Cycle Commute from Kilburn to Canary Wharf

Old January 14th 04, 04:22 PM
Steve Nelson

Default Cycle Commute from Kilburn to Canary Wharf

Greetings,

I am planning to cycle to and from work - from North Kilburn to Canary
Wharf.

I have searched google groups for suggestions on possible routes, and
have so far gathered:

1) Its a good idea to cross south from the Isle of Dogs and then
re-cross the river around Tower-Bridge.

2) Canal paths may be a mixed blessing - not direct, may be busy with
commuters and sometimes run out of path.

I've also looked at an A-Z, and the route across the south of the
river seems fairly straightforward (although specific guidance would
be helpful).

I used to cycle from Fitrovia, so know the route from there, if this
is of use.

What suggestions would people offer as I begin to plan my route?

My bike is a fast audax bike, built for roads and speed.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Old January 14th 04, 05:00 PM
Pete Biggs

Steve Nelson wrote:
I am planning to cycle to and from work - from North Kilburn to Canary
Wharf.

I have searched google groups for suggestions on possible routes, and
have so far gathered:

1) Its a good idea to cross south from the Isle of Dogs and then
re-cross the river around Tower-Bridge.

Rotherhythe tunnel is not pleasant and climb at ends (with traffic backed
up behind you) can be quite a leg sapper when not feeling fresh.

2) Canal paths may be a mixed blessing - not direct, may be busy with
commuters and sometimes run out of path.

I haven't used them extensively enough to comment properly but I would
expect them to be slower than using the roads unless you can find
particularly nifty short cuts.

I've also looked at an A-Z, and the route across the south of the
river seems fairly straightforward (although specific guidance would
be helpful).

Maps from the London Cycling Campaign should help.

Lime House Link Tunnel from east-a-bit-of Tower Bridge area (north side)
can be a wonderfully fast way to warp to/from docklands (especially with
tail wind) - but cycles are banned. Lane widths and gradients aren't too
bad though; don't know what the chances of getting nicked are.

~PB

Old January 14th 04, 05:02 PM
Dave Larrington

Steve Nelson wrote:

I am planning to cycle to and from work - from North Kilburn to Canary
Wharf.

I have searched google groups for suggestions on possible routes, and
have so far gathered:

1) Its a good idea to cross south from the Isle of Dogs and then
re-cross the river around Tower-Bridge.

Seems like quite a long way round, plus you would have to get off and walk
through the tunnel, which would be a big pile of pants if you favour road
shoes with sticky-out cleats...

2) Canal paths may be a mixed blessing - not direct, may be busy with
commuters and sometimes run out of path.

And pretty rough in some places.

I've also looked at an A-Z, and the route across the south of the
river seems fairly straightforward (although specific guidance would
be helpful).

Personally I'd go something like Edgware Road,
Marleybone/Euston/Pentonville/City Road to the Old St roundabout,
Shoreditch, Commercial St down to Whitechapel and then follow the A13 down
to Docklands. I've used most of these on various commutes in the past and
none was too stressful.

HTH.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old January 14th 04, 05:31 PM
Pete Biggs

Dave Larrington wrote:

1) Its a good idea to cross south from the Isle of Dogs and then
re-cross the river around Tower-Bridge.

Seems like quite a long way round, plus you would have to get off and
walk through the tunnel

Don't have to walk though Rotherhithe Tunnel [spelt right this time].
On-road cycling is possible and allowed - just not very good.

, which would be a big pile of pants if you
favour road shoes with sticky-out cleats...

It is through Greenwich or Woolwich foot tunnels - especially when lifts
aren't operational. The steps are a bad enough even without without
sticky-out cleats. Covers are absolutely essential there for Look cleats.

~PB

Old January 14th 04, 08:05 PM
Frank X

"Steve Nelson" wrote in message
m...
Greetings,

I am planning to cycle to and from work - from North Kilburn to Canary
Wharf.

I have searched google groups for suggestions on possible routes, and
have so far gathered:

1) Its a good idea to cross south from the Isle of Dogs and then
re-cross the river around Tower-Bridge.

No Cable Street is fine

Old January 14th 04, 08:07 PM
Frank X

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message
It is through Greenwich or Woolwich foot tunnels - especially when lifts
aren't operational. The steps are a bad enough even without without
sticky-out cleats. Covers are absolutely essential there for Look cleats.

The Greenwich tunnel was fine, I used to do it every day. The steps were
fine, it was the bloody hill up the side of Greenwich park that killed me.

~PB

Old January 15th 04, 03:06 AM
Steve Nelson

"Dave Larrington" wrote:

Seems like quite a long way round, plus you would have to get off and walk
through the tunnel, which would be a big pile of pants if you favour road
shoes with sticky-out cleats...

Yeah, that would be a bad idea - hadn't thought of that. Also
something to consider if we move to Woolwich, as Greenwich foot tunnel
would be needed, I guess.

Personally I'd go something like Edgware Road,
Marleybone/Euston/Pentonville

Hmm - I've cycled along Maryleybone as far as the top of TCR but then
turned right towards Camden. Traffic was busy, but fine if I was
going as fast as or faster than the cars.

City Road to the Old St roundabout.

Never done this - worth investigation.

Shoreditch, Commercial St down to Whitechapel and then follow the A13 down
to Docklands.

Seems sane.

I've used most of these on various commutes in the past and none was

too stressful.

Might give it a trial run on a Sunday to get to know the route.

Thanks.

Steve
Old January 15th 04, 10:38 AM
Dave Larrington

Pete Biggs wrote:

Don't have to walk though Rotherhithe Tunnel [spelt right this time].
On-road cycling is possible and allowed - just not very good.

True, but the OP said "south from the Isle of Dogs", which I took to mean
the Greenwich foot tunnel. The Rotherhithe tunnel can by no stretch of the
imagination be said to go south from the Isle of Dogs.

Woof.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old January 15th 04, 11:27 AM
Pete Biggs

Dave Larrington wrote:

Don't have to walk though Rotherhithe Tunnel [spelt right this time].
On-road cycling is possible and allowed - just not very good.

True, but the OP said "south from the Isle of Dogs", which I took to
mean the Greenwich foot tunnel. The Rotherhithe tunnel can by no
stretch of the imagination be said to go south from the Isle of Dogs.

My imagination obviously stretches a long way.

Woof.

Yap.

~PB

Old January 15th 04, 11:44 AM
james

"Frank X" wrote in message ...
"Steve Nelson" wrote in message
m...
Greetings,

I am planning to cycle to and from work - from North Kilburn to Canary
Wharf.
1) Its a good idea to cross south from the Isle of Dogs and then
re-cross the river around Tower-Bridge.

No Cable Street is fine

Cable street is quite slow and involves an on-pavement contraflow
cycle eastbound plus a very slow contra flow cycle phase on a set of
lights (for which you have to push a button). The cyle lane (which
you have to use in some of the one way sections) gives way to all side
roads. From the OP's description of himself I would suggest
considering the A13 or the A1203. IME the A1203 has higher peak
speeds but more space.

I have never had the bottle to ignore the no-cycling signs on the
limehouse link although a cyclist who can reliably hold 20-25mph for
most of a kilometre including a shallow up gradient shouldn't have
much trouble IMO. You could just follow the A13 then West India Dock
Road or cut through the park by Butcher Row (bridge over tunnel
approach) which delivers you onto Horseferry Road then narrow street.
This is probably not much slower than the main roads.

best wishes
james

FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie UK 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Lane Cove to North Sydney - Suggestions for cycle commute? Dave_H Australia 12 August 21st 03 01:16 PM
Who reckons they have the longest cycle commute? Toby Barrett UK 17 August 8th 03 08:16 PM