building your own trailer?

Old June 1st 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ablang

Default building your own trailer?

Has anyone ever found any recipes online or built their own?

If so, what would be the easiest way to do it so that one can buy
groceries, haul recyclables, or get a pizza, etc?
Old June 1st 08, 06:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Winston

Ablang wrote:

Has anyone ever found any recipes online or built their own?

If so, what would be the easiest way to do it so that one can buy
groceries, haul recyclables, or get a pizza, etc?

Easiest, fastest way is to use your Visa multitool:

http://www.nashbar.com/
Item No. » NA-TLR

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sku=1873 3&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Show%20All%20Produ cts

--Winston
Old June 1st 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Ablang wrote:
Has anyone ever found any recipes online or built their own?

If so, what would be the easiest way to do it so that one can buy
groceries, haul recyclables, or get a pizza, etc?

Put a want-ad on your craigslist or local newspaper.

I don't know where you are, but in the US it's darn tough to build stuff
for less $$$ than the Chinese can make it and cart it over here.
~
Old June 1st 08, 11:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Baldwin

Ablang asked;

Has anyone ever found any recipes online or built their
own?
If so, what would be the easiest way to do
it so that one can buy groceries, haul recyclables, or
get a pizza, etc?

Hey Ablang - Do a Google Search and you'll find quite a bit of online
resources from basic designs to DIY parts (bikesatwork.com)

I applaud your DIY attitude over those who think it's "tough" to beat
the products of Chinese Slave Labor.
Umm, let's see. Do It Yourself or buy cheap crap from China and
continue to feed the energy sucking monster driving up the cost of
living of free people around the world.

Good Luck Ablang & Best Regards

Mike Baldwin

Old June 1st 08, 01:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 1, 12:04*am, Ablang wrote:
*Has anyone ever found any recipes online or built their own?

If so, what would be the easiest way to do it so that one can buy
groceries, haul recyclables, or get a pizza, etc?

There is a section in 'Bike Forums' that might inspire you:-

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdispl...2cd88 b&f=261

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

*****
Old June 1st 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 1, 1:04 am, Ablang wrote:
Has anyone ever found any recipes online or built their own?

If so, what would be the easiest way to do it so that one can buy
groceries, haul recyclables, or get a pizza, etc?

There is an obscure, out-of-print book on building bike trailers, as
well as various other wheeled carts:

The Cart Book with Plans and Projects by William L. Sullivan,
copyright 1983 by Tab Books, ISBN 0-8306-0512-6

Used book stores may be able to get you a copy.

http://www.abebooks.com/ is an excellent worldwide network of used
book stores. I see they have a few copies available.

- Frank Krygowski

Old June 1st 08, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

I won't bore you with the details of how I built my trailer, but I do think
you may be interested in my hitch. I clamped a short piece of conduit
pointing rearward, onto my seat post. The trailer tongue was a matching
length of conduit--I joined the two with a short length of Tygon tubing,
which gave me the needed universal alignment action, and could be
connected/disconnected by a hose clamp.

Old June 1st 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://bikecart.pedalpeople.com/
http://www.instructables.com/id/bicycle-trailer./
Old June 1st 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jun 1, 12:11 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 1, 1:04 am, Ablang wrote:

Has anyone ever found any recipes online or built their own?

If so, what would be the easiest way to do it so that one can buy
groceries, haul recyclables, or get a pizza, etc?

There is an obscure, out-of-print book on building bike trailers, as
well as various other wheeled carts:

The Cart Book with Plans and Projects by William L. Sullivan,
copyright 1983 by Tab Books, ISBN 0-8306-0512-6

Used book stores may be able to get you a copy.

http://www.abebooks.com/is an excellent worldwide network of used
book stores. I see they have a few copies available.

- Frank Krygowski

I built my trailers using this book, and photocopied a few pages years
ago while I had it from the local library. I even emailed the author
and asked permission to upload the relevant pages (honest me), but he
gave permission for only three pages, even though he has no plans to
reprint the book.

I have basic instructions at my site:

http://drumbent.com/trailer.html

http://drumbent.com/trailer_big.html (photo essay)

And some blog posts of trailers built by others using the above:

http://drumbent.blogspot.com/2007/03/fan-mail.html

http://drumbent.blogspot.com/2007/05/fan-mail-2.html

http://drumbent.blogspot.com/2007/09...-fan-mail.html

http://drumbent.blogspot.com/2007/10...-using-my.html

Mark

Old June 1st 08, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jun 1, 12:37 pm, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
I won't bore you with the details of how I built my trailer, but I do think
you may be interested in my hitch. I clamped a short piece of conduit
pointing rearward, onto my seat post. The trailer tongue was a matching
length of conduit--I joined the two with a short length of Tygon tubing,
which gave me the needed universal alignment action, and could be
connected/disconnected by a hose clamp.

Bike Friday uses something vaguely similar: a short length of rubber
hose with a quick release hose fitting, the kind of thing available at
many hardware stores.

The bike frame has a threaded boss into which the male portion of the
air QR threads. The female part of the QR is mounted in the normal
way on the end of the 6" hose.

The QR allows rotation and the hose gives flex for turns. Releasing
is a no-tools operation that takes about two seconds.

But I've heard at least one account of the hose failing on a long
tour.

- Frank Krygowski

Building a trailer/bike RV Mark[_4_] Techniques 8 September 29th 07 04:56 AM
Building a BC? madmattunipro Unicycling 3 November 24th 05 06:02 PM
Building a BC? litldude2 Unicycling 0 November 19th 05 06:30 PM
building first uni butternuts Unicycling 9 October 20th 05 12:45 PM
Wheel building - maybe DaveB Australia 20 September 16th 04 11:11 PM