Record speed!

Old July 29th 03, 10:12 AM
Phil.Winterbourne

Default Record speed!

last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)

I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.

Phil
Old July 29th 03, 10:14 AM
elyob

"Phil.Winterbourne" wrote in message
last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)

I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.

Phil

I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now I reckon
I can top 70mph ..

Old July 29th 03, 10:21 AM
Lee

"elyob" wrote in message

"Phil.Winterbourne" wrote in message
last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)

I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.

Phil

I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now I

reckon
I can top 70mph ..

Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!

Old July 29th 03, 10:21 AM
chris French

In message , Phil.Winterbourne
writes
last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
the last road back into the town.

Which road was that?

I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
breaking

^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh dear - I hope nothing fell off?

--
Chris French, Leeds
Old July 29th 03, 10:24 AM
W K

"elyob" wrote in message

"Phil.Winterbourne" wrote in message
last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)

I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.

Phil

I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now I

reckon
I can top 70mph ..

Yikes. Skinny wheels at 70? I'd rather have nice squishy 1.5"ers.
Road bikes are good for making 30mph hills into 40mph hills, but I'd be wary
of doing much above that on a regular basis.

I managed to do 84.9kph on a rather fun roller-coaster roman road.
Didn't even have to put the brakes on to get back to a sensible speed.
(and that was before an excellent road that gets steeper and steeper but
still disappears into a dip. (77kph)

Old July 29th 03, 10:31 AM
Shaun Rimmer

Phil.Winterbourne wrote in message
last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)

I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.

Phil

Huh - and I thought I'd done well at 38.9mph! That wasn't scary though -
straight road, no junctions, bike felt extremely stable. Surprised I managed
it with 2.6 tyres though. Mebbe that the bike weighs about 36lb helped.

I might have done faster on my skinny tyred (with 65 psi) steel rigid since,
but it ain't got a 'pooter on it yet.

Shaun aRe - good going Phil.

Old July 29th 03, 10:32 AM
elyob

"Lee" wrote in message

"elyob" wrote in message

"Phil.Winterbourne" wrote in message
last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)

I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round

the
last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.

Phil

I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now I

reckon
I can top 70mph ..

Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!

I get bored if I'm doing less than as fast as I can go. Of course, I do this
without hacking through one-way streets the wrong way, on pavements and the
like. As and when I fall off at this speed, I may get 'the fear', but not
yet .... Still coming off at 20 is as dangerous as any faster speed IMO.

Old July 29th 03, 10:36 AM
Velvet

Lee wrote:
"elyob" wrote in message

"Phil.Winterbourne" wrote in message

last night on a pleasant little loop near Otley I managed 47.6 mph on
the last road back into the town. This is a personal best & I'm well
chuffed. One day I'll buy a road bike & try the same stretch :-)

I could probably have gone a little faster, but I couldn't see round the
last bend and wasn't sure if there were any side roads so I started
breaking about 1/4 of a mile too early for the 'best' speed.

Phil

I got 53mph down Ditchling Beacon .. I want a road bike too now I

reckon

I can top 70mph ..

Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!

I was terrified when I got to 17mph down a fairly long hill.
Recently, I was terrified when I got to 6mph on a very steep hill.

Last weekend I was screaming 'Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!' mentally to myself
as I pedalled down a lovely hill to get to 22mph ;-)

Being comfortable with the bike's balance and reach of the bars, and
also making sure it's a hill without the need to brake hard at the
bottom (ie, has a hill going up the other side, doesn't stop at a
junction or a sharp bend etc) is a nice one to try such things on.

I'm no longer terrified of speed downhill, as long as it's on the right
sort of hill, and not horribly steep (like those around where I live
tend to be!)

Velvet

Old July 29th 03, 10:43 AM
Maureen

"Lee" wrote in message

Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!

Maybe I am just getting old, but I am inclined to start thinking things like
"What if my forks broke and I went head first into the road at 40mph"

Mind you, I am a woosy female!!! No doubt all you guys on here are fearless (:

Maureen

Old July 29th 03, 10:49 AM
elyob

"Maureen" maureendotdoigatbtinternetdotcom wrote in message
. ..

"Lee" wrote in message

Dont u guys get scared - i do and im prolly only doin 20!

Maybe I am just getting old, but I am inclined to start thinking things

like
"What if my forks broke and I went head first into the road at 40mph"

Mind you, I am a woosy female!!! No doubt all you guys on here are

fearless (:

Maureen

Fearless, until I have to talk to a nice looking woman ... then I'd prefer
to be on my bike at 50mph ... the opposite way ...

Riding speed Daniel Crispin General 34 August 10th 04 04:09 AM
FA: Campagnolo Record on Gel 280 Track Wheels Ian Yates General 1 January 16th 04 03:54 PM
Colnago C50 + Record 2004 road test (sort of) Richard Sherratt General 0 December 23rd 03 07:33 AM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM
Dumb Newbie Qs on Gears and Speed Elisa Francesca Roselli General 14 July 27th 03 08:23 PM