Bicycle Rack Mishaps?

Old December 2nd 03, 09:53 AM
Tom Sherman

Default Truck war [OT] Bicycle Rack Mishaps?

Rick Onanian wrote:

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 21:15:50 -0600, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Rick Onanian wrote:
Huh? It's the 5000+ pounds that makes the bumps better! No more
back-crunching neck-snapping potholes or speed bumps when you get
above 5000 pounds, unless you have really stiff suspension....

You mean like the GMC TopKick we have at work? The ride is terrible,
even with the 1000-gallon water tank full.

I imagine your TopKick has "really stiff suspension", like other CDL
and near-CDL trucks. It's certainly no consumer light truck that
doubles as a personal vehicle.

Yes, a TopKick is a bit small for personal use.
http://poseur.4x4.org/futuresuv.html

It does do a nice job of hauling this around on a trailer, however.
http://www.cmeco.com/images/550x.htm

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old December 3rd 03, 12:11 AM
Rick Onanian

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 03:53:24 -0600, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Yes, a TopKick is a bit small for personal use.
http://poseur.4x4.org/futuresuv.html

Your link is missing the best one. I once saw such a parody page
that included a picture of an "SUV" the size of a house, which
included a Ford Expedition strapped to the top as if it were a spare
tire.

It does do a nice job of hauling this around on a trailer, however.
http://www.cmeco.com/images/550x.htm

I don't know what it's _supposed_ to do, but it sure is making me
drool. G

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

--
Rick "Big boy toys" Onanian
Old December 6th 03, 03:50 AM
Tom Sherman

Rick Onanian wrote:
It does do a nice job of hauling this around on a trailer, however.
http://www.cmeco.com/images/550x.htm

I don't know what it's _supposed_ to do, but it sure is making me
drool. G

It is used for exploratory soil borings, installing monitoring wells,
rock coring, etc.

If you would like to run one, apply for a job as a driller or drill
helper. There are usually vacancies open due to the nature of the job:
long to very long hours, a lot of out of town travel, working outdoors
in inclement weather, heavy lifting, getting covered in dirt on a
consistent basis, etc. Many drillers (in the US) also lose their jobs if
the lose their CDL's.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Old December 7th 03, 01:24 AM
Leonard Migliore

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Rick Onanian wrote:
It does do a nice job of hauling this around on a trailer, however.
http://www.cmeco.com/images/550x.htm

I don't know what it's _supposed_ to do, but it sure is making me
drool. G

It is used for exploratory soil borings, installing monitoring wells,
rock coring, etc.

If you would like to run one, apply for a job as a driller or drill
helper. There are usually vacancies open due to the nature of the job:
long to very long hours, a lot of out of town travel, working outdoors
in inclement weather, heavy lifting, getting covered in dirt on a
consistent basis, etc. Many drillers (in the US) also lose their jobs if
the lose their CDL's.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

What's a CDL? What's it like to lose it?
Old December 7th 03, 05:52 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Leonard Migliore wrote:

In article ,
Tom Sherman wrote:

Rick Onanian wrote:
It does do a nice job of hauling this around on a trailer, however.
http://www.cmeco.com/images/550x.htm

I don't know what it's _supposed_ to do, but it sure is making me
drool. G

It is used for exploratory soil borings, installing monitoring wells,
rock coring, etc.

If you would like to run one, apply for a job as a driller or drill
helper. There are usually vacancies open due to the nature of the job:
long to very long hours, a lot of out of town travel, working outdoors
in inclement weather, heavy lifting, getting covered in dirt on a
consistent basis, etc. Many drillers (in the US) also lose their jobs if
the lose their CDL's.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

What's a CDL? What's it like to lose it?

You never forget first time you lose your Commercial Driver's
License...the shame, the flashing lights, the police officers, it takes
me right back just thinking about it.

Ah, memories,
--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine