HRM died on me, looking at Sigma Sport PC14 and Timex Marathon...

Old August 5th 05, 02:03 AM
Preston Crawford

Default HRM died on me, looking at Sigma Sport PC14 and Timex Marathon...

Any opinions on which is going to be better quality? I've been Polar for
years, but they've dropped their Pacer product.

Preston
Old August 5th 05, 02:27 AM
GaryG

"Preston Crawford" wrote in message
Any opinions on which is going to be better quality? I've been Polar for
years, but they've dropped their Pacer product.

Preston

I just bought a Sigma Sport PC14. Initial impressions - the watch part is
pretty large (not an issue if it's mounted on the handlebars, but might be
an issue on the wrist). Setup is fairly intuitive.

The main thing I don't like is that it does NOT show time "In", "Below", and
"Above" your target HR zone. If I knew this when I ordered, I probably
wouldn't have purchased this unit.

But, the price was right ($49.95 from Nashbar).

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Old August 5th 05, 02:54 AM
Preston Crawford

On 2005-08-05, GaryG wrote:
"Preston Crawford" wrote in message
Any opinions on which is going to be better quality? I've been Polar for
years, but they've dropped their Pacer product.

Preston

I just bought a Sigma Sport PC14. Initial impressions - the watch part is
pretty large (not an issue if it's mounted on the handlebars, but might be
an issue on the wrist). Setup is fairly intuitive.

The main thing I don't like is that it does NOT show time "In", "Below", and
"Above" your target HR zone. If I knew this when I ordered, I probably
wouldn't have purchased this unit.

But, the price was right ($49.95 from Nashbar).

Yeah, I saw the size and it's a bit disconcerting to me. It looks really
big and I have big arms and wrists. The heart rate zone issue isn't so
much of a problem for me. I just mostly want to make sure I'm not
wearing a Flava Flav clock around as an HRM. The Timex is definitely
friendlier as a watch, but doesn't say ECG reliable, so I don't know how
good the quality is, you know.

Preston
Old August 5th 05, 05:05 AM
Jeff Starr

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 20:03:49 -0500, Preston Crawford
wrote:

Any opinions on which is going to be better quality? I've been Polar for
years, but they've dropped their Pacer product.

Preston

Hi, I have the older Sigma Sport PC1300. It has worked flawlessly.
This one does show how much time below, in, and over.

I wouldn't want to wear it as a wris****ch, but for use when riding,
it is fine. I like my wris****ches to be analog.

The PC1300 allows user battery replacement, which is something I
wanted.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old August 5th 05, 05:43 AM
Preston Crawford

wrote:

Any opinions on which is going to be better quality? I've been Polar for
years, but they've dropped their Pacer product.

Preston

Hi, I have the older Sigma Sport PC1300. It has worked flawlessly.
This one does show how much time below, in, and over.

I wouldn't want to wear it as a wris****ch, but for use when riding,
it is fine. I like my wris****ches to be analog.

The PC1300 allows user battery replacement, which is something I
wanted.

Life is Good!
Jeff

Yeah, I picked up the Sigma Sport today and it's GIGANTIC as a wrist
watch. That's really sad. I've ALWAYS worn my HRMs as wris****ches.
Mostly because of ease of use. Hop off the bike on my commute, have to
park it in a community garage, lock it up, pop off the computer, head
into work. Ugh. Why did they have to make it so huge. It's ridiculous.

Preston
Old August 5th 05, 02:04 PM
David White

I am a fairly recent user of the PC14 which I got a Nashbar for about $30. So
far, I am very happy with it. I do note that occasionally the heart rate drops
to zero suddenly. Sometimes it comes back quickkly, sometimes not for a while.
At first I thought it was related to possible movement of the chest transmitter
but no. I believe I read of others having this (perhaps on road bike review).
Still for $30 I am happy and it is user servicable.

Old August 5th 05, 10:42 PM
DNO

I have a PC1600 - It has all of the features I need including Time
in/above/below zone, average and max HR, calorie counter etc. I
actually got mine for $29.99 at Performance (locally in the Bay Area) -
I am not sure why the price was so low, but I was not complaining at
the checkout.

One side benefit of the Sigma - I actually bought this as an exchange
for a Polar s-150 HRM, which I found suffered from horrible
interference and inaccurate readings, the Sigma has fixed that and is
much easier to use also. I highly recommend them, especially for the
price