RR's: AMB-ID 07 -Recap- Camping, Riding, Swimming

Old August 2nd 07, 03:39 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
HikerDave

Default RR's: AMB-ID 07 -Recap- Camping, Riding, Swimming

On Jul 31, 8:36 pm, Paladin wrote:
On Jul 31, 8:40 pm, HikerDave wrote:

On Jul 30, 10:24 pm, Paladin wrote:

On Jul 30, 11:16 pm, Paladin wrote:

Howdy fans, trolls and friends.

Here are a few shots from our 7th annual AMB-ID weekend:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7728613...7601113321815/

Geedub flies into town Thursday, and rather than pack for our riding/
camping/swimming/eating weekend, we go riding, of course. A quick
barney loop in the heat, a few brews, and hit the rack late.

Up and attem, packing Alex's pickup w/gear, bikes, food, refreshments,
and head for the high country. My favorite place on earth, camping
near Stanley, Idaho. A roaring little town of less than a hundred
high in the Sawtooth mountains.

We ride Elk Meadows first, and you can read more about this hombre
from my first time,http://tinyurl.com/2x5yxuonlythistime, we rode it a lot faster. I
took the lead on the descents, but it was all I could do to hang on
the climbs with ole Geedub, (what's that Penny & Gab named him, "Legs
of Iron" or "Buns of Steel"?) and Alex.

We do this beautiful loop pretty quick. You'll see how nice the
scenery was by the couple of pictures I took.

Back at the temporary hacienda, I treat the bros to chicken fajitas
and other home-made treats. My years as an undercover chef on a
cruise ship pays off some times.

Morning, we pack the cooler and beach stuff, and head to Fisher/
Williams, a famous loop that's pretty well known as the must-do Idaho
classic.

After that truly dandy ride, we head for Redfish Lake, empty brown
bottles and watch the wild life. I'm swimming a lot, while the brugly
others are mostly kicking back and trying to get to know the locals on
the white sand beach.

Good stuff. Stay tuned for more pictures posted and maybe some video
by Geedub.

A great time, but hey, you shoulda been there. Smallest turnout ever,
but we focused on quality, not quantity, heheh. And Penny would have
been proud how early we woke up, and how easy it was to get everybody
at the trailhead ready to ride.

So, may your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous,
leading to the most outrageous adventures. ~Paladin

Alex's Pics are he he took more, and rode faster, too. But I'm a
better cook!

http://picasaweb.google.com/alex.tat...AMB2007Stanley

Paladin

Good lord! Who cooked that plate full of crap!

http://picasaweb.google.com/alex.tat...nley/photo#509...

It's really difficult for me to see the burn (forest) at the gate at
the top of Fisher Creek near the Aztec mine. Last time I was there it
was all green trees.

Gary said he'd met you. Best fried potatoes, sausage and eggs on
God's green earth. Washed down with Gary's coffee, man, that's the
life.

Yeah, the ride up to the mine, and the next 6 miles or so were pretty
wierd. Stark, spooky, open, instead of tight, close and cozy. The
exposure in parts was really highlighted without the trees and
underbrush hiding the view of how far you could fall off.

But that trail is just like me as I age gracefully, no matter what,
it still ROCKS.

CDB

Yeah, I'm just jealous. I did spend a lot of time looking at that big
skillet full of food. Probably went down fast.

Actually, Fisher Creek is one trail that got better. The old dirt road
past the gate was pretty much a waste of elevation compared to the
fast new single track trail that was built later.

The first time I visited Fisher Creek was in the mid 1980's, around
the time when mountain bikes were just beginning to be sold in bike
stores instead of backpacking stores and by mail. That was a real back-
country ride back then. We almost took the right turn at Pigtail creek
instead of the left. That would have been an unplanned epic.

About 12 years ago I went on a short mountain bike trek in the Stanley
area and set up a campsite one night in the aspens overlooking that
last meadow on Williams Creek -- the one before that last hill. Heard
a wolf howl and coyotes yap in return, and saw a big beautiful elk.
The next morning I rode the bike up to Pigtail creek and back.

Old August 2nd 07, 05:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

HikerDave wrote:
[...]

We've done the Pigtail out and back a couple times. About 4 miles to
the big meadow, had lunch, turned around. A great piece of
singletrack. It looked so different this time we turned around after
a mile or so and bailed on it.

