City to Surf route

Old January 8th 11, 02:43 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default City to Surf route

One of these days I am gonna ride the City to Surf route on my bike. For
those who may not know, the City to Surf is an annual foot race in
Sydney, with several thousand runners taking part.

I don't intend to take part in the City to Surf race but just to ride
the route itself at some time of my own choosing.

I realised that the last coupla days, I have been doing a fair chunk of
the route already - going from Edgecliff train station, thru Double Bay,
along Rose Bay and Dover Heights and up along New South Head until just
past that girls' school (?dunno what name) up the hill.

It is not really that steep a hill although I did puff and pant a bit. I
need to get a bit stronger - I know Riding the 21-speed Cannondale
didn't make it easier - my everyday 40-yr piece of crap is currently
hors de combat, you see.

In fact, I sometimes feel that the 40-yr bike (2 gears front x 7 gears
rear) handled the hill a bit better than the Cannondale (3 gears front x
7 gears rear). I dunno, I have to sit down and calculate the ratios one
of these days. I have even done the hill when the old bike had 2 gears
front x 6 gears rear and that probably felt better than the Cannondale
going up that hill.

Anyway, I digress.

After finishing at Vaucluse today, I was about to head down the hill
again as I normally do when I was struck by the realisation that in the
dozen or so times I have climbed the hill visiting Vaucluse over the
years, I had NEVER actually made it to the corner of New South Head Road
and Old South Head Road (what I call the "top of the hill"). I kinda
vaguely recall that, said corner is supposedly a significant point in
the City to Surf race.

Mind you, I usually only need to make it past the girls school and
there was never any real reason to pedal another coupla hundred
metres(?) or so.

Well, as it was Saturday and I had nothing to do, I decided to go the
last few hundred metres just for the hell of it.

There was a nice park up near the confluence of the two roads and there
was a nice view looking out to sea.

I came back down via Old South Head Road towards Bondi Junction and
caught the train home from Bondi Junction train station.

Now that I have done some of the City to Surf route, I wouldn't mind
doing the whole route one of these days. I think some parts of the route
have changed over time so I might need to settle for whatever happens to
be the route for the year

BTW, it is a lovely view looking out to the harbour on my left as I am
going up the hill and coming down the hill is just as much fun with the
big corners I didn't really like coming down Old South Head Road as
much cos it was a bit too straight and didn't feel as steep.
Old January 23rd 11, 11:34 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Andrew Price[_3_]

Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:

One of these days I am gonna ride the City to Surf route on my bike.

Its also quite possible to ride the route of the road race and time trial in
the 2000 Sydney Olympics - see the courses set our here -

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/resul...maps.shtml#cen

The climb out of Bronte is nasty brutish but short to paraphrase Hobbs -
otherwise is a bit of a cruise at recreational speed.

Best, andrew

Old January 23rd 11, 12:21 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 21:34:54 +1100, Andrew Price wrote:

The climb out of Bronte is nasty brutish but short to paraphrase Hobbs -
otherwise is a bit of a cruise at recreational speed.

The hairpin coming down into Queens Park isn't that bad, until halfway
through you remember it's no longer a closed course and you probably
shouldn't be cutting it that tight...

--
Dave Hughes -
"Soon we will be able to harness the rotational energy from Orwell's

Old January 23rd 11, 04:28 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 23/01/2011 9:34 PM, Andrew Price wrote:

Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:

One of these days I am gonna ride the City to Surf route on my bike.

Its also quite possible to ride the route of the road race and time trial in
the 2000 Sydney Olympics - see the courses set our here -

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/resul...maps.shtml#cen

Thanks for that Andrew. I think that's next weekend sorted for moi

The road course seems interesting so I'll probably cheat by catching the
train to Central and riding to the start point instead of riding from
home to the start point

Might also do the time trial course as it is around the same place.

Dunno about the MTB course - might give that a go another weekend.
Fairfield City Farm is a fair ways away from Liverpol train station.

The climb out of Bronte is nasty brutish but short to paraphrase Hobbs -
otherwise is a bit of a cruise at recreational speed.

17kms for the road course, eh? So that should not take more than 20
mins, right? Just kidding