RR: Little Raven and SSV

Old August 20th 07, 02:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Default RR: Little Raven and SSV

What started out as a easy casual ride at Golden Gate, quickly changed
when Keith called and said he was convinced that an out and back on the
newly improved Little Raven (thanks Boulder Mountain Bike Alliance) and
then an all downhill ride on south Saint Vrain was the way to go. I
said, I think you wanted an easy ride. So, Sunday we find ourselves at
the Roosevelt National Forest.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730287.jpg

So, I have never ridden here and from the pictures I have seen I figured
I was in for an eye opening experience. Not to be caught without the
goods, I grabbed the Ventana for the squish value. Now I remember why I
bought this bike.

We started with a trip up and down Little Raven. For some this might
seem easy, for me it was an experience.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730288.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730289.jpg

Although it started out smooth, it quickly turns into a rock garden
strewn funfest very reminiscent of what I used to ride in the Pocono
Mountains of Pennsylvania.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730290.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730293.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730294.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730297.jpg

I managed my way through a good portion of it, but it was a little
easier coming down it.

As if the rocks weren't enough, I met my most hated nemesis... The
skinny bridge.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730299.jpg

Oddly enough I cleaned this on the way up, but had a terrible time on
the way down. I call these my nemesis because, back on the east coast
these things were all over the trails of the NJ Pine Barrens. The
difference there is that they were always wet and slimy.

At the top, we turned around and hammered down. Fun fun fun!

Keith rocked the rocks!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730304.jpg

On the way over to South Saint Vrain, I stopped for a view.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730306.jpg

And now the super fun begins. I have to say that SSV was the most fun I
have had on the trail since moving to Colorado. The smile never left my
face the entire way down. Although I only cleared about 90% (the nasty
part that goes straight down to the fire road was justly walked), I
think this is just enough to bring out the kid in anyone. All I will
say about the next few pictures is "way too much fun"!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730308.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730312.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730313.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730314.jpg

And this bike is what this trail is about! Finally a trail worthy of
it's beef (that I can actually ride ).

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730316.jpg

And lest there be any doubt that I do have some ability in my old bones...

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730317.jpg

Yes, I am actually in a picture for a change. Notice the tongue action.
I think it helps my balance.

I was riding the best I have in a long time. Then it happened. I got a
little too cocky and tried to go over this easy boulder.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730318.jpg

It was a little deceiving. I didn't realize the drop on the other side
was bigger than I thought. A little too far forward and I went flying.
The superman pose smack into the ground. Still, the smile never left
my face.

More rocky fun.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730319.jpg

And some skinny stuff.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730320.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730321.jpg

And finally some smart trail builders. LEAVE THE DAMN LOG OVERS! They
are fun!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730322.jpg

Keith gets his groove on. This was much nastier than it looks.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/081907/SL730323.jpg

I am coming back here before the end of the season to catch it all on video!

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old August 20th 07, 05:15 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Paladin

On Aug 19, 7:11 pm, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
[...]

Very cool stuff. Looks similar to what Geedub and Alex and I rode
earlier this month.

CDB

Old August 20th 07, 05:36 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Paladin wrote:

Very cool stuff. Looks similar to what Geedub and Alex and I rode
earlier this month.

CDB

Funny you say that. I was telling the others as we were riding that
some sections reminded me of some of the stuff in Idaho.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old August 20th 07, 05:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

Default Little Raven and SSV

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
[...]

Nice. The last few weeks have revived this group some. I'd post something
but I'm out of commission with lower back problems. MRI last Friday to see
if I blew up a disc. Hopefully I'll learn something today cuz not riding
sucks.

Gary

Old August 20th 07, 05:16 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

GeeDubb wrote:

Nice. The last few weeks have revived this group some. I'd post
something but I'm out of commission with lower back problems. MRI last
Friday to see if I blew up a disc. Hopefully I'll learn something today
cuz not riding sucks.

Gary

Ouch. Good luck. I hope it's nothing serious.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old August 20th 07, 08:18 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
. ..
GeeDubb wrote:

Nice. The last few weeks have revived this group some. I'd post
something but I'm out of commission with lower back problems. MRI last
Friday to see if I blew up a disc. Hopefully I'll learn something today
cuz not riding sucks.

Gary

Ouch. Good luck. I hope it's nothing serious.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Unfortunately blown discs run in my family. My dad and both my brothers
have had major back surgery so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I've been
bothered by this thing since 1993 when I popped something while water
skiing. It's always gone away but has been chronic since I broke my collar
back in Dec. of '05. Now the back of both freaking legs are
tingling/numb.....I was good for about 4 miles on the bike before it started
hurting (and a loss of leg strength) now it's constant pain for about two
straight weeks with nothing easing the pain (lots of ibuprofen, oxycodone,
or muscle relaxers).

I felt good in Idaho until I switched bikes with CDB and rode his SB up the
mountain. It was if a switch was thrown, I started pedaling and the pain
started. I still managed to ride the hill but it wasn't a happy ride. The
dh was fun but would have been way funner had my back not hurt.

So now I wait.......

Gary

Old August 20th 07, 10:15 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Scott Gordo

On Aug 20, 3:18 pm, "GeeDubb" wrote:
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message

. ..

GeeDubb wrote:

[...]

As somebody well accustomed to back issues, that f#cking sucks and
we're with you brother.

/s

Old August 20th 07, 10:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Aug 19, 9:11 pm, Ride-A-Lot wrote:
[...]

Great stuff, as usual. Terrain wise that seems like some of the stuff
we have up here in the Northeast to ride, but the views in your neck
still take the cake. Anyway, thanks for the writeup, I'm now inspired
to get out this week for my first real ride since I decided to beat up
that SUV while on the crotch rocket. It's been too long, it'll be
interesting to see what gives first. Knee, lungs or legs, I'm
guessing in that order.

Old August 20th 07, 11:57 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
CowPunk

GeeDubb wrote:

SNIP
dh was fun but would have been way funner had my back not hurt.
Gary

Sounds like someone needs to get (a) bent?

Old August 21st 07, 05:23 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB[_2_]

On Aug 20, 4:57 pm, CowPunk wrote:
GeeDubb wrote:

SNIP
dh was fun but would have been way funner had my back not hurt.
Gary

Sounds like someone needs to get (a) bent?

I think off road DH on a 'bent might be, uh, pretty exciting.

Hope your back gets better Gary.

Nice RR Mitch. That trail looks pretty fun. Textbook rock gardens.
Good stuff!

Matt

Ping Tony Raven Peter Amey UK 0 January 23rd 07 09:48 PM
My new Thorn raven Tour Pinky UK 27 November 13th 06 09:43 PM
RR: The Raven MattB Mountain Biking 6 November 15th 05 09:44 PM
RR: The Raven MattB Mountain Biking 3 November 8th 05 05:25 AM