Camping up there sounds great. Cold, but great...

CDB

Old August 2nd 07, 01:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Jul 31, 5:11 pm, Paladin wrote:
Hardest part of these weekends is being able to ride hard stuff at
elevation, where it feels like you can't take in enough oxygen to save
your life. Our second ride had a fire road climb of about 7 milesl,
with a gain of about 2,200ft, but most of it was in the last 2 miles,
and that sucked! Our Marine, Highway Patrol Coffee Man did it
without stopping, but he's plain nuckin futz.

Jim and Carla were brave & bold enough to just come out one year and
ride with a bunch of us, (04?) and they came from NY, so it can be
done.

CDB- Hide quoted text -

I've figured the elevation would be a killer. I guess I'll have to do
some riding up high in our local mountains, see how the lungs like
it. I figure if the New Yorkers can do it, so can I!
We have to come out and try, anyway. If the elevation kills us and we
end up slow, not the end of the world. It's not like we'll be riding
with a group of locals to slow them down, with the exception of likely
1 guided ride/tour just to cover some of the tourist traps.

Old August 2nd 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

If your aerobic fitness is good the elevation shouldn't be that big of an
issue. Sure you'll suck wind and feel like your lungs are ready to burst
into flames but after 20 minutes or so you'll acclimate.....sort of.
Altitude really starts to be a factor at 10K feet.

Gary (desert boy that rides the highs-not enough)

Old August 2nd 07, 05:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Aug 2, 10:49 am, "GeeDubb" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Gary (desert boy that rides the highs-not enough)- Hide quoted text -

That's encouraging. I'll have to get the road bike (I know, I know)
back out for daily transportation again once this knee heals, make
sure I am aerobically up to the task. I was there not long ago, but
I've been having too much fun with the motorcycle lately.

Old August 2nd 07, 08:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
dardruba

MattB wrote:

Excellent. Thanks!

Matt

Agreed.

Is this our longest thread of the summer, its probably got the best pics.
Mike

Old August 5th 07, 03:31 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Jimbo(san)

On Jul 31, 1:16 am, Paladin wrote:
Howdy fans, trolls and friends.

Here are a few shots from our 7th annual AMB-ID weekend

A great time, but hey, you shoulda been there. Smallest turnout ever,
but we focused on quality, not quantity, heheh. And Penny would have
been proud how early we woke up, and how easy it was to get everybody
at the trailhead ready to ride.

So, may your trails be narrow, crooked, lonesome and dangerous,
leading to the most outrageous adventures. ~Paladin

Nice stuff Chris...
Maybe one day soon we will get to re-visit.
This year is a new job for me... so no vacation until next year :-(
We have been riding lots and when we were sitting here looking at all
the great pics we both laughed at how out of shape we were and
unprepared...
I think I finished building my bike at 2:00 AM the night before we
flew out!
So if anyone is thinking of going on an AMB holiday take it from me...
It is worth it!

Jimbo(san)

Old August 5th 07, 08:50 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
JD

On Aug 4, 7:31 pm, "Jimbo(san)" wrote:
So if anyone is thinking of going on an AMB holiday take it from me...
It is worth it!

Idaho is the real deal, that's for sure.

JD

Old August 6th 07, 06:38 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

wrote:
On Aug 2, 10:49 am, "GeeDubb" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

You're sure welcome out here, anytime. Take a look at my Sweet
Connie ride report for a look at some of the local goods just a few
minutes from town. We ride about 50 weeks out of the year, but
summer's always best.

Actually, the elevation didn't bother me that much this year. What
wasn't fair was the sun in our faces on the climb up, and the clouds
on the downhills out. O well, still pretty dandy riding no matter how
you measure it. And I don't often get to ride with guys that can ride
circles around me and roast their own coffee, so that added to the
experience, too.

CDB

Was there ever an OLN recap special for the TDF? Jean S. Barto Racing 7 August 14th 06 05:31 PM
Sea Otter Mens Pro Circuit Race -- video recap steephill Racing 0 April 12th 06 10:11 AM
RR's: Perth riding MikeyOz Australia 7 November 7th 05 10:00 AM
Still swimming on the yarra trail sim72 Australia 7 November 20th 04 01:40 AM
Non RR's... Roger Buchanan Mountain Biking 4 June 3rd 04 12:46 AM