AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

Old July 22nd 18, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Beverage

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 13:04:55 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

If I would asked 100 riders on a MTB or road bike today (it was a nice sunny day here; 28 C)

It was a nice sunny day yesterday, 87F. (and, alas, nice sunny days
as far as the ten-day forecast can see.) [After I wrote that, we got
beyond as far as the forecast could see, and now the rain won't stop.
First the corn wilts, and then the lake rises onto the beach.]

I tried a new idea for beverage, and it worked well.

Instead of making switchel, I carried switchel concentrate in a bottle
I'd bought twenty-four ounces of honey in, and squirted some into the
front bottle each time I topped it off. (I also started with that
bottle full of ice cubes, and added ice from the cooler a few times.
It still spent considerable time warm.)

A while back, I boiled a quarter cup of red-wheat flour in half a cup
of "seasoned" (sugared and salted) rice vinegar and sufficient water
to make a pint. It came out thicker than previous experience had led
me to hope. I'll use a higher proportion of vinegar next time.

For the fireworks party, I made lemon syrup from two cups of fructose,
one cup of water, and six lemons. Nearly all of it was left over.

I put some from each of those jars into the honey bottle, added about
a tablespoon of freshly-grated ginger, and filled the bottle with
strained orange juice.

The orange juice is getting fizzy, so there was probably some alcohol
in it.

----------------------

I went on a "dump tour" the following Tuesday. This time I topped off
with "blackcherry-plum" juice, and thought I added too much. I held
up pretty well despite missing my usual glass of tea.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---
https://www.avg.com

Old July 29th 18, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default I hope this one sticks

On Fri, 15 Jun 2018 23:11:23 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I think I could put a quarter of a cup into
an imperial pint without making it too thick to strain.

Aha! That's why my switchel concentrate came out too thick. I used
an American Customary pint.

I pasteurized the remaining switchel concentrate, and put a sealing
lid on it while it was still hot. I fear that I won't be needing it
any time soon.

Today's ride didn't give me any ideas for Aunt Granny columns.

I bought stuff at both farmers' markets, bought a couple of essentials
at Owen's West, bought the wrong elastic at Lowery's (I picked up two
skeins and put the wrong one back. Or the right one back, depending
on your point of view.), bought nachos at the Animal Welfare League
"barbecue" (all the food was in crock pots), and didn't buy anything
at the Ace Hardware retirement sale. I should stock up on brackets
that fit my standard shelving standards, because they aren't available
anywhere else.

Old August 5th 18, 03:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Still out of topics

Wednesday, 1 August 2018

Weather Underground is still predicting a dry day for Friday.
Actually, today would have been a good day to be outdoors, but it was
threatening in the morning. I did go out and fluff the mulch in the
asparagus bed and push the cultivator around the garden. Should have
hauled some dirt, too, but I didn't.

I had been planning to use Friday to measure how long it takes me to
ride to Fort Wayne Orthopedics, then go out DuPuy's back door to Aldi,
and come back by way of the K-Mart crossing. Two extra miles, but
worth it to get out of crossing US 30 on Parker Street.

Then Wednesday's paper contained an ad for Pierceton Days. It's this
coming weekend and I'M NOT READY. Usually I go to the farmers'
markets on Saturday, come home, take a nap, and ride to the festival
for supper. Makes about a quarter century for the day. But my best
this year is the flat Leesburg loop, and that was back in April. I
feel as though I spent all of July in waiting rooms.

Eventually, I realized that the other Pierceton Day is Friday, the
stuff I mean to buy at Aldi isn't urgent, and I can come back from the
farmer's markets by way of Aldi -- the Parker Street crossing isn't
nearly as stressful going west. I'd rather get out of doing it, but
thinking about doesn't trigger traumatic-stress syndrome.

So I checked, and there is a good route from Orthopedic Drive to
Pierceton. Google doesn't know about it -- it lets you enter from
both US 30 and Old 30, but doesn't know that the two parts of the
driveway connect, so it won't let you go out that way.

So after locating the back doctor's office, I can have lunch in
Pierceton. I do hope that Harvest Church sells apple dumplings on
Fridays too. Vendors don't open until noon, but I never get off
before ten without spending the whole previous day getting ready.
(Well, it took the whole day the last time I did it, but the morning
was spent altering a jersey I've been intending to alter for weeks.)

So there's no way I'll get there before noon.

And if I need a spare part, I'm living in the right town.

Thursday 2 August 2019

I think I'm ready for tomorrow's ride. Replaced the loose elastic in
my riding knickers today.

At the last minute, I remembered that when going to Pierceton, I have
to carry as much water as if I were going out in the boonies. Only
one quart in the pannier, though, as one can buy bottled water at the
Lions booth if two bottles and a quart are not enough. I'm planning
to take switchel concentrate and three bags of ice -- I did re-fill
the ice bin.

I should keep an eye out for the hat vendor; I haven't been able to
make one that fits me as well as the one I bought at the tomato
festival when I forgot to bring a hat. I now have a visor permanently
bungeed to my emergency kit.

