerine mouthwash. That reduced the taste to merely unpleasant.

I rode out to the target 19 miles and 1600 feet of climbing away and I didn't bonk which I would have expected to do what with no breakfast. At the coffee shop I had a roll and a coffee and came back. At the end of the ride I was not exceptionally tired and had a rather fast recovery.

So perhaps this stuff is worth you giving a try if you're a sports rider. It did appear to work far better on an empty stomach than after having eaten.. And brushing the teeth and using mouthwash DEFINITELY was the way to go.
Old September 4th 19, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/4/2019 3:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all
means do it more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment
about cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat
actual food." Works for me too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 4th 19, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 1:40:40 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
A couple of weeks ago we were talking about Ketone Esters. This is sort of a predigested results of dietary fat.

I had breakfast and because I was heading out on a difficult ride I drank a bottle of that stuff cut 50/50 with tap water.

It has a taste reminiscent of fingernail polish. And that taste sticks with you.

It didn't seem to do anything. I really dragged my butt up the 1,000 foot climb with 9-12% sections but I made it.

My commute home over the hills is 1,200 feet of climbing, and I don't do anything special except pee before leaving work. I try not to carry a ream of paper in my backpack. And 9-12%? Pfff. Try 22%. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng9ERBZA47w And that just gets you up to the climb, which gets you to the next climb up 16th https://tinyurl.com/y29sd3sz (spin around and look down), and then you have to climb SW Hawthorne https://tinyurl.com/y4b6qfx7 and then up to Fairmount and then up to Council Crest if I want some views on the way home. https://tinyurl.com/yyel9mbn

It costs a small fortune so it hardly seems to be worth even talking about.

Old September 4th 19, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:

I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all means do it
more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment about
cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat actual food." Works
for me too.

I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie was hot.
Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't though. I was
regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.

--
JS
Old September 5th 19, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:

I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all means do it
more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment about
cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat actual food." Works
for me too.

I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie was hot.
Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't though. I was
regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.

During one long ride where I was starting to bonk, the combination of a
Cornish pastie and a half litre of chocolate milk was damn near miraculous,
so maybe there’s an optimum amount of meat.

Old September 5th 19, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/4/2019 4:42 PM, James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:

I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by
all means do it more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT
comment about cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I
just eat actual food." Works for me too.

I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie
was hot. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't
though. I was regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.

It's a good story though!

At 85 miles into a sunny but windy 40F late September
century, my friend and I were just out of everything and
stopped to eat some field corn (dairy cow maize, not sweet
corn). The effect was miraculous and within minutes we were
back riding.

Old September 5th 19, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

AMuzi writes:

On 9/4/2019 4:42 PM, James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:

I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by
all means do it more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT
comment about cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I
just eat actual food." Works for me too.

I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie
was hot. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't
though. I was regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.

It's a good story though!

At 85 miles into a sunny but windy 40F late September century, my
friend and I were just out of everything and stopped to eat some field
corn (dairy cow maize, not sweet corn). The effect was miraculous and
within minutes we were back riding.

Raw? No sorghum or onions available? Did you eat the stalk and leaves,
silage-style?

I have sampled roadside apples and concord grapes, both quite
uncultivated, and rode away refreshed.

Old September 5th 19, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 5:25:24 PM UTC-7, Radey Shouman wrote:
AMuzi writes:

On 9/4/2019 4:42 PM, James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

You could break your teeth on field corn. It's what Joerg uses to bang on his fence nail to repair his chain.

The opportunistic food of choice around here is blackberries. https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8388/2...24b3da59_z.jpg

I've got to go pick some before the season is over. A lot of my favorite bushes were looking pretty lousy this year, maybe because of the dry summer. You can also find fruit trees of various types -- a lot of mystery apples. I should have trapped the chicken that chased me a few weeks ago and eaten that! Show that chicken who is an apex predator!

We also have these things called stores where you can buy God's perfect energy food: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...g?v=1559954199

Mmmmm, donettes.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 5th 19, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/4/2019 7:25 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
AMuzi writes:

On 9/4/2019 4:42 PM, James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Just the hard school-bus-yellow raw kernels.

I have also pilfered an apple occasionally[1] but more from
curiosity (always pleasantly surprised!) than desperation.

[1]A Milwaukee Journal photographer snapped me riding no
hands in mid-bite near an orchard and it was printed. Ouch.