Bike cleaning

Old August 4th 04, 10:03 PM
Frank

Default Bike cleaning

My new road bike looks great, and I want to keep it that way.
If I ride one day in the rain, and the bike gets pretty dirty, whats the
best way to clean it.

Old August 4th 04, 11:54 PM
flyingdutch

Frank Wrote:
My new road bike looks great, and I want to keep it that way.
If I ride one day in the rain, and the bike gets pretty dirty, whats
the
best way to clean it.

There's a few products out there that act as a sealant/prep BEFORE you
go out and get it dirty.
(altho cyclinglaw dictates that rain/dirt means the bike stays inside
until such time as summer prevails1 :-) )

finish line products and try asking youre LBS or better road-orientated
bike shop

--
flyingdutch

Old August 5th 04, 12:32 AM
M2/27

"Frank" wrote in message
My new road bike looks great, and I want to keep it that way.
If I ride one day in the rain, and the bike gets pretty dirty, whats the
best way to clean it.

What an interesting, unusual question! I'm sure this one has never been
asked before. My local Laundromat has a machine big enough for me to stick
my road bike in. Sometimes, they even let me use the industrial dryer.

Old August 5th 04, 12:36 AM
John Tserkezis

Frank wrote:

My new road bike looks great, and I want to keep it that way.
If I ride one day in the rain, and the bike gets pretty dirty, whats the
best way to clean it.

Whatever you do, don't use high pressure water cleaners. It forces water
into all the little nooks and crannies that aren't supposed to get water in
them, and from there, it proceedes to start corroding the innards.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622 http://counter.li.org
Old August 5th 04, 01:20 AM
hippy

Frank Wrote:
My new road bike looks great, and I want to keep it that way.
If I ride one day in the rain, and the bike gets pretty dirty, whats
the best way to clean it.

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/BCB4.shtml
You don't have to use Park tools by the way...

hippy

Old August 5th 04, 02:58 AM
Mike

flyingdutch wrote:

There's a few products out there that act as a sealant/prep BEFORE you
go out and get it dirty.

What on earth does that do? The only porous items might be the saddle
and handlebar grips.

Unless you have one of those new ultra-light cast-sodium frames, a bit
of rain wont hurt. Just bring it inside to dry afterwards, and brush
off the sand when its dry. This is a road-bike, right? How dirty are
your roads?
Old August 5th 04, 08:25 AM
Richard Sherratt

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 08:54:59 +1000, flyingdutch
wrote:

Frank Wrote:
My new road bike looks great, and I want to keep it that way.
If I ride one day in the rain, and the bike gets pretty dirty, whats
the
best way to clean it.

There's a few products out there that act as a sealant/prep BEFORE you
go out and get it dirty.
(altho cyclinglaw dictates that rain/dirt means the bike stays inside
until such time as summer prevails1 :-) )

Richard's first law of cleaning your bike: "Don't get it dirty!"

If it's raining, it's wind trainer time.

--
Regards.
Richard.
Old August 5th 04, 08:42 AM
hippy

Richard Sherratt
Richard's first law of cleaning your bike: "Don't get it dirty!"
If it's raining, it's wind trainer time.

You are missing out man!! There's nothing more satisfying than
destroying
your drivetrain, wearing out your brake pads and rims, picking grit out
of
your eyes, freezing yourself to the bone and then having wet
shoes/clothes
for the next week...

Having said that.. I'm heading out into the rain now!

hippy

--
hippy

Old August 5th 04, 08:57 AM
flyingdutch

Mike Wrote:
flyingdutch wrote:

There's a few products out there that act as a sealant/prep BEFORE

you
go out and get it dirty.

What on earth does that do? The only porous items might be the saddle
and handlebar grips.

Unless you have one of those new ultra-light cast-sodium frames, a bit
of rain wont hurt. Just bring it inside to dry afterwards, and brush
off the sand when its dry. This is a road-bike, right? How dirty are
your roads?

allows all the dirt to come off much easier, especially grime/grease

--
flyingdutch

Old August 5th 04, 11:30 PM
Richard Sherratt

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:42:22 +1000, hippy
wrote:

Richard Sherratt
Richard's first law of cleaning your bike: "Don't get it dirty!"
If it's raining, it's wind trainer time.

You are missing out man!! There's nothing more satisfying than
destroying
your drivetrain, wearing out your brake pads and rims, picking grit out
of
your eyes, freezing yourself to the bone and then having wet
shoes/clothes
for the next week...

I've found a seconder for the law :-)

Having said that.. I'm heading out into the rain now!

Masochist.

--
Regards.
Richard.