Gliding

Old September 21st 03, 07:22 PM
James_Potter

Default Gliding

I've been learning how to wheel walk one footed, and I can probably get
10-20 feet now on average. My driveway is slightly sloped downwards,
too, so I can do little glides in between the wheel walks. But my main
problem is that I can't go from a riding position straight into a
gliding. I've done it a little bit one footed - gliding, but I can't do
it very well. Does anyone have any tips on how to learn this?

P.S. has anyone else noticed that unicycling.org is dead? I'm trying to
check what level I'm on, but I can't. Because it's not working.

--
James_Potter - Order of Merlin, first class

-"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."

--Albus Dumbledore-

Old September 21st 03, 08:52 PM
Rowan

Nice work James, it sounds like you are much better at it than me, since
I hardly ever practise that stuff. I can't give you many tips on
Gliding, but I can help you find old threads on it since there have been
many. If you don't like the search feature on the Forums, you can use
'Google' (http://tinyurl.com/byxr) instead. Bookmark the page for future
use and click "Search only in Rec.Sport.Unicycling" if that is your
preference. Good luck in mastering the seemingly impossible task of
riding a Unicycle with no feet on the pedals!

--
Rowan - •·.·´¯`·.·•
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

Old September 21st 03, 10:00 PM
James_Potter

Thanks, I found a few threads that had useful information about gliding.
I still can't ride into it, but I expect that'll take a few weeks to
pick up.

Old September 22nd 03, 01:19 AM
hole-in-my-shoe

Ride along normally, then as your gliding foot (the one you brake the
tyre with) comes over the top transfer it immediately to the tyre. Your
other foot will still be on the other pedal at this point, but as it
follows round stick it straight on the fork. When you first try this
you'll probably judder to a halt and start one-foot wheel-walking, but
with practise you should be able to go straight into a glide. Enjoy.

--
hole-in-my-shoe
hole-in-my-shoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3661

Old September 22nd 03, 04:21 AM
James_Potter

The problem with that, holeinmyshoe, is that I'm not used to taking my
left foot off first (that's the foot I wheel walk with). I always ride
one footed with my right foot on the frame. So It's really hard. It'll
come with practice, I suppose.

Old September 22nd 03, 05:31 AM
SimonWells

I have my none gliding foot on the fork before the gliding foot is in
place

--
SimonWells - the goods at unicycling
SimonWells's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/772

Old September 22nd 03, 08:18 PM
gingerfreek

hiya,
sounds good so far james. i think i understand your problem with
one-footin with the wrong foot, i would just learn to go straight into
it, forget the one footin stage.

the best way is to lean back really far when you go into it, when i do
it it fells like im catching myself with my foot on the tyre.

hole-in-my-shoe's advice seemed good tho so keep on truckin now, smilin,
wavin your hands!

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507

Old September 22nd 03, 09:07 PM
iunicycle

I got some good advice on practicing going into gliding from riding.
At first I was trying to put the glide foot on the wheel and at the same
time place the do-nothing foot on the frame. That just didn't work.

The advice was to ride one footed, the foot on the frame slightly
dragging on the tire. practice varying the pressure so you can do this.
Eventually practice taking the drive foot off the pedal and placing it
on the frame.

Note this is a quite different technique from gliding in between wheel
walking one foot. In this case the glide foot is away from the frame.

It might be easier to practice the foot on frame technique on a flat
surface.

--
iunicycle - Old back, new cricks
iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869

Old September 22nd 03, 10:44 PM
sabin_a.

If you wan't to learn to get from just riding to gliding, your drive, as
you said is slightly slanted so that will be perfect. Anyway, I learned
puting my gliding foot first and giving the wheel the smallist push then
putting the other foot on the frame. Once you have done that slightly
lean back.

If you don't succed try, try again

Happy gliding -Sabin

--
sabin_a.
sabin_a.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4457

Old September 23rd 03, 01:21 AM
Ken Fuchs

Default www.unicycling.org down; now up! [Was Gliding]

James_Potter wrote:

P.S. has anyone else noticed that unicycling.org is dead? I'm trying to
check what level I'm on, but I can't. Because it's not working.

http://www.unicycling.org/ went down this past weekend, but it was back
up just before 08:00 PDT (11:00 EDT), Monday, 22 Sep 2003.

If http://www.unicycling.org/ ever goes down again, try:

http://web.archive.org/web/200302151...nicycling.org/

This is archive.org's copy of www.unicycling.org made on 15 Feb 2003.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs
unicycling (rsu) mailing list owner & rec.sport.unicycling proponent
?subject=help
http://www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu/