Gas Rage In Staten Island

Old September 2nd 05, 07:54 PM
Ted Bennett

Default Gas Rage In Staten Island

In article ,
"Jim Booth" wrote:

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
NEW YORK- A car whose driver was apparent distraught over the rapid
fluctuations in gasoline prices allegedly drove his car into two gas
pumps at a service station located at the corner of Amboy Road and
Clark in the Richmond section of Staten Island. The driver, a 43 year
old Staten Island resident, was heard shouting "What are they doing for
us?", "We can't can't afford to live!", "Food or gas we must choose!"
as he was taken into police custody.

Anything that will get the typical fat american outta his SUV is a good
thing. Fat america has been set up by the car and oil industry and now
are a gonna get screwed.

How about getting ANWR on line. We Alaskan's are trying to help....but a few
environmental groups keeps us from doing just that!

JIM

How would that help? It would be a very small proportion of US
petrochemical production, from everything I've read.

The best answer is to reduce consumption, and that isn't that difficult.
Most production goes to gasoline, and a lot of gasoline is used for the
short drives easily replaced by pedal power.

Ted

--
Ted Bennett
Old September 2nd 05, 08:09 PM
Neil Brooks

Ted Bennett wrote:

wrote:
NEW YORK- A car whose driver was apparent distraught over the rapid
fluctuations in gasoline prices allegedly drove his car into two gas
pumps at a service station located at the corner of Amboy Road and
Clark in the Richmond section of Staten Island. The driver, a 43 year
old Staten Island resident, was heard shouting "What are they doing for
us?", "We can't can't afford to live!", "Food or gas we must choose!"
as he was taken into police custody.

Anything that will get the typical fat american outta his SUV is a good
thing. Fat america has been set up by the car and oil industry and now
are a gonna get screwed.

How about getting ANWR on line. We Alaskan's are trying to help....but a few
environmental groups keeps us from doing just that!

JIM

How would that help?

Just a guess, but I'm betting it would dramatically increase that
fabled Alaskan rebate (Citizen's Dividend) that inures annually to
every AK resident.

What was it last year, Jim? $919.84?

http://snipurl.com/heec

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen's_dividend

http://www.pfd.state.ak.us/

It would be a very small proportion of US
petrochemical production, from everything I've read.

The best answer is to reduce consumption, and that isn't that difficult.
Most production goes to gasoline, and a lot of gasoline is used for the
short drives easily replaced by pedal power.

A-men, brother!
Old September 2nd 05, 08:16 PM

The Staten Island Ferry is free;).

Thanks!
Marc Sindell
Twin City Subaru
Montpelier, Vermont

Old September 2nd 05, 08:40 PM
Bob the Cow

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
ups.com...

Anything that will get the typical fat american outta his SUV is a good
thing. Fat america has been set up by the car and oil industry and now
are a gonna get screwed.

I'll tell that to Art who worked on my kids' bikes. He got along pretty
well on his artificial leg since Korea, but lately he's needed to put his
fat wheelchair into his fat SUV and drive his fat ass around visiting
nursing homes as a volunteer feeder.

Art would probably love to meet you, he swings a mean softball bat.

Old September 2nd 05, 08:42 PM
Bob the Cow

"Mark Hickey" wrote in message

You're probably gonna see some DEEP discounts on the whale-size SUVs

You're right -- if the leading indicator is the number of these things
parked alongside the county roads with the "For Sale" signs in the windows.

(though they'll probably make it up by increasing the price of the
econoboxes).

Damn skippy they will. I'll bet it's pretty hard to find a 2004 Toyota
Camry.

Old September 2nd 05, 08:51 PM
Doug Huffman

No. The same gentleman that taught us that "an armed society is a polite
society" also taught TANSTAAFL, meaning There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free
Lunch. The tax payer pays for the ferry's fuel whether he wants to or not -
kind'a like a mugging. Be safe, go armed.

oups.com...

Old September 2nd 05, 08:56 PM
Ken M

They are practically paying people to take them off the lot now!

Ken

Old September 2nd 05, 09:01 PM
Ken M

From what I have heard and read ANWR is just a temporary fix. I read
that there is only enough oil there for about ten years. Plus I have
also heard / read that the real problem really has to do with supply
and demand, the supply that the refineries can produce. They were
operating at 95% capacity BEFORE the storm. Now Katrina knocks a few
off line for a while the MV driving world is not going to like the
results.

Ken

Old September 2nd 05, 10:04 PM
Neil Brooks

"Bob the Cow" wrote:

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
oups.com...

Anything that will get the typical fat american outta his SUV is a good
thing. Fat america has been set up by the car and oil industry and now
are a gonna get screwed.

I'll tell that to Art who worked on my kids' bikes. He got along pretty
well on his artificial leg since Korea, but lately he's needed to put his
fat wheelchair into his fat SUV and drive his fat ass around visiting
nursing homes as a volunteer feeder.

Art would probably love to meet you, he swings a mean softball bat.

Wow, Bob. Let me state the incredibly obvious he

Your friend, Art, is NOT your typical fat American. He has a genuine
need for a vehicle that will accommodate his special needs.
Old September 2nd 05, 10:13 PM
Jonathan Kaplan

I live in NJ. I've seen gas lines and stations run out of gas at $2.78
yesterday (which became $3.05 this morning). The highest I saw today was
$3.35.

I am a reformed gasaholic. About a year ago I traded my 12 mpg Dodge Ram
1500 pickup for a Ford Focus (25mpg). I then also purchased my father's
Prius (45mpg for real). I gloat when I see the SUV drivers filling their
tanks. There is no need for at least 75% of the SUVs. Especially in the
NY/NJ metro area, we get very little snow. People in the 60's survived with
rear wheel drive. Front wheel drive is adequate for our weather.

A minivan is much more practical and fuel efficient. Call me a radical, but
I think gasoline should be taxed at least $1.00 per gallon. Everyone who has
a vehicle which gets over 25mpg would get the money back as a tax credit,
the others can go bankrupt with their SUV's. Everyone I know who has an SUV
says that they will never give it up no matter how high the gas goes. I
guess they will like having a stylish paperweight!