chain watchers

Old February 17th 09, 09:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default chain watchers

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009...s_chain_keeper

Is this a commercial product? Any idea what brand, etc?

What about this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009...chain_keeper_2

Old February 17th 09, 09:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 09:27:34 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009...s_chain_keeper

Is this a commercial product? Any idea what brand, etc?

What about this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009...chain_keeper_2

Dear John,

When I looked a while back, I never found any commercial version.
Nothing this time, either.

But you might risk $3.99 for the how-to guide.

Page down a little here for the make-your-own-chain-catcher article,
with a photo of what the home-made looks like:
http://www.roadbikerider.com/#DISPATCH

The $3.99 guide:
http://www.roadbikerider.com/booksto...railleurs_Work

Chalo Colina might have some useful tips about making the things.
Basically, you hang a piece of elegantly shaped but sturdy metal from
a handy nut on a clamp-on derailleur.

A commercial version would be nice.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 17th 09, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

It's been around for years:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/p3ech...watcher/pp.htm

I used to use them on tandems with a big drop from the middle to the
small ring.

-Brian
Old February 17th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 17, 3:27*am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009.../tech.php?id=/....

Is this a commercial product? Any idea what brand, etc?

What about this:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009.../tech.php?id=/....

http://harriscyclery.net/page.cfm?Pa...ils&sku=CH2052

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e.aspx?sc=FRGL

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Deflector.aspx

Deda Dog Fang, 3rd Eye, and N'Gear Jump Stop are the three commercial
chain watchers I'm familiar with. I think the ones you are looking at
on Cycling News are custom made by the team mechanic.
Old February 17th 09, 03:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 06:43:50 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

It's been around for years:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/p3ech...watcher/pp.htm

I used to use them on tandems with a big drop from the middle to the
small ring.

I have that on one bike, but it won't fit on another.
Old February 17th 09, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009...s_chain_keeper
Is this a commercial product? Any idea what brand, etc?
What about this:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009...chain_keeper_2

First photo is a Jump Stop, available at any competent LBS, as are Third
Eye chain watchers. Both work well, under $20. Jump Stop is more
adjustable and hence often easier to fit.

Second photo seems likely to be a mechanic-fabricated guide or at least
I've never seen such available as a product.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old February 17th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 17, 3:28*pm, A Muzi wrote:
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009.../tech.php?id=/....
Is this a commercial product? Any idea what brand, etc?
What about this:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009.../tech.php?id=/....

First photo is a Jump Stop, available at any competent LBS, as are Third
Eye chain watchers. Both work well, under $20. Jump Stop is more
adjustable and hence often easier to fit.

Second photo seems likely to be a mechanic-fabricated guide or at least
I've never seen such available as a product.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thats not a N'Gear Jump Stop. Picture has the bolt head protruding,
Jump Stop has the bolt head sunk into the plastic. Jump Stop also has
the metal guide come around from the back of the seattube.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Deflector.aspx

Photo in question.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009...s_chain_keeper
Old February 17th 09, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

wrote:
Thats not a N'Gear Jump Stop. Picture has the bolt head protruding,
Jump Stop has the bolt head sunk into the plastic. Jump Stop also has
the metal guide come around from the back of the seattube.
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Deflector.aspx
Photo in question.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2009...s_chain_keeper

Russel, you're right.
Uncannily similar, a Jump Stop analogue?
Old February 17th 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

It's been around for years:

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/p3ech...watcher/pp.htm

I used to use them on tandems with a big drop from the middle to the
small ring.

-Brian

Dear Brian,

Yes, there are several commercial round-seat-tube chain-watchers--I
use one.

But I think that John is looking for the kind that hang off a front
derailleur or use a different clamp to work on non-round seat-tubes.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel