RR: Now that was really different

Old August 24th 07, 06:10 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

Default RR: Now that was really different

I lead the Barney Rides each week, and this week we were to shuttle up
the mountain, and ride one of my favorite trails up on our ski hill,
called Stack Rock. Fine and dandy, except I get to the park and
discover I've left my shoes at home. No time to go get em, so what's
a guy to do?

So, to make a long story short, I throw on my running shoes, (at least
I had them in the rig), and load he party cooler, and accompany the
gang of about 7 up the hill. We get there, unload, start grinning,
and it's a new, happenin deal for 3 of our happy campers. They were in
for a treat.

Alex gets to ride his brand new Stumpjumper, and it's looking way too
bling. I'm glad the woodsy trails are dusty, for his sake, of course.

I decide to run it, (well, jog it, really) along with the group, and
let them get ahead. I love the trail, the exercise is great, and what
more can a guy do?

The first section is aptly named, "Entrance Exam" which is pretty
tricky on a bike, but not bad at all on foot.

I go about 3 miles running sweep with Commander Fred, who's slower
than the rest, but hey, he's got 35 to 40 yrs on the young pups in our
group, for the love of Pete. And then we turn around, get to eat and
drink, tell jokes for about 10 minutes before the rest of the happy
band of brothers (and sister) struggle and emerge out of Entrance
Exam. They made it all the way to the famous "Stack Rock" complete
with a little bouldering scramble up to a pinnacle for views and
brews.. well, views anyway.

I'd much rather have ridden it, but sometimes you just have to make
the best out of the cards you're dealt, you know?? What a great
night.

CDB

Old August 24th 07, 05:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

Default Now that was really different

"Paladin" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Great stuff, Chris. I'm trying to imagine how my knees would feel after
trying to run that far.....

Gary (off the bike indefinitely....not one but two herniated discs)

Old August 24th 07, 06:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Aug 24, 10:44 am, "GeeDubb" wrote:
"Paladin" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Thank God my knees are still OK, despite my bad habit of
singlespeeding half the time. No way was I gonna miss out on the
trip, even if I had to run the damn thing. Too cool up there, in
every sense of the word. But by the time we got down off the mtn and
back to the park, it was too late and dark for the bbq and brag time,
so we all adiossed and vamanosed, but jimminy Christmas, that was
fun.

CDB

Old August 24th 07, 07:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Nate

Paladin:
On Aug 24, 10:44 am, "GeeDubb" wrote:
"Paladin" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

So is that the Stack Rock in Boise?

Nate
Old August 24th 07, 07:37 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Aug 24, 12:44 pm, "GeeDubb" wrote:
"Paladin" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Gary (off the bike indefinitely....not one but two herniated discs)- Hide quoted text -

Sorry to hear that, man.

Everybody's different, but for me, there has been life after herniated
discs. Be VERY patient, and be good to yourself. Pre-herniated discs,
I spent my whole tough-guy life "sucking it up" and "working through
it" and it landed me a nasty case of sciatica that left me pretty much
laid up for months. It was almost comical when I realized that my body
just wasn't as tough as my mind.

That was ten years ago. I've learned patience and acceptance the hard
way. Hopefully you'll feel better, but you're going to have to be
smart and pace yourself. After maybe 4 months off the bikes, I ride
almost every day.

/s

Old August 24th 07, 07:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Aug 24, 12:01 pm, "Nate" nospam@invalid wrote:
Paladin:

On Aug 24, 10:44 am, "GeeDubb" wrote:
"Paladin" wrote in message

groups.com...

[...]

Exatamundo! A great trail, with a decent climb at both ends, eh?

CDB

Old August 24th 07, 07:56 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

Great stuff, Chris. I'm trying to imagine how my knees would feel after
trying to run that far.....

Gary (off the bike indefinitely....not one but two herniated discs)

Dang, Gary. I hope trading bikes on FW didn't aggravate things. Them
damm Titusses anyway. I have a few friends that had surgery and are
completely healed, better than before. So do what you gotta do, and
take it easy, drink dark beer, pricey coffee (yummmm this a.m.) & heal
up, my friend.

CDB

Old August 24th 07, 08:27 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

Paladin wrote:
snip

I go about 3 miles running sweep with Commander Fred, who's slower
than the rest, but hey, he's got 35 to 40 yrs on the young pups in our
group, for the love of Pete. And then we turn around, get to eat and
drink, tell jokes for about 10 minutes before the rest of the happy
band of brothers (and sister) struggle and emerge out of Entrance
Exam. They made it all the way to the famous "Stack Rock" complete
with a little bouldering scramble up to a pinnacle for views and
brews.. well, views anyway.

I'd much rather have ridden it, but sometimes you just have to make
the best out of the cards you're dealt, you know?? What a great
night.

CDB

Excellent. I like a good trail run from time to time. I usually do it in
the off seasons when it's too snowy/icy to ride, but not snowy enough to
ski. I notice all sorts of different things running from when I ride the
same trail. Then it sure feels great to do it on the bike again afterwards!

Matt
Old August 24th 07, 08:41 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Aug 24, 1:27 pm, MattB wrote:
Paladin wrote:

snip

[...]

Ditto to all that. Last night Kathy passed me then she let out a huge
yell, just as I had to leap over a pretty big snake, who was most
likely more scared than we were. I saw a lot more of the terrain,
wildlife, etc., and even enjoyed the uphills more. My butt's sore
today, having used some muscles I haven't used since running in the
snow, too.

CDB

Old August 24th 07, 09:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
LIBERATOR

On Aug 23, 11:10 pm, Paladin wrote:
[...]

Only little beeeeOtches need shuttling, even me & Cherry Blossom agree
on that... you little beeeeeOtch...