Buying a new bike for a newbie

Old March 16th 05, 08:57 PM
Bill H.

You could probably get a nice aluminum-framed hardtail mountain bike
for under $500. That would be my recommendation, based on what you
said.

I know that Trek makes some decent entry-level mountain bikes that
would work. Gary Fisher, too. Both have bikes under $500 with
aluminum frames.

Don't worry about disc brakes - they ARE cool, but they're expensive
and they really only benefit the hardcore mountain bikers who race in
muddy conditions.

I'd recommend the mountain bike over a hybrid just because if you ever
end up doing some heavier off-road riding you can stick with the
mountain bike where the hybrid could have a lot more problems.

Anyhow, try out a few at the bike shop and go with what works best.
Don't forget to budget for accessories too, like a helmet, bottle cage
and a water bottle, and any tools and patch kits you might want.

-Bill H.

Old March 16th 05, 10:17 PM

Skip the helmet. Helmets do little to protect in a serious accident
and are for wimps and cowards.

--Bicyclists Against Helmets

Old March 17th 05, 04:27 AM
Ben A Gozar

I spoke with a person who bought a 7200? That is the one with the six spoke
wheels? According to him, he wore them out within 1K miles. He never said
how he was riding or where, but other than that I never heard or read
anything bad about them.

"kramer" wrote in
:

A couple of Trek bikes have caught my eye. Anyone have an opinion
about the 4300, 7200 or 7300??? Or similar bikes?

buying a bike (newbie) Kitty UK 125 January 14th 05 08:47 PM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM
aus.bicycle FAQ (Monthly(ish) Posting) kingsley Australia 3 February 24th 04 08:44 PM
newbie bike question - how to tell if bike chain is worn too much Stephen Australia 7 November 28th 03 01:14 AM