Still haven't found a saddle bag to keep my emergency kit in. It's
inconvenient to keep it in a drawstring bag tied to the rack and
bungeed down.

Looks like it might rain on Monday, but even if I drive, I need to
know where the place is.

Friday 3 August 2018

The fountain in Pierceton is working -- after a fashion. It was
running continuously. I refilled a bottle, and topped it off before I
left, but still tapped into the quart in the cooler before I got home.
I'd also stopped to beg water halfway to Pierceton. Makes at least
four bottles consumed. My shirt was quite wet when I got home.

Hit Sprawlmart going and coming. Didn't stop when going because I was
timing myself for Monday.

Nineteen or twenty miles, and I don't appear to have injured myself. I
was worried when my leg got sore about halfway home. Probably helps
that I stopped three times in the last few miles: bread at Aunt
Millie's, which involves climbing a set of steps that appear to have
been installed for my personal convenience (I don't know anybody old
enough to know what they used to lead to) and walking across two
parking lots; Ritter's for an ice-cream cone, which also involved some
walking because I turned onto US 30 instead of going straight and then
turning left (the rumble strip and the debris forced me into the
grass); and Big R on general principles. I park right by the door
there, but it's a *long* big-box store.

And I got no nap and it's pushing midnight; better shut down and go to
bed.

Saturday 4 August 2018

The plan to stop at Aldi came a cropper: I filled up my panniers at
the farmers' markets. Tomatoes, an onion, and a watermelon at the
first, crack candy and a pecan bar at the second.

Also, I didn't feel like skipping my nap two days in a row.

I was even wetter than yesterday when I got home; my jersey and do-rag
are still in a bucket of soda water; I soaked my gloves in plain
water, spun them out, and hung them on my brake cables to dry. Drank
only two bottles of water, but I was out for only a couple of hours.

I got a really cool idea for next week's column, but didn't write it
down. frownyface

I saw a wrong-way rider during today's expedition. They have become
quite rare.

It's de rigueur around here to block all alleys, driveways, wheelchair
ramps, etc, with low curbs. But the wheelchair-ramp curbs are *very*
low. When entering an alley today, I found a speed bump! They had
installed the curb across the alley mouth, then filled in behind it
with asphalt patch.

Old August 12th 18, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Riding through broken glass

Calloo, callay, oh frabjous day! A search of the entire folder shows
that I've never written on the topic of riding over sharp objects. Or
if I did, I didn't use the word "glass".

Ideally, when somebody smashes a few bottles in your path, you stop
and walk around the mess, and carefully brush your tires before
mounting up again. But one rarely sees the glass soon enough to do
that.

When you see that you are going to ride through a field of glass, you
may slow down as much as you can before hitting it, but you must not
brake, pedal, or steer while in it. All these actions scrub your
tires against the pavement. Most flakes of glass lie flat and you can
safely roll over them, but if you rub back and forth, you are likely
to find an edge.

So brake when you see glass ahead, and at the same time line up for
the safest path through. Stop braking before there's a chance that an
outlying flake is under your wheel, and roll through the glass without
allowing anything but air resistance to change your velocity.

Once through, you will be going slow enough that you can stop without
scrubbing your tires much. Get off, inspect your tires, and brush
them with something disposable or your leather-protected palms.

Old August 19th 18, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: If you can't miss it

I'm sure I've said this before, but there might conceivably be a new
reader out there.

If you can't miss it, hit it square. A bump that you hit at right
angles is much less likely to steer the bike out from under you than
one struck a glancing blow. Bumps are worse than drop-offs, so line
up with the near edge of a bump and the far edge of a hole.

Just before you hit a bump or a patch of rough road, set the cranks
horizontal and rise out of the saddle with your knees bent. This
saves you from a bruised butt, and it saves the bike from being
crushed between the bump and the inertia of your weight -- your bent
legs serve as shock absorbers. I feel that this position also gives
me better control of the bike.

Old August 23rd 18, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Yesterday's News

I nearly always read the paper the following day, because the
e-edition gives access only to the archives and I need a magnifier to
read the paper version. (I have an appointment to do something about
that the Friday after next.)

So it was reported on Tuesday that on Monday (it's a morning paper,
delivered in the afternoon to subscribers.) a moped rider was injured
when he ran into the side of a red-light runner.

Which reminded me of the oft-repeated mantra: when the right-of-way
is yours, don't bet your life that you will get it.

Old August 26th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: expired note

Huh? It's Saturday! Didn't feel like it; I spent the whole day
grumping inside because of the pouring rain. No, I won't melt, but
grumping around the house is more fun than riding in a thunderstorm.
Doesn't make as good a story, though, like the time I worried about
being able to see through the rain to avoid the big limbs being blown
down onto the road, then the dime dropped and I dived for the nearest
shelter.

What do you know, there *is* a post in the drafts folder. Only an
embryo that hasn't been deleted yet, but it's already past bedtime.

While cleaning up my training diary, I found a note dated Tuesday
8 May 2018.

It says "McK: asphalt erode", by which I meant that I must continue
to be cautious of what might be hidden in the shadow of the overpass,
because the same drip that wore away the old pavement has already
marked the new pavement. Suspecting shadows of concealing death traps
is probably a good policy in general.

It also says "bad pave alley", by which I meant to remind myself to
write a post saying that bad pavement is another reason to be very
careful in alleys, but I've forgotten what I meant to say.

"As I say, not as I". Probably meant to remind me to write a post
about the importance of braking with both hands, but I think I already
did that.

Old September 2nd 18, 04:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Face grease

Went to the farmer's markets today; didn't write anything, but this
scrap from the unfinished-drafts folder will be in season soon:

Getting ready to go for groceries this afternoon, I smeared my nose
and prominent parts of my face with stick sunscreen to keep out the
cold wind, then (because it was sunny) put on a lotion of higher SPF
to cover any spots I'd missed.

Which reminded me of the primary rule of greasing the face: put the
thicker grease on first: jelly can be spread on peanut butter, but
Peanut butter doesn't stick to jelly.

Back when I could ride on days when I got salty slush thrown into my
face, I'd put on lipstick first, then petroleum jelly, and finally
olive oil.

It's officially spring, the daffodils have buds, and I can see the
tips of tulip leaves. Won't be long before I'm looking for sunscreen
that doesn't have grease in it.

Old September 9th 18, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Aunt Granny's Advice, or How to become an elderly cyclist:

No time to write this week, so here's a ride report.

Weather Underground said there was a reasonable chance that I wouldn't
get rained on if I got home by twelve.

The weather has suddenly changed from to hot that my jersey gets so
wet that I need help getting out of it to just a mite chilly, so I
wasn't all that cheerful about getting rained on.

but I really, really wanted to go to the markets today, so I decided
to gamble.

I thought it was crack-candy day, but it was goat's milk day instead.
Also some cookies, but I didn't buy any of those despite having
breakfasted on a fig bar and a handful of pills in the interest of
getting back sooner.

In deference to the rain, I skipped the stop at International Foods.
We are completely out of New Zealand corned beef, but it took me six
months to get around to using that can, and I have nearly half of it
left. Not to mention that International Foods should be a leisurely
stroll, not a dash-and-grab.

Corned-beef-and-eggplant lasagna is surprisingly good; I bought four
more little eggplants, but we are almost out of shredded mozzarella
seasoned with romano, asiago, and parmesan. And completely out of
lasagne; perhaps I could make eggplant parmesan, eking out the
"Italian-style" cheese with swiss cheese and cheddar. I've never
liked eggplant parmesan, but I've never had it made with *small*
eggplants, that were simply sliced and fried in olive oil, rather than
huge thick slices elaborately processed, then breaded.

I bought four eggplants and three boxes of tiny tomatoes at the
fairgrounds market, then went to Carneciaria San Jose for salsa
mexicana, but they were still out. I did buy three kinds of refried
beans. More-or-less straight to the courthouse market, where I bought
a pint of milk. Railroad construction and one-way alleys complicated
the path. (The Norfolk-Southern line runs down the middle of Hickory
Street, and they recently changed the rails. And some utility has
taken advantage of the disruption to lay a new main of some sort.

And the Buffalo Street Project complicated the trip back. I stayed
rather longer at the Safety Day than I should have, and didn't see as
much as I would have liked.

I've walked from the Library to Central Park before, but I was
confused trying to find my way from Central Park to the library. Took
longer than it should have to get out of the park, because I couldn't
ride on the walkways when the place was jammed with small children who
might kill themselves following my example.

I wasn't amused by the book sale when I got there -- partly because I
was anxious to get home before the rain. One of the Friends of the
Library mentioned that she had a cart of graphic novels in the
book-sale room, waiting their turn for the mini-sale.

I wanted to have lunch at Chinatown Express; last week I had a bowl of
superb vegetable soup there, and I wanted to try one of the others --
not to mention that I'd had only a fig bar for breakfast. But it was
threatening to rain and it took me forty-five minutes to eat that
vegetable soup on my previous visit.

Back across Hickory Street, walking because I was on Main now, which
is one way the wrong way. But it's only a half block from Detroit to
a street that leads to Fort Wayne, which is one-way my way.

The cottonwood leaves on the board walk made me nervous even though
there was enough boardwalk showing to make it unlikely that there was
a slimy layer underneath -- the doctors (four so far) who are trying
to put me back together would be quite cross if I were to slip and
fall.

At Owen's, a dash-and-grab for a gallon of milk and a pound of butter
took me nearly twenty minutes, and it was 12:56 when I came out. It
started to rain while I was mounting up, but I was only speckled when
I got home at 13:09, so though I didn't win my bet, I didn't lose.

Posted without editing.

Old September 10th 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Whoosh! After realizing that I'd said "fig bar" where I meant
"fruit-and-grain bar" -- they are very similar, but the
fruit-and-grain bar is equal to two or three fig bars -- I meant to
post a follow-up saying "un-edited" means "don't believe a word of
it". I've no doubt made much more misleading remarks, but refuse to
read the post and find out.

But I never thought that I might forget to change the subject line.