Motorist drives along pavement

Old March 21st 06, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Motorist drives along pavement

"David Hansen" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:39:08 -0000 someone who may be "elyob"
wrote this:-

They have not excused anyone.

Incorrect. The appropriate sentence is, "police are investigating
and say it appears to have been a tragic accident."

Incorrect. That sentence refers to the rail crash - which is why HSE are
involved.

clive

Old March 21st 06, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 12:48:17 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "p.k."
wrote this:-

Why do you persist in such laughable distortions?

Proof by assertion.

The issue wrt cyclists is DELIBERATE cycling on the pavement.

Does that include those who ride along pavements who have been given
the magic white paint and blue sign treatment?

the tragic
incident you link to was a traffic "accident" the driver did not intend to
drive on the pavement.

I suggest that neither you or I know that at the moment. However,
motorists driving along the pavement are not as rare as some thing.
I have also yet to hear of a cyclist injuring six pedestrians in one
go.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old March 21st 06, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote this:-

They have not excused anyone.

Incorrect. The appropriate sentence is, "police are investigating
and say it appears to have been a tragic accident."

Have you read the article? The bit you quote is in respect of the train
crash.

WRT to he car crash it says "A man was arrested on Monday on suspicion
of dangerous driving, after being treated for minor injuries. He was
later released on bail while inquiries continue".

The car driver will, as usual be spared no effort in an attempt to
convict him of the most serious offence possible, and there are
certainly plenty to choose from.

--
Matt B
Old March 21st 06, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Yorkie wrote:
p.k. wrote:
The issue wrt cyclists is DELIBERATE cycling on the pavement. the
tragic incident you link to was a traffic "accident" the driver did
not intend to drive on the pavement.

How do you know it was an accident, and how do you know the drivers
intentions? You may be correct, but we don't know yet.

It's also interesting how cars are seemingly only ever involved in
"accidents", yet other forms of transports have "crashes" and
"disasters" instead.

All car crashes are, apparently, automatically classsed as "accidents"
by some.

note I used "accident" IN QUOTES to suggest the same point.

wrt what we know:

'Det Supt Glyn Jones said it appeared the car had gone on the wrong side of
the road then, as it cut back, lost control and mounted the pavement
knocking over the pedestrians. '

Suggests a non deliberate cause.

pk

Old March 21st 06, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:25:45 -0000 someone who may be "Clive George"
wrote this:-

Incorrect. That sentence refers to the rail crash - which is why HSE are
involved.

Incorrect. However, I see that the BBC have now changed their story
and removed the police attempt to excuse the motorist.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old March 21st 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 16:45:54 +0000 someone who may be Matt B
wrote this:-

Have you read the article?

What do you think?

The bit you quote is in respect of the train crash.

Incorrect.

WRT to he car crash it says "A man was arrested on Monday on suspicion
of dangerous driving, after being treated for minor injuries. He was
later released on bail while inquiries continue".

That is only one part of the BBC's story. However, they have now
changed it.

The car driver will, as usual be spared no effort in an attempt to
convict him of the most serious offence possible,

Ha, ha.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old March 21st 06, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

spindrift wrote:

Cycling on the footway is also more dangerous than cycling on the road,
and causes distress to pedestrians. So don't do it.

I don't see why all footpaths are not turned into cycle paths. You still
have to give way to pedestrians on a cycle path, and so many cyclists
ride on them anyway surely it would be better to educate people on how to
share the space with peds instead of telling them they can't do it (which
doesn't seem to work)
Old March 21st 06, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006 17:16:28 +0000 (UTC) someone who may be "p.k."
wrote this:-

wrt what we know:

'Det Supt Glyn Jones said it appeared the car had gone on the wrong side of
the road then, as it cut back, lost control and mounted the pavement
knocking over the pedestrians. '

Suggests a non deliberate cause.

Perhaps, if the car was driving itself, as the police officer
asserts. However, in the "real world" cars don't drive themselves
but rather are driven by humans, usually called motorists.

Unless there was some mechanical failure, which is possible but
unlikely, the car crashed into the pedestrians because the motorist
turned the steering wheel, or operated some of the other controls in
such a way as to crash into the pedestrians.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old March 21st 06, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 21 Mar 2006 07:56:24 -0800 someone who may be "spindrift"
wrote this:-

Putting it in perspective, then, cyclists pose some danger to
pedestrians, but it is at least two and probably nearer three orders of
magnitude lower than that posed by cars. In statistical terms, allowing
for sampling errors and the confidence levels of the figures, cyclist
danger to pedestrians is negligible.

Far too sensible a post for some of the trolls.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old March 21st 06, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message , 2.30 zulu-india\ ('"Mr R@t \')
wrote:

"David Martin" wrote in message
oups.com...

Goodness me, dead plants in the countryside. Who'd have thought it.
Something must be done..

AFAIK most dead (wild) plants die where they were planted or are
trimmed / removed / harvested. Decomposing vegetable matter is no
longer normally thrown or left at the side of the road - at least in
the areas where I live!

Are there now no deciduous trees left in southern England?

;; killing [afghan|iraqi] civilians is not 'justice'

fined for cycling on the pavement Ben Fitzgerald UK 163 November 15th 05 10:05 AM
Critical Mass causes Sacramento Motorist to drive off road Ifoundmore Social Issues 2 July 18th 05 04:18 PM
Road tire life span cheg Techniques 77 June 25th 04 06:44 AM
Shared pavement cycle paths Allan UK 30 June 17th 04 11:12 PM