Sunscreen for bicycling

Old August 30th 18, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Sunscreen for bicycling

On 2018-08-27 08:23,
On 2018-08-24 11:04,
On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 12:44:06 PM UTC-7, Joerg
On 2018-08-21 11:22, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 07:23:43 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-20 18:45, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 14:50:44 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-20 14:43, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 13:55:46 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-20 13:36, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 12:23:34 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-08-20 12:13,

On Monday, August 20, 2018 at 12:00:57
On 2018-08-20 11:26,
wrote:
On Saturday, August 11, 2018 at
7:29:00 PM UTC-7, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2018 00:05:16 -0000
(UTC), bob prohaska
wrote:

Does anybody have suggestions
for sunscreen to wear while
bicycling?

My cancer doctor said to use zinc
sunblock on fresh scars. (My
current scar is under my hatband,
so all I use is E-oil and a white
linen do-rag.)

I'm currently using Kroger's
knock-off of Neutrogena 70; when it
runs out, I plan to start snitching
my spouse's Neutrogena 100, so as
to use it up faster.

I used to use a cheaper sunblock on
my arms and legs, but when it ran
out, I began to put the same stuff
everywhere. I usually coat only the
outside of the calf muscle on my
legs, because that is where I got a
brown streak when I could ride that
long. I rub my arms together like a
cricket, and put an extra layer on
what sticks out of my sleeves.
(In hot weather, I wear long linen
sleeves -- and on my last few rides
they got soaking wet without
spitting water on them.) I still
have brown, speckled arms. And
there's a patch on the back of my
hand even though I put on another
layer of 50-SPF sunscreen every
time I take off my gloves.

The stick sunscreen is running out
and I haven't yet found another
that fits into my pocket. I
recently realized that I can put
lotion into a lip-salve box -- if I
can find one that isn't identical
in every way to the box I carry A&D
in.

I used to carry hand cleaner in my
tool kit. A&D cleans hands just
fine, and has a lot of other uses.
Also, nowadays, I fix flats with my
cell phone, so I don't need a
grease remover.

-- Joy Beeson joy beeson at
comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

Well, I can recommend the Neutrogena
100+. Did a long hard ride mostly in
direct sunlight yesterday and my tan
didn't change at all.

Once you have developed a good tan it
won't change much any more. Sometimes
when working in the yard for a few
minutes I get carried away and cut
bushes for a couple hours. No sun
screen at that time but the tan doesn't
change anymore. Since moving to
California in the 90's I also don't
seem to get sun burns anymore.

My ride was out towards the Altemont
Pass. If there is enough sun my arms will
turn red as if I got a sunburn but they
will be brown again the next day. But
with that 100+ there was absolutely NO
reaction.

Turning red is critical even if it "heals"
in a day. I had that as well years ago but
somehow not anymore. It all just tans a bit
more over the weeks.

On of my riding buddies has very white
skin, Irish/Scandinavian type. So he uses
SPF100 like you do and no tan or burn ever
develops.

One thing to remember is that a tan does not
prevent UV damage to the skin.

Yeah, that's a problem. However, people in
countries where the majority has naturally
darker skin fare much better in terms of skin
cancer rates despite a much higher UV
exposu

That is certainly true but on the other hand all
of the Caucasians I know who have developed skin
cancer in their later years were outdoors people
that had a good tan for much of their life.

The ones I know or knew :-( ... were mostly
light-skinned Caucasians with a more Nordic ethnic
background. They didn't easily develop a tan but
red skin and then blisters. Some of them
essentially remained red all summer. AFAIK that is
how the term redneck developed.

Nope :-) A Redneck was originally a term used for a
farmer. He followed a mule around the field all day
and the back of his neck got sunburned.

Sunburned. That's exactly what I said. It got red
because the farmer was of Northern European ancestry
and, therefore, his skin burned easily. A farmer of
Southern European, South Asian or African ethnicity
could plow the field all day and not get sunburned.

Not necessarily only Northern European ancestry. Nearly
all races will react to hot sun. When I was at Eniwetok
the guy in the next cot, in the tent we lived in, was a
Negro and he got got suprisingly darker after a time on
the island. Japanese, particularly women, will sunburn
and Chinese, and, and, and.

Sure, the tanning mechanism is the same. However, since
they have an intense natural tan the prevalence of skin
cancer in, for example, African Americans is hugely lower:

-- Regards, Joerg

Not so Joerg, EVERYONE gets sunburned. Just because a black
man's skin doesn't show red doesn't mean that he doesn't
sunburn. Remember that Homosapiens came from Northern Africa
so precisely the same mechanism is at work on everyone. Just
because a Chinese farmer is out in the sun all the time to
the extent that he has enough melanin to block most of the
UVA that he is exposed to in his area doesn't mean that he
wouldn't burn to a crisp elsewhere. This is why Arabs are
always totally covered.

Then why is the propensity to develop skin cancer about an
order of magnitude higher in Caucasians versus
African-Americans?

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I don't follow you. We were talking about sunburn and skin cancer
has to do with UVA rays effect on the skin and not particularly
sunburn. I suppose someone that gets sunburn all the time may be
more likely to get skin cancer but that doesn't mean that blacks
and Morros don't get sunburned. It isn't sunburn in and of itself
that causes cancer.

Dark-skinned people get sunburned much less than people with very
pale skin. I met many people from South America who work outdoors
all day long and never use sun screen yet don't get sunburns.
Because as you said this doesn't mean they won't run a risk of skin
cancer, medical people still recommend they use sun screen.

Despite all this their prevalence of skin cancer is way lower than
that of white folks. So it seems the darker skin is a good
protection against both skin cancer and sunburns.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Ahh, now we are in total agreement. I was just pointing out that
black and other dark skinned people can get sunburned. Here at 37
degrees north latitude we have a very large number of black people.
In the cold winters and little sunshine under the marine layer, in
the spring just like the rest of us they get sunburned if they are
careless.

They can but it takes a whole lot more of exposure to the sun. The
difference can be an order of magnitude.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Yeah, In the Arizona summer it would take 1 minute to turn you into a crispy critter and a black man might need 2 minutes.

Sunscreen report [email protected] Techniques 0 July 16th 17 07:07 AM
SUNSCREEN datakoll Techniques 5 May 19th 12 05:42 AM
sunscreen ate my paint [email protected] Techniques 45 September 5th 11 07:01 AM
Sunscreen: Spray or lotion? What you like? [email protected] Techniques 25 July 24th 08 05:21 PM
sunscreen makes you hotter? larry english Techniques 25 August 8th 03 01:58 